Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
2023 Hyundai IONIQ 5 SEL AWD (Gravity Gold)
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
US build and price is up.

SEL AWD has estimated EPA range of 270.

My SEL AWD HI5 has EPA range of 266.

A 1.5% increase. Wow, the range/efficiency was overhyped!

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
19' Chevy Bolt
104 Posts
Maybe not so. The EPA estimate on my bolt is 259 miles I will clear 300 miles during warmer months (60f-80f), 140-180 miles during winter and 225-260 when its 90+.

The I6 will already be a drastic improvement for me during the winter with a heat pump.

Regardless the first thing coming off are the wheels in favor of some 19"s and some lowering springs.

· Registered
17 Posts
One thing I wonder, is when you put the Ioniq 6 in Eco-mode, which (according to manual) is essentially rear wheel drive (unless you step on the gas up a hill) how much, if any, difference that might make. I mean if I'm going on a long trip I don't care if my 0-60 goes from 5.1 to 7 sec, but if sticking it in Eco gives me 30-40 more miles then you have the perfect balance of mileage when you want it, and power when you want it.

Also, the drag co should work that this might be one of the few cars that gets better 'mileage' on the highway. Or to put it another way, in city/suburb driving the 5 & 6 might be real close. But if your taking a long trip doing a constant 65 on the Interstate, that's where the 6 should shine over the 5 and most other EV cars.

One of the first things I want to do with my 6 is take it on like a 100 mile Eco mode trip down I-66 and back and then compare it to 100 miles worth of suburban driving, start stop, accelerating etc...

· Registered
2022 IONIQ5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
1,781 Posts
A) bless you both for reading the manual before purchasing, I do that too, and so many folks on this forum would be happier if they did too :D.

B) Range is great, there are going to be a ton of people delighted with over 360 miles for 45k.
  • That's 5k cheaper and 90 miles better than the current Polestar 2 and 60 miles better than the refresh coming.
  • That's 3k more MSRP than a Tesla model 3 with 88 more miles range
  • That's 7k less than an i4 with 100-120 more miles of range

In short, everyone that says the won't buy an ev until it has 'over 300 miles in range' can buy this and get well over that easily, it's going to be awesome.

Higher trims? yup, range is less, just like other OEMs with same size battery.

The OP is kinda like dismissing the entire Rav4 lineup because only the one intended to get great range and mileage, the Rav4 Prime, gets it.

We've known pretty much since it was announced that there would be one, amazing trim for those 100% focused on range above all else.

Plus over 300 miles range in the AWD variant of the SE? rad.

Overhyped range to me is hyping a range on a model you don't sell:

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

VS. one you are selling:

Water Ecoregion Natural landscape Font Landscape

Cue mythical Tesla Model 3 Long Range announced production the moment the SE IONIQ6 hits :p.

· Registered
11 Posts
I agree^ I've been reading the manual too and if I understand correctly it looks like if you spec your "my mode" in rwd that it will basically stay in RWD
Hats off to folks who have read the manual and are kind enough to share the nuggets. It is great news that AWD can be made to run like RWD on "my mode". Recoup the 45 mile lost in AWD? Hoping so.

· Registered
317 Posts
Its because Hyundai decided to put the 20 inch wheels on the SEL of the Ioniq 6, where as SEL ioniq 5 comes with 19 inch wheels. Ioniq 6 SE AWD (18 inch wheels) gets 316 miles EPA.
This.

There's no magic. The larger the wheels the less range you will achieve.

And AWD has a penalty too when using dual permanent magnet motors. BMW moved to externally excited (brushed) motors which have proven to be highly efficient. The iX and i4 easily exceed EPA estimates which is a rarity with EV.

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Number

· Registered
11 Posts
This.

There's no magic. The larger the wheels the less range you will achieve.

And AWD has a penalty too when using dual permanent magnet motors. BMW moved to externally excited (brushed) motors which have proven to be highly efficient. The iX and i4 easily exceed EPA estimates which is a rarity with EV.

View attachment 48845
If the BMW i4 motors make it exceed EPA range (300 miles RWD) and I6 RWD is EPA rated 361, the difference in range i4 vs I6 should be marginal - right?

· Registered
317 Posts
If the BMW i4 motors make it exceed EPA range (300 miles RWD) and I6 RWD is EPA rated 361, the difference in range i4 vs I6 should be marginal - right?
Unsure. Hyundai says 303 miles of range on the Ioniq 5 RWD SEL but folks can only achieve 247 miles at 70mph ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Ioniq5/comments/wfavv6 )

BMW i4 RWD (18" or 19") can achieve 300+ miles of range at 70mph. I personally have seen this and this video also shows others have too.

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Electric blue

I suspect Hyundai's range figures are very much for slow speed driving and real world 70mph range for 361 is closer to 320 or less. BUT the Ioniq 6 is very aerodynamic design so highway efficiency will be vastly better than the Ioniq 5 so maybe it could hit 320-330 miles on the highway?

· Registered
19' Chevy Bolt
104 Posts
Unsure. Hyundai says 303 miles of range on the Ioniq 5 RWD SEL but folks can only achieve 247 miles at 70mph ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Ioniq5/comments/wfavv6 )

BMW i4 RWD (18" or 19") can achieve 300+ miles of range at 70mph. I personally have seen this and this video also shows others have too.

View attachment 48847

I suspect Hyundai's range figures are very much for slow speed driving and real world 70mph range for 361 is closer to 320 or less. BUT the Ioniq 6 is very aerodynamic design so highway efficiency will be vastly better than the Ioniq 5 so maybe it could hit 320-330 miles on the highway?
Yeah the i5 is built like an 80's brick Volvo lol

· Registered
2022 IONIQ5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
1,781 Posts

View attachment 48847
BMW indicates the i4 M50 should manage 270 miles range at 70 mph and insideEV's managed 239 so range figures seem to be all over the place depending on where and when these vehicles are tested.

I routinely see 275-285 at 100% in my AWD Limited IONIQ 5 at 67-70 on relatively flat highway in southern California, shrug.

· Registered
317 Posts
BMW indicates the i4 M50 should manage 270 miles range at 70 mph and insideEV's managed 239 so range figures seem to be all over the place depending on where and when these vehicles are tested.

I routinely see 275-285 at 100% in my AWD Limited IONIQ 5 at 67-70 on relatively flat highway in southern California, shrug.
The M50 is a wicked fast performance car with 20" summer performance tires (I see the oversized tires in the InsideEV video) so range will be terrible. In fact the EPA with the 20" tires is actually 220-ish so it actually beats their estimates. That EV smokes the EV6 GT I test drove. EV6 GT needs to be over 70% and have battery warming on AND the boost mode button needs to be pressed to achieve full performance but the BWM i4 M50 is just wickedly fast all the time. I autocrossed it twice. The Ioniq 5 N will probably be crippled like the EV6 GT. I still want a EV6 GT though :)

Price wise that M50 is $77K+ fully loaded so not in the same class as the Ioniq 5 + EV6.

· Registered
19' Chevy Bolt
104 Posts
The M50 is a wicked fast performance car with 20" summer performance tires (I see the oversized tires in the InsideEV video) so range will be terrible. In fact the EPA with the 20" tires is actually 220-ish so it actually beats their estimates. That EV smokes the EV6 GT I test drove. EV6 GT needs to be over 70% and have battery warming on AND the boost mode button needs to be pressed to achieve full performance but the BWM i4 M50 is just wickedly fast all the time. I autocrossed it twice. The Ioniq 5 N will probably be crippled like the EV6 GT. I still want a EV6 GT though :)

Price wise that M50 is $77K+ fully loaded so not in the same class as the Ioniq 5 + EV6.

I think you forgot one thing, The BMW looks absolutely terrible. And as someone who has owned a few BMW's I will never buy one as they are designed to last the lease period and nothing more

· Registered
317 Posts
I think you forgot one thing, The BMW looks absolutely terrible. And as someone who has owned a few BMW's I will never buy one as they are designed to last the lease period and nothing more
I've owned nearly a dozen EVs now (yes I have a problem) but the only two that have received constant compliments were the RAV4 Prime and BMW i4. I've owned the Ioniq 5 Limited for a few days and did receive attention on the second day so maybe it will be the biggest attention getting. Strangely... the Mach-Es I've owned turn heads but few every approach and compliment on it. And Teslas... yeah nobody cares :)

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Vehicle Seat belt Motor vehicle Car seat cover

Few seem to care about the Mach-E.

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

· Registered
19' Chevy Bolt
104 Posts
I've owned nearly a dozen EVs now (yes I have a problem) but the only two that have received constant compliments were the RAV4 Prime and BMW i4. I've owned the Ioniq 5 Limited for a few days and did receive attention on the second day so maybe it will be the biggest attention getting. Strangely... the Mach-Es I've owned turn heads but few every approach and compliment on it. And Teslas... yeah nobody cares :)

View attachment 48848

View attachment 48849

View attachment 48852

Few seem to care about the Mach-E.

View attachment 48850 View attachment 48851
If you really want attention buy a bobbed M35a3.

The new BMW design language is shocking and maybe that's what BMW wants, but it is nowhere as beautiful as the F chassis cars.

Mach 5's come in bright colors and in a sea of monotone colors they stand out.

The RAV4 is a shocker, as looks like every other SUV/cuv to me.

I loved the i5 until I saw it in person. The press photos reminded me of and made me think it was the same size as lancia delta hf integrale, then I saw one in public and boy was I wrong. With that being said I can see them from two miles away.

· Registered
15 Posts
US build and price is up.

SEL AWD has estimated EPA range of 270.

My SEL AWD HI5 has EPA range of 266.

A 1.5% increase. Wow, the range/efficiency was overhyped!

View attachment 48822
I have Ioniq 5 Limited 2023 - disappointed with range
getting 170 miles at 80% correlates to approx total of 221. I expected much more. I do not drive in ECO mode

· Registered
18 Posts

Do you use A/C or heater?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts