Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq EV 2017 - Irish spec (similar to UK premium spec)
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I can only find older threads on this, and one or two people casually mentioning their SOH in random posts.

Thought it would be good to do a round up thread to see how the batteries are doing 4 years later.

Other info like mileage would be good to hear as well!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi

I can only find older threads on this, and one or two people casually mentioning their SOH in random posts.

Thought it would be good to do a round up thread to see how the batteries are doing 4 years later.

Other info like mileage would be good to hear as well!
90000km on my 2017 EV and 100% SOH

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Premium (EV)
103 Posts
It is thanks to the Leaf and other early EVs with suboptimal battery management and no cooling, that battery degradation has become such a pronounced issue. But in reality, on newer EVs it really shouldn't be. Not even on Leafs if you treat them right.

From what I can find, no one has reported any battery degradation for Ioniq EVs to speak of. Of course there is the occasional bad battery cell (or battery pack), but generally it don't seem to have any degradation issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the battery able to cope with a few cells going open circuit?

I presume they have to be designed in a way they can't short?

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,073 Posts
Is the battery able to cope with a few cells going open circuit?

I presume they have to be designed in a way they can't short?
The original 28 kWh pack had 96 pouch cells in series, if one went open circuit that would break the circuit through the whole thing and leave you high and dry. The 38 kWh pack has 88 cell groups in series with each group having two pouch cells in parallel. If a cell went open circuit the pack could still work, although peak current would be cut in half. That robs you of acceleration, range, and charging speed. You could still get around but it would be noticeable and you'd be wanting it fixed asap. Another member here had a bad cell limiting his pack and eventually got it fixed.

As for a shorted cell, that's an internal fault and there's really nothing you can do externally to prevent or mitigate it. You could make the battery pack giant so that cells were all thermally insulated from each other to avoid a runaway fire, but that would be too large to be practical in a car. Proper cell design and quality control in manufacturing is about all you can do to limit short circuit risk in a practical car battery based on a small number of large pouch cells. That seems to be where LG stumbled with the cells in the recalled 38 kWh Ioniqs.

Tesla's battery packs do generally handle shorted cells, but that's because they use a lot of very small cylindrical cells in parallel so the loss of a single cell a) doesn't cut the car's capabilities in half, and b) doesn't release enough energy to cause a runaway fire in the entire pack. More cells in the pack translates to higher costs though, and Tesla has been moving to larger and larger cells in order to bring their costs down. It remains to be seen if their upcoming batteries based on the new 4680 cell will be as safe as their traditional packs have been.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might as well respond to my own thread!

Over 69,000km

Was left abondoned in an auction house for nearly a year due to COVID!

100% SOH.

Here's a battery map at (can't remember exactly) around 90% charged to show how well the cells are behaving.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,073 Posts
At a glance I don't spot any cell that isn't 4.02 so the balance is excellent. I strongly doubt that you'll have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well this thread's no longer for me Kevin! It's for people in the situation I was in, looking to buy a car and wanting to know what the battery stats on a healthy car look like.

I'll dump this here as well:
The ADC (what reads the voltage) has only a resolution of 20mv (0.02V). So it would be normal to see a few of these cells at (for example) 4.04v, especially as the cell pack was just making the transistion down from 4.04 to 4.02. You'll never see 4.03v.

This is unconfirmed, but I read that Hyundai class a cell as 'problematic' if it's +/- more than 40mv from the others.

·
Registered
103 Posts
From what I've heard, the lower the SOC, the larger the difference between cells can be without it being problematic. With a fully charged and balanced battery, it should not be over 40 mv difference. Hyundai recommends charging to 100 % at least once a month to balance the cells.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think the lowest SOH I've ever heard about on an Ioniq is 98 %. Remember that the Ioniq has only been on the market for four years, and has one of the better BMS systems on the market.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
57 Posts
How did you optain these SoH values? Are these official values from a Hyundai garage? Or are these some inofficial outputs of some OBD-connected apps?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought a Konwei OBDII reader from Amazon (about €15) since it's the only one officially supported by the SoulEV android app. (The app costs money as well)

I was going to buy the car, so I figured spending money to check the battery management system wasn't complaining about anything was a good investment.

Pretty much any OBDII reader should work and the free torque app can be used to query the battery management system, but SoulEV and the Konwei is just quick and easy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone know if Hyundai report battery status anywhere in the service history?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts