Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the etiquette of EVs but something's just seem like common sense.

The local mall put in 2 FLO charger posts consisting of two level 2 and 2two level 3 and three EV parking spots.

I was driving by and noticed a Chevy Volt parked in an EV spot not plugged in. Is this acceptable? If so I would love to take advantage, but I always feel like those should be open to anyone who needs to charge.

I'm curious about others opinion on this.

·
Registered
74 Posts
spaces should only be for charging. its bad form. Here in Ireland there are a number of places where the charging bays have a sign saying electric cars preferred which is a cute way of saying no penalty for ice cars or parking while not charging. as more electric cars are bought every year penalties for this behavior will need to be introduced.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like the often-used sign "Reserved Parking - Electric Vehicles Only" ought to be changed to "Reserved Parking - Electric Vehicles While Charging Only", with a supplemental sign to remind owners to move their EV after charging.
This should be at all charging stations.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Also an apps or a way to alert that charging is completed, both to the first owner as well as someone waiting to charge. I set the timer on my mobile phone, and I have an app to monitor the charging progress. And a couple of time, I had people leaving a sticky paper note on my windscreen with their phone number, I text them when done charging.

·
Registered
179 Posts
This should be at all charging stations.
I had the idea that we can all email the management of the properties, shopping malls, et. to educate them about this. After all, they're probably pretty ignorant about EV's. But then I think the people installing the charge stations would be better. In the US, the two largest networks I think are Chargepoint and EVGo, I'm going to look up see if I can find how to email them, probably the PR or Marketing department.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There is a free level 2 charger in the underground parking at my wife's office building with two spots. A Volt owner has claimed one spot for themselves by parking all day every day. I dislike free chargers only for the fact that it only takes one person to spoil it for everyone else. It should be free for a couple of hours and a steep charge after that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
unfortunatelly this is the same as parking in the spots for the families with small kids or handicapped parking...some people are just ignorant and arrogant at the same time...never ever seen a car being towed from that spot for breaking the rule. I do believe however I heard about fines being given to people disregarding this...handicapped spots only,though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Curious about this: when I look at the ChargePoint app on my phone and see the space being used by a vehicle, is there a way to ping the owner after a reasonable amount of time to ask that he/she move the vehicle ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Curious about this: when I look at the ChargePoint app on my phone and see the space being used by a vehicle, is there a way to ping the owner after a reasonable amount of time to ask that he/she move the vehicle ?
That's a good idea and would be a useful feature, a reminder. Perhaps we can email Chargepoint and suggest, it would be pretty simple for them to implement. For us to directly ping the owner would be a bit more difficult, hmm...how can it be done?

·
Registered
339 Posts
This is a problem where they place theese EV-charge-spots near the entrence of stores. using/blocking "popular" parking spots...

When chargers are furtherst away from the entrance, this is not a problem...
EV chargers shold not be put close to entrance and side by side with the Handicap spots, its bad planning.
(its the shortest and cheapest way to run the wiring)

Chargers are for those who NEED CHARGING, traveled furthest.
Not for the local dumbas that have drivven 1km to get there and use the spot to get free parking near the entrance.

Thow them, report them, write down lisenceplate, put notes on they windscreen, honk the horn when they come out to get in their car...
Chargespots are like GOLD, presious! Missuse equals in the end that owner shuts of power, "no juice for anyone"!

(Yes i have an oppinion :p )

·
Registered
247 Posts
I also have problems with PHEVs that have finished charging within 2 hours and leave the car many more hours there.

Have a look at Twitter account @ivebeeniced and tweet your photo of the "ICEtards" to that account. It will be retweeted. Also include the twitter account of the responsible of the blocked charger, like the community or the shop you are visiting.

Some people got so annoyed that they let the air out of the tyre(s) of the blocking car :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn BV7000 Pro met Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
This is a problem where they place theese EV-charge-spots near the entrence of stores. using/blocking "popular" parking spots...

When chargers are furtherst away from the entrance, this is not a problem...
EV chargers shold not be put close to entrance and side by side with the Handicap spots, its bad planning.
Amen, brother.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Some people got so annoyed that they let the air out of the tyre(s) of the blocking car :)
That is Vandalism and we are not doing that..
Or vigilante "in the pursuit of self-perceived justice without legal authority"...

Parking behind them and plug in your 7m chargecable, blocking them in? Yes, i'd do that. >:)

Reactions: bluecar1

·
Registered
247 Posts
Parking behind them and plug in your 7m chargecable, blocking them in? Yes, i'd do that. >:)
Some park and plug in, but do not start the charger. If I find one of those in my way, I will give them a present: a free charge on my own costs with my own RFID. How and when they want to unplug is not my business, they can call the hotline.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn BV7000 Pro met Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow that is a bit much. I know this is being too easy but I think a simple note stating charging etiquette would do fine. I know a lot of it is common sense, but maybe some people really think its okay and just need to be informed. And yes I am 100% sure some people just think they are entitled.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have never used a charge point with my PHEV but I would never say never.

But whilst broadly on the subject of ettiquette. Supermarkets etc I understand but health clubs, hotels etc that where it says free charging or even if not to you just drive up and plug in or ask first. I simply don't know?

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
8,172 Posts
Have a look at Twitter account @ivebeeniced and tweet your photo of the "ICEtards" to that account. It will be retweeted. Also include the twitter account of the responsible of the blocked charger, like the community or the shop you are visiting.
if a supermarket / store you could also try going to customer services with the make / model / reg and get them to use the PA system to ask them to move it :) :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts