Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just ordered the Ioniq today. Ordered the Ioniq Launch Plus edition with the Swiss Lux pack. Also ordered the blue led floor lights. That's pretty much all the options that are available. So it's loaded.

Delivery is expected in 2-3 weeks from today.

Been reading the forum as an unregistered guest so far. Now that we got the car I figured it made sense to register as a user online here :)

Cheers from Zurich, Switzerland.
Isnox

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isnox,

welcome to the forum

is that the EV or hybrid version of the Ioniq?

curiosity, what car you changing to get an Ioniq?

what was the reason for choosing it?, styling, equipment, eco / hybrid / economy, value for money?

We have bought the hybrid version (polar white).
Trading in a 2003 VW T5 Multivan. We really do not need such a big car now, plus my wife refuses to drive it (manual + large). So I end up having to drive the car all the time, even on longer trips.
We have two kids, so therefore we were looking at the Prius+ at first (7 seats). After having test driven it, we both agreed: Horrible to drive. Heavy car, no feeling in the steering whatsoever, and the HSD is definitely under dimensioned for a car this size. It really was one of the most boring cars to drive, ever.
After that we looked at the new Prius 4. What a car! Drives really nice and has nice safety features. However, the bath-tub looks of the middle console is just horrible. Also it has no Apple Car or Android Auto. The navigation system is slow and sluggish, no volume button (only on touchscreen, where one has to really look). The build quality of the Ioniq also seemed to be a class above Prius (just better feel and quality). Then there is also the price. The Ioniq costs almosts 5k less then the Prius and has nice additional features such as heated steering wheel, leather seats with A/C, and so forth.
Also Ioniq has 5 year warranty vs. 3 year warranty for the Prius.

Yes, the Hyundai does not have a HUD (which I found to be really nice in the Prius), however that is not a biggy, since now there is now an after market HUD which is better then any current HUD in any available car. It connects to the OBD connector in the car. So, f.e. if you start getting low on fuel, it will even automatically calculate the nearest route to a gas station. It connects to Iphone/Android. Go check it out, there also reviews of it on Youtube.

The thing is called Navdy: https://www.navdy.com/
https://www.google.ch/search?q=navdy&safe=active&gws_rd=ssl#

We are really looking forward to the Ioniq. Only thing of concern to me about the Ioniq is the DCT transmission. It is a dry system and I have read lots of people having problems with this transmission. I will hope that Hyundai has worked out all the kinks and well, at least we have a 5 year warranty should anything happen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Verry happy for you Isnox.
My Ioniq come end december.

Yes, I am also looking forward for the Ioniq :).

Hope to have it before Xmas (according to the dealer). just need to find a big enough Christmas tree to put it under :D

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Yes, I am also looking forward for the Ioniq :).

Hope to have it before Xmas (according to the dealer). just need to find a big enough Christmas tree to put it under :D

get the dealer to put a big one up in their car park and tie a big ribbon round the car :)

my dealer put mine under a cover and we had to uncover the car :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi guys,

I just ordered the Ioniq today. Ordered the Ioniq Launch Plus edition with the Swiss Lux pack. Also ordered the blue led floor lights. That's pretty much all the options that are available. So it's loaded.
[...]
Cheers from Zurich, Switzerland.
Isnox
Hi Isnox

Which dealer did you order from? And did you manage to negotiate any noticeable rebate?
I am living nearby and I am thinking of buying in Austria and importing to Switzerland. Besides the expected lower price I am absolutely in favour of the possibility to mix and match various options more freely in Austria as compared to Germany or Switzerland. E.g. I can get the memory seats without the leather option. And I can choose all tech options without having to include the navigation. And I don't have to roll on 17" tires.

Cheers
Moose

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Isnox

Which dealer did you order from? And did you manage to negotiate any noticeable rebate?
I am living nearby and I am thinking of buying in Austria and importing to Switzerland. Besides the expected lower price I am absolutely in favour of the possibility to mix and match various options more freely in Austria as compared to Germany or Switzerland. E.g. I can get the memory seats without the leather option. And I can choose all tech options without having to include the navigation. And I don't have to roll on 17" tires.

Cheers
Moose
I have ordered my car from the Hyundai dealer in Kloten. I think I got a fair deal. We are trading in our current car (VW T5 Multivan). Since we got a fair price for it, I prefer to have a trade where I drop my old car off and pick up the new one. As far as options go, that did not really matter to us, since we have just ordered the car loaded. A reason not get the car in Germany or Austria is that they come on 17" wheels there vs 15" in Switzerland. The 15" rides better, and most importantly apparently the 17" wheels mean an increased fuel consumption of up to 1 liter/100km. Honestly, that beats the purpose of getting a hybrid if you ask me. So, for me there would be additional costs involved if I was going to buy the car in Germany/Austria due to having to purchase 15" wheels separately. Also, then I would have had to sell our current car separately. So, just hassle I gladly avoided. This way also support the local dealer and thus the local economy. I have looked at some prices, and there was not really that much difference. If you want to go cheap, you should order a car through a German EU-import dealer, such as apl24.de. Take off 19% German VAT from that price, add 8% SWISS VAT + 4% Import Tax, plus convert EUR to CHF. I believe you could save a bit this way. However, having ordered the car from the local dealer also means I am getting in 2-3 weeks vs EU import which could take up to 6 months...

·
Registered
260 Posts
...We are really looking forward to the Ioniq. Only thing of concern to me about the Ioniq is the DCT transmission. It is a dry system and I have read lots of people having problems with this transmission. I will hope that Hyundai has worked out all the kinks and well, at least we have a 5 year warranty should anything happen.
Isnox, a weak point of the DCT is that some systems in non-hybrid vehicles are not smooth at very low speeds and at getting the car underway. This is not a problem with the Ioniq or Kia Niro because a smooth, torquey electric motor always gets the car underway in forward or reverse. The electric motor also handles motive duty at low parking lot speeds. It acts as a torque converter in hybrid applications. The DCT is a great choice for the Ioniq because it has the low friction of a manual transmission. I think a DCT is the best possible engineering choice for a P2-style hybrid.

Congratulations on your new Ioniq!

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
the only thing I have noticed is it appears to prefer being put into neutral if waiting at lights or stop start traffic where you are stopped for more than 5-10 seconds, as the motor appear to be trying to creep all the time, so if I am correct using neutral will reduced EV power usage and if the clutch in the DSG is slipping would reduce wear as well

·
Registered
103 Posts
the only thing I have noticed is it appears to prefer being put into neutral if waiting at lights or stop start traffic where you are stopped for more than 5-10 seconds, as the motor appear to be trying to creep all the time, so if I am correct using neutral will reduced EV power usage and if the clutch in the DSG is slipping would reduce wear as well
I am not so sure whether your conclusion is correct (I am not so sure about the validity of my own thoughts either - so please comment freely)

Standing at some traffic lights, I would expect the combustion engine to be turned off. So any creeping motion would come from the electric engine only. But electric motors can generate torque at low and even at zero rpm. So I'd be very surprised if the clutch would be slipping. No need for that.

Secondly, if there is no slipping in the clutch, there shouldn't be any loss of energy, too. An electric motor at zero rpm does not perform any work (in the physics sense of work which equals energy) and so no energy is lost (besides some losses due to wire resistance, control units or etc.)

So I wouldn't worry too much about any creeping with a hybrid or electrical vehicle.

Does anyone spot any flaws in my thinking?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I believe the motor is stalled, not with full load but partial load to stop the roll back issue in the early test by the Korean journalist on the carpark ramp

this would lead to heat build up in the motor and current drain, hence I put it in neutral when stopped

worst case I am doing nothing, best case I am saving battery and preventing issues due to heat

there is a note in the manual about not holding the car on a slope

also if you only lightly put your foot on the brake it still tries to creep, you can feel it when you put it in neutral

my thought is err on the side of caution when in stop start traffic for a long period of tim

·
Registered
164 Posts
At the traffic light you just keep your foot at the brake, no need to put it in neutral. The combustion engine is off, electric engine is 'idle' (no energy flow) and no clutch is slipping whatever. The electric energy flow will start immediately when you lift the brake and the car will go forward. You can check this with the energy flow monitor: No energy when standing still with brake pedal fully pressed. When you slowly lift the brake pedal, you can see the energy flow starting just before you fully release the pedal. When standing still with brakes on, the only electric consumption is for the brake lights and the instruments.
If you know you have to wait for a longer period of time (rail crossing or bridge etc.) you can put it in neutral or park just to rest your foot.
Creeping in a traffic jam (we tend to do that a lot here in the Netherlands) is fully electric if the battery has enough 'juice' and the combustion engine is warm enough. No issues found in doing so with my IONIQ hybrid (5 days so far..) or my former car, a Toyota Hybrid.

·
Registered
193 Posts
What happens when you put it in Park (P) mode? Is this any 'better'?

On the Prius, this is the preferred option when in stationary traffic/red lights, as this allows the car to charge the battery should the engine come on. Putting it in neutral stops the hybrid battery from being charged.
I only say this, as I put it in P mode most times, as having my foot on the brake pedal means the brake lights coming on and illuminating the car and its driver behind me. An annoyance especially if you're subject to it!

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
the Ioniq should be able to charge the battery in neutral as the motor generator is on the engine,

I will have a look to confirm tomorrow when I start the car, I will put the car in neutral instead of drive for a few seconds and look at the energy flow ,

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks for finding that out.
Yep, another plus over the Prius.

Need to come back with a few more tests! ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts