Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • Question of The Week Is LIVE In The Off-Topic Section!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

There's one thing I dislike about the Ioniq headrests and I think they're the same in other Hyundai's as well, because I know the i-10 has them: It forces your back and neck forward even when you try to lay back a bit and relax, so you're always sitting in some kind of halfmoon-shape, not good for my back aches! Does anyone know where to get other headrests that don't force your head foward this much, that would fit the Ioniq? So far google hasn't helped me much... Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,126 Posts
I haven't tried this but what if you turned it around and installed it backwards when you wanted to rest?

·
Registered
783 Posts
The headrests on my front seats are adjustable fore and aft as well as up and down. I find them a perfect fit as I can adjust mine so that my head just touches the centre of the headrest when in normal driving position. This is as they should be to give maximum safety. A gap between head and headrest could result in whiplash injuries in the event of a sudden stop/accident.

Reactions: Decro

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi all,

There's one thing I dislike about the Ioniq headrests and I think they're the same in other Hyundai's as well, because I know the i-10 has them: It forces your back and neck forward even when you try to lay back a bit and relax, so you're always sitting in some kind of halfmoon-shape, not good for my back aches! Does anyone know where to get other headrests that don't force your head foward this much, that would fit the Ioniq? So far google hasn't helped me much... Thanks! :)
Yep, I have a big head and turned mine around upon delivery. Fixed it!

·
Registered
557 Posts
They are adjustable and if I recall correctly you have to pull it forward in order to move it back.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't tried this but what if you turned it around and installed it backwards when you wanted to rest?
This actually works quite well, thank you! :) We have a small neck pillow that can be attached to the seat and now we have the neck support from that pillow as well as the possibility to rest your head a bit without feeling like a banana ?

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium
764 Posts
They are adjustable and if I recall correctly you have to pull it forward in order to move it back.
Happy with this news for me. I drove around with the headrest too far forward since 2017 and dealer couldn't help me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does anyone know the part number for the UK adjustable headrests? The headrests are the only part of the Ioniq that I find uncomfortable. They don't at all fit me. Turning them around may work for a passenger when on a long drive, but not for the driver...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine are adjusted all the way and I still hate them. Hurts after about 10 minutes of driving. No other car does that. I will flip them around upon delivery but stay on the lookout for third party ones has it can't be safe to just flip them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine are adjusted all the way and I still hate them. Hurts after about 10 minutes of driving. No other car does that. I will flip them around upon delivery but stay on the lookout for third party ones has it can't be safe to just flip them.
Well that sucks. My friends 2018 i30 is very comfortable, and I paid good attention to the headrests last time I was in it as I had recently discovered the neck pain caused by the Ioniq. Its weird Hyundai failed at making headrests, it seems so simple..considering others are (including Hyundai) are very comfortable.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Interesting that so many are apparently resting their head on the "headrests". Going to guess those doing so prefer a more reclined position than normal. The primary purpose of the headrest is whiplash reduction in case of accident. My head never touches the rest in any car I've owned or used, nor do I need one normally seated in a chair outside the car.

·
Registered
519 Posts
o
Interesting that so many are apparently resting their head on the "headrests". Going to guess those doing so prefer a more reclined position than normal. The primary purpose of the headrest is whiplash reduction in case of accident. My head never touches the rest in any car I've owned or used, nor do I need one normally seated in a chair outside the car.
I agree yticolev and I do prefer a somewhat more reclined position than many folks. My DW who is 5'2 adjusts the driver's seat upright and as close as possible to the steering wheel in any car, so she can reach the pedals better. She often appears to be right up against the wheel.

The only car that I have ever driven that IMO had a truly ergonomic headrest that was in the exact right position to contact my head, but only if I so chose, was a 2019 Toyota Corolla Sport model that I rented for a return trip from Seattle to Vancouver two summers ago, just before I got my new Ioniq. It was a eureka moment for me, since I'd never been so comfortable in any seat as I was in that car. I was wishfully hoping for a similar experience in the my new Ioniq.

When my Ioniq arrived I realized that this was not the case and on further research soon discovered that some Ioniq models in other countries are fitted with an adjustable headrest and that I was not alone in my desire for a more comfortable driving position.

I do enjoy the Ioniq seating in general and I certainly feel no worse for wear after driving my car. If I had not driven that Corolla I would never have known that there could be a better fitting headrest. The rest of that Corolla ..... well, not so much. The seat and headrest were the best things about that car for me. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Honestly, I don't rest my head on the headrest in the other cars I regularly drive (90s BMWs, 2015 Forester, 2018 Volt) but I am able to adjust the headrests to comfortable support my head if I want to. I can't help but rest my head on the headrest in the Ioniq because the headrest is so poorly designed and so far forward. I maintain a reasonably upright seating position too (literally as specified by the doc), I grew out of the gangster lean when I herniated a disc a decade ago.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Due to back problems I actually sit fairly right up, and that's why the headrest is so annoying: it's pushing my head forward by a lot.

If i recline the seat more, the problem is less, but still here.

Like others said, in other cars I do not touch the headrest, except when I want to for some head resting (hence the name) but in the Ioniq i HAVE to touch it, and it pushed my head which hurts my neck.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I like the extra space created by having the seat-back reclined somewhere between a gangster lean and hard against the wheel to allow me to get into the driver's seat more easily. I find it's more of a squeeze with the seat base/back positioned further forward. YRMV

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are forward-backward adjustable front headrests a UK-only option, or is it only on the top trim level? The headrests on my 2019 SEL only adjust up and down. What's worse is that they don't STAY where adjusted; as your head brushes against them, they move continuously upwards. The locking mechanism is apparently useless.

Annoying AF.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Are forward-backward adjustable front headrests a UK-only option, or is it only on the top trim level? The headrests on my 2019 SEL only adjust up and down. What's worse is that they don't STAY where adjusted; as your head brushes against them, they move continuously upwards. The locking mechanism is apparently useless.

Annoying AF.
Nope. Mine has it and it's the medium trim level (2020 38k EV France)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had my EV for a week and ran into the same issues. Only way I knew to turn them around was because my impreza headrests did the same thing with pushing my head too far forward. If you go to target, they have a gel neck pillow for driving that attaches to the seat. You can put that on if you find that you head goes too far back with the headrest turned around.

hope this helps!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts