Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
'22 Ioniq 5 SE RWD (formerly '21 Ioniq PHEV SEL)
176 Posts
I don't have pictures, but the first I5 that my local dealer got their hands on early this year was apparently completely totaled while on a test drive. The young salesman from dealership riding in the passenger seat was injured, though thankfully it was minor.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate RWD 72.6kWh + tech + eco [MY22.5]
148 Posts
View attachment 43513
View attachment 43512

Not my car - happened in my city over the weekend. Managed to walk by it shortly after it happened.

Pained me as I'm still waiting for delivery on mine!
Wow... I wonder how the battery pack fared during that crash...

I wonder if it was stolen, I mean it's a strange place to have such a devastating crash (must have been pretty high speed?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Hyundai Ioniq hybrid 2019. My dad was pulling into the parking lot carefully. The car suddenly and unconditionally accelerated and they crashed into the building in front of the parking spots. While this is a known issue with 2019 Ioniq EV, I haven't seen it with the hybrids. But it happened yesterday. There's no way to car could have gone to such a high speed from "pressing on the gas instead of the breaks" and my dad is an extremely safe driver. Plus, they were literally about to park.

Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
255 Posts
There's no way to car could have gone to such a high speed from "pressing on the gas instead of the breaks" and my dad is an extremely safe driver. Plus, they were literally about to park.
Highly unlikely that's true. Even high performance cars don't have enough power to overcome the brakes.

If you unknowingly step on the wrong pedal thinking it's the brakes and the car accelerates instead, reflexes will will have you mashing HARD on the "brake" (actually gas) pedal to stop the acceleration - which of course only makes it worse. I had a similar experience long ago and even though I "knew" - exactly - what happened, subsequent analysis showed that was impossible. I had stepped on the wrong pedal.

I suspect the CAN-bus system on the car has detailed records of what happened (kind of like an aircraft flight recorder), and that data will show the gas pedal was pressed, not the brake.

This all harkens back to the then-infamous Audi 5000 unintended acceleration issue from long ago ('80s?). It was people pressing the wrong pedal. It happens when people go from one car to another with slight differences in pedal placement, or are situated in their car a bit differently from usual. It can happen even to highly skilled and careful drivers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Highly unlikely that's true. Even high performance cars don't have enough power to overcome the brakes.

If you unknowingly step on the wrong pedal thinking it's the brakes and the car accelerates instead, reflexes will will have you mashing HARD on the "brake" (actually gas) pedal to stop the acceleration - which of course only makes it worse. I had a similar experience long ago and even though I "knew" - exactly - what happened, subsequent analysis showed that was impossible. I had stepped on the wrong pedal.

I suspect the CAN-bus system on the car has detailed records of what happened (kind of like an aircraft flight recorder), and that data will show the gas pedal was pressed, not the brake.

This all harkens back to the then-infamous Audi 5000 unintended acceleration issue from long ago ('80s?). It was people pressing the wrong pedal. It happens when people go from one car to another with slight differences in pedal placement, or are situated in their car a bit differently from usual. It can happen even to highly skilled and careful drivers.
Even when you're literally parking the car at very low speed? There's a slight uphill going to the parking spot, so you have to press on the gas to go up. And then you let off as you come into the spot. You're using the gas pedal, not the breaks, to go up the hill. How can you end up using the wrong pedal to break? That makes 0 sense. It's been documented that this happened with Ioniq EVs, so it's not a stretch to say it could happen with the hybrid.

By the way, that very morning, my dad turned on the car, and it sounded like someone was pushing down on the gas pedal even though they were parked and he didn't a foot on either pedal. He turned the car off, turned it on, the sound was gone.

Something's definitely fishy.

·
Registered
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
255 Posts
Even when you're literally parking the car at very low speed? There's a slight uphill going to the parking spot, so you have to press on the gas to go up. And then you let off as you come into the spot. You're using the gas pedal, not the breaks, to go up the hill. How can you end up using the wrong pedal to break? That makes 0 sense. It's been documented that this happened with Ioniq EVs, so it's not a stretch to say it could happen with the hybrid.

By the way, that very morning, my dad turned on the car, and it sounded like someone was pushing down on the gas pedal even though they were parked and he didn't a foot on either pedal. He turned the car off, turned it on, the sound was gone.

Something's definitely fishy.
I'm open to being shown I'm wrong, but if the car suddenly accelerated, wouldn't your dad instantly stand on the brake? Or did the collision happen a short distance beyond where the car took off, within his reaction time to get on the brake?

While I'm not an expert on today's electronics, I believe there should be a complete record of everything the car was doing shortly before the crash. (You probably need dealer equipment to read it, and a 'decoder ring' to understand the codes.) When going back through the data, all you need to do to find it is locate the point where the airbags detonated and go a little farther back. There should be lists of everything like road speed, brake application, throttle position, readings from all engine sensors, what devices were on or off, ambient temp, etc., all time-stamped.

Alternatively, if there is a recall about this issue, there should be a detailed record of it at NHTSA.gov. If there are known incidents of Ioniqs suddenly going to full throttle, seems to me that would make Big News.

BTW, the Audi 5000 debacle made big news when a woman was pulling into her garage to park, the car suddenly took off and killed her son when she hit the back wall. (And then 60 Minutes did a show on it and turned it into a circus.) There were all sorts of crazy stories circulating about demonic-level power overcoming the brakes, etc. In the end it was just people stepping on the wrong pedal.

But that was then, this is now, and today software has MUCH more control over our cars than back then. I can see how a software bug might possibly cause what you describe. But I cannot accept that the car can make enough power to overcome the brakes. Not gonna happen.

I hope you can get this sorted out. Best of luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep, here's the big news about the 2019 Ioniq EV:

Mine is hybrid. But not much of a stretch to think it might affect us too...

It was a very short distance! Look at the photo, he was pretty much parked. See the bushes? Basically you go up a little incline with the bushes to the right, then a turn to get into our parking spot, which is the very first one. You have to go reaaaal slow otherwise you can hit the curb, other cars, etc. I don't know if he hit the breaks, we will see in the report. It happened in literally seconds. In front of the car is the building they hit. It was so forceful it broke pieces of the building which they had to fix right away. Look how smashed to car is. It wasn't a small crash. It was incredibly forceful and my dad said the car was completely out of control, even though seconds before they were going super slowly and about to go into Park.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts