Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first post after deciding to go ahead an order a 2020 Ioniq Hybrid in Iron Grey from a local(ish) dealer. We had test driven a first edition Ioniq over a period of 48-hours and both my wife & I loved it when compared to our current vehicle, a 4 y/o diesel. The economy etc. was so much higher for our driving conditions (mileage etc.) so we decided to order said vehicle in Premium SE spec. (mainly for the leather seats as we have two children and a dog).

We placed our order getting on for 3 weeks ago in Iron Grey as mentioned, we picked this over the Intense Blue as we had the opportunity to see both at said dealer and we both preferred the grey (even though we loved the blue on the Hyundai website). Order placed, good deal, happy.

We then wanted to show friends the car we'd purchased as they were also interested in hybrid or electric. Much to our surprise Iron Grey is no longer an available option via Hyundai UK. We contacted then and they confirmed that is the colour was no longer displayed it wouldn't be an option. It seems that 2-3 colours have been removed across the Ioniq range in the last 2 weeks & we are now concerned we are purchasing an "out of date" car. We've confirmed with our dealer that our order still stands but are wondering if we should be looking to change to one of the colours currently available? Why would colours be dropped part way though a vehicle's life-span - we've checked and the 2020 model does seem to be the most current i.e. there isn't a 2021 replacement. We're just unsure why this colour would've been dropped?

Would you guys continue with current order OR approach dealer and change to a colour that is actually available? It sort of feels we're buying a car no longer available if that makes sense? Sorry for the long post, this is the first new car we've ever bought (previous cars have been 1 y/o usually) so want to make sure we're doing the right thing!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I doubt whether the date of a colour's availability will influence the second-hand value. The date of first registration will; so might the choice of colour (avoid pea green and flaming orange!). But whether a buyer (or an onlooker) will consider a car to be out-of-date merely on the basis of its colour is surely highly doubtful. Unless you have (in UK) a personalised numberplate, it will be the registration year number which will be the tell-tale. I'd go for the colour which you liked, and enjoy it.

The iron grey is superior to my blue in terms of showing dirt. As you no doubt know, deep colours such as black and royal blue look great when clean - but don't look clean for long! My silver car is the best in that regard, and I suspect Iron Grey will be good.

Cymro

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is one of the less popular colours, had you ordered intense blue they cannot make enough of them as I am told it is the most popular colour.

Dropping the least popular colours makes sense from a company view since the amount of change overs is less.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you like the colour , buy it because whatever you choose may be discontinued when you come to sell it. What's popular this year may be a bad seller next year.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Check out the thread "What colour is your Ioniq Hybrid" and you will see that Iron Grey has not been unpopular with voting members of this forum.

Edit: Click on view results, not sure you did on your recent visit there.

Silver is not so popular though and other colours even less, oh well.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 July '17
1,782 Posts
Kind of makes the colour more exclusive. I'd say keep your initial colour choice and enjoy its exclusivity. I don't think Hyundai has any plans to cancel the model any time soon. While Ioniq sales aren't anywhere near of a match to the Prius, they also haven't advertised it anywhere near as much. It's their main electrified model and the only one that is not also available as a fully ICE vehicle. They also spent nearly a decade of developing it before releasing it to the market. But the Ioniqs are becoming increasingly popular, particularly in the UK, from what it seems on this forum.

I would also venture to say that the majority of owners have found this car to be one of the best they've owned, regardless of colour. As far as I know there's been no more problem Ioniqs than any other car so chances of having one with issues are very low.

I think you should really go with the colour you want and will be happy with, as you'll presumably be driving around in it for at least a few years or more. Some colours are easier to maintain, true. As far as resale value is concerned, white, black and shades of grey tend to be more popular overall than brighter colours.

At the end of the day, the Ioniq is not a dying model, and colour choice should ultimately be about what you'll be happy driving and seeing in your drive/parking space.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts