Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else feel they didn't buy enough car and wish they gotten more options?
I keep adding more and more options to my car. I only wish Hyundai would offer inexpensive plug and play options at the dealership.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I ordered a hybrid MY2019 with base trim, called Essential in Canada, about 1 year ago. For an extra $2200 Canadian + 12 % tax, I could have upgraded to next trim, called Preferred. Preferred trim adds Blind Spot Detection, Lane Change Assist, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, LED daytime running lights, LED tail lights and side mirror turn signal repeaters, Heated rear seats, Heated leather-wrapped steering wheel, 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, proximity keyless entry with push-button ignition, nicer wheels, sunroof, and more. In my opinion, that's a lot of added equipment for $2464, and I sometimes kick myself for not getting that trim. For most of these added features, it would be difficult to have a plug and play option at the dealership - you pretty well have to order your car with one trim and live with the equipment you purchased (or did not purchase).

Surprisingly, the Preferred trim maintains the terrible halogen headlights. The poor visibility at night is the only real issue I have with the car. But thankfully, upgrading to aftermarket LED's is plug and play, so I've gone ahead and done that. But I still think the Preferred trim offers good value and I probably should have ordered the vehicle with that trim.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is really getting me too. I could have gotten the same, but I decided to cheap out and I missed out on so many features. I suppose that's how Hyundai makes their money though.

What did you do to upgrade to the aftermarket LEDs?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
All my previous cars have been lower trims without many features, and I've always wished I had more options. With the Ioniq I decided to spoil myself and go for what was then called the Limited trim in Canada (now called the Luxury Trim).

So the question remains if I regret not getting the Limited with Tech Package (now called the Ultimate Trim), which would have added HID headlamps, rear vents, 8" touch-infinity sound head unit with built-in Nav, Type-B 7" full LCD instrument cluster with virtual speedometer/tachometer (in Sport) and mirror compass (was supposed to have this actually, but not driver seat memory, but these features were swapped on the 2017 Cdn Ltds, versus what was stated in the brochure) and aluminum sport pedals. Ultimately, I'm okay with the halogen headlamps, 7" head-unit without Nav and the lack of other features not present without the Tech Package. The Type-B intsrument cluster would have been cool over the Type-A, but I'm still very happy with my choice.

The other thing that would have been nice to wait for the 2018 model for, would have been full LKAS, but I've read a lot of people on here find it inferior to other brands. Perhaps when I'm ready to trade in in another 5 years, the system will be better.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's so confusing with all those different trims that change from one model year to another and from one country to another.

There are currently three trims in Sweden: Trend, Premium, and Premium Plus (also spelled Premium+). Trend is the basic one. The Premium trim has all the important options that you wouldn't want to be without. The Premium Plus only adds leather seats (which I personally don't fancy that much), electrically adjustable driver's seat (which doesn't bother me, but is no real treat either) and heated back seats.

Since the Premium trim is apparently in short supply, I had to go for the Premium Plus so that I wouldn't lose any important features.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I got the Ultimate (top level) trim package on my PHEV, but unfortunately in Canada this did not include the driver's seat memory, vented seats, or electronic parking brake that nets you the full stop-and-go smart cruise experience. I would sorely love to have had these options too. The LED headlights are stellar, but the high beams are still halogen and probably the worst I've had since my '85 Chrysler LeBaron GTS hatch. (Incidentally I still love the digital dash the LeBaron had, although the MY19 Type B is much slicker, and to my tastes, far preferable to the MY2020 which scrunches both the battery and fuel gauges in the right-side vertical pane.)

The seat memory in the wife's Santa Fe has been really great for us to switch driving roles on long trips, as we prefer very different seating positions. In the Ioniq she's been mostly comfortable with my settings however so it hasn't been as hard to live without as I thought it was going to be, but the vented seats were sorely missed on my 6 hour road trip back in September.

An option from the wife's Santa Fe that I don't think any Ioniq trim in the world offers is a 'View' button that brings up the 360 camera view even if you're not backing up. It's great for seeing the clearance to the front bumper, or to see if you've passed the line while pulling forwards into the second spot of a 'pull-through' parking row. Even without a 360 view, just viewing the back-up camera on demand while creeping forwards would be a great trick to have in the Ioniq for those pull-through spots. Sure you can shift into reverse to see if you've pulled up far enough, but it's an extra step with a bit of a delay versus just calling up the view while still rolling forwards.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What did you do to upgrade to the aftermarket LEDs?
There are several threads on this site dealing with LED Headlight conversion. Below are a couple. Refer to these to see what I've used, as well as what others have used.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have yet to understand Hyundai's marketing strategy concerning the Ioniq. I have the ultimate and yet I still have a wish list: like power passenger seat, heated steering wheel, remote hatch, remote start from fob - the BlueLink is a pain, full window (no bar) with wiper/washer in the hatch, electric parking brake, 360 view anytime, lighted threshold plates

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have yet to understand Hyundai's marketing strategy concerning the Ioniq. I have the ultimate and yet I still have a wish list: like power passenger seat, heated steering wheel, remote hatch, remote start from fob - the BlueLink is a pain, full window (no bar) with wiper/washer in the hatch, electric parking brake, 360 view anytime, lighted threshold plates
I've got the Ultimate package which was a full load at the time and includes heated steering wheel. In addition to gorj's list I'd like to add front parking sensors, adjustable headrest angle, ventilated seats, 2 position memory driver's seat with exit mode, storage net behind both front seats not just passenger side, self parking & tilting side mirrors, improved full EV mode and true adjusted mileage display in both ICE and EV modes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would add the vented seats, along with a storage net behind the driver's seat, and powered steering wheel adjustment tied to the rear view mirrors with the memory seats. Front sensors would be nice, but with the 360 view they would be an extra safety feature.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would add the vented seats, along with a storage net behind the driver's seat, and powered steering wheel adjustment tied to the rear view mirrors with the memory seats. Front sensors would be nice, but with the 360 view they would be an extra safety feature.
Gotcha, redundant. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just went from a 2019 Sel to 2019 Ltd w ultimate package (highest trim in US I think) and am glad I splurged. Surprised by how much I like the smart headlights. Bigger screen and better sound system nice too, and it seems like a better ride

·
Registered
422 Posts
Good choice. My wife and I took a short trip in our 2006 Mercedes CLK 350 yesterday and we both commented we really miss the technology of our Ioniq. As you get familiar with it you will enjoy it more. Be sure to read the Ioniq Multimedia Manual.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Guys! This is an economy car. You are wishing for BMW luxury and features for an economy car price? Good to have dreams!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I switched from a 2017 Mercedes to a 2019 Ioniq, and the Ioniq feels more like a luxury car than the Mercedes in many ways, except for the operating expenses. Now that I've upgraded to the LTD ultimate it really is a sweet ride, even in comparison to German engineering.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I went for the Limited Ultimate and don't regret the additional expense for a moment. I love every one of those features and would be bummed had I not spend the extra money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts