Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a big fan of "one pedal driving" & I use "Braking" mode on my eGolf. I understand the Ioniq EV has a few modes to control the amount of regenerative braking -- the top setting will turn on the brake lights, right?

This Edmunds review (https://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/ioniq-electric/2017/#edm-entry-pricing) says:

"You can use the steering-wheel paddles to adjust the level of regenerative braking, but even the maximum amount isn't aggressive enough for true one-pedal driving."

I could only test drive the Hybrid, so I don't know how aggressive regenerative braking is on the highest setting. The more, the better, in my humble opinion.

So, how is the "one pedal" driving on the Ioniq EV at the highest setting?

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
The two highest settings will turn on the brake lights. Only the lowest level and no regenerative braking don't. I think the highest level is strong enough for one pedal driving, but I did not try it myself for a longer time. I like the feeling of the car going without touching any pedal, not even one, I feel that as more relaxed for my leg. I am more like a zero pedal driver. Just regenerative braking at the lowest level and Advanced Smart Cruise Control provide very good help for zero pedal driving.

Reactions: reald and chui

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm a big fan of "one pedal driving" & I use "Braking" mode on my eGolf. I understand the Ioniq EV has a few modes to control the amount of regenerative braking -- the top setting will turn on the brake lights, right?

This Edmunds review (https://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/ioniq-electric/2017/#edm-entry-pricing) says:

"You can use the steering-wheel paddles to adjust the level of regenerative braking, but even the maximum amount isn't aggressive enough for true one-pedal driving."

I could only test drive the Hybrid, so I don't know how aggressive regenerative braking is on the highest setting. The more, the better, in my humble opinion.

So, how is the "one pedal" driving on the Ioniq EV at the highest setting?
Yes, one pedal driving is very well possible in the Ioniq. I do this always.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G901F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
843 Posts
The two highest settings will turn on the brake lights.
Jan, do you have a source for this info?

I use the paddles a fair bit (coming from an Outlander which also has them), more so to regulate speed than drive one-pedal, and if the above is true then motorists following behind me would understandably be both confused and irritated by the brake lights coming on each time I lift my right foot.

This would make one-pedal driving not such a good thing in the Ioniq.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Jan, do you have a source for this info?

I use the paddles a fair bit (coming from an Outlander which also has them), more so to regulate speed than drive one-pedal, and if the above is true then motorists following behind me would understandably be both confused and irritated by the brake lights coming on each time I lift my right foot.

This would make one-pedal driving not such a good thing in the Ioniq.
I understood from a post of BC1 some months ago that the brake lights switch on only after two or more blue bars (on the left side) for charging are on.

Haven't checked it myself.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I understood from a post of BC1 some months ago that the brake lights switch on only after two or more blue bars (on the left side) for charging are on.

Haven't checked it myself.

yep, that is certainly what i have seen on my hybrid, not sure if the EV is the same

·
Registered
843 Posts
yep, that is certainly what i have seen on my hybrid, not sure if the EV is the same
You've got paddles? :confused:

Just kidding. If I understand you correctly, if the regeneration bars reach 3 or above, the car believes that the resultant speed reduction is enough to warrant brake lights coming on.

That makes sense I guess, but how did you observe your own brake lights? I cannot tell if mine are on or off when driving.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Yes, the post of @bluecar1 was my source.
Just to get it clear. There are four settings possible: 0, 1, 2, 3, where 0 is no regeneration, and 3 is the strongest regeneration. I interpreted the original post of @bluecar1 that 0 or 1: no lights and 2 and 3: lights. Is that correct?

I use the paddles a fair bit (coming from an Outlander which also has them), more so to regulate speed than drive one-pedal, and if the above is true then motorists following behind me would understandably be both confused and irritated by the brake lights coming on each time I lift my right foot. This would make one-pedal driving not such a good thing in the Ioniq.
I wonder how it is when you do not completely lift your foot, but half, for example, as you may normally do in one pedal driving. Would still the lights come on?
Probably @bluecar1's experiment involved completely lifting his foot?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yes, the post of @bluecar1 was my source.
Just to get it clear. There are four settings possible: 0, 1, 2, 3, where 0 is no regeneration, and 3 is the strongest regeneration. I interpreted the original post of @bluecar1 that 0 or 1: no lights and 2 and 3: lights. Is that correct?
That is not how I interpreted it.

I believe BC1 was referring to the Pwr\Eco\Charge gauge on the left side of the instrument panel, where Pwr is white, Eco is green and Charge is blue.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
OK, good to clarify it. BC1?

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
I understood from a post of BC1 some months ago that the brake lights switch on only after two or more blue bars (on the left side) for charging are on. Haven't checked it myself.
I think this explanation is in fact equivalent to what I indicated. I always have the paddles setting in 1, and then I get just one blue bar when I lift my foot. I assume when you have setting 2 or 3 of the paddles, you will get 2 or more blue bars when you (completely) lift your foot.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
yep, the number of blue bars on the pwr/eco/charge gauge

and how I see my own brake lights is easy

on a dark road if you look in the rear mirror you can see a slight illumination on the bottom side of the bar in the rear window, or when I go over certain bridges with concrete sides in the dark you can see the reflection of the brake lights on the concrete sides

simples

·
Registered
328 Posts
Is it correct that the brake light will be on only when the throttle is fully released? When the throttle is still depressed even a tiny bit, the speed is reducing and the brake light will not light up, right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just got my car yesterday and I can verify that the brake lights do turn on if your regenerative braking is set to 3, but I did not check at 2.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
I can verify that the brake lights do turn on if your regenerative braking is set to 3, but I did not check at 2.
I am still unable to determine what actually triggers the brake lights.

Is it;

1) The level of power being generated when lifting your foot? i.e. when the level of regen reaches a certain number of bars on the power gauge.
2) The regen setting, if set to a sufficiently high level (1-3)

It follows that if (for example) regen level is set to 3, it will generate more power when lifting the foot which in turn could satisfy condition (1) above.
If condition (2) is the case, then are the lights triggered by partial lift of the foot, or only a full lift?

I certainly hope that condition (1) is the case.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
I think it would be reasonable when (1) is the basic criterion. Maybe it can be tried out by someone.

But when (1) is indeed the basic criterion, derived from that (2) will also apply when you lift your foot completely, as I think there is a direct connection to the number of blue bars you will see then:

regen setting 1: 1 blue bar when lifting your foot completely (I can confirm this)
regen setting 2: 2 blue bars when lifting your foot completely (who can confirm or correct this?)
regen setting 3: 3 blue bars when lifting your foot completely (who can confirm or correct this?)

I am not sure about the last two lines. It may also be more blue bars, for example, 3 and 5, but I think definitely not 1 blue bar.

·
Registered
843 Posts
regen setting 1: 1 blue bar when lifting your foot completely (I can confirm this)
regen setting 2: 2 blue bars when lifting your foot completely (who can confirm this?)
regen setting 3: 3 blue bars when lifting your foot completely (who can confirm this?)
I would think the number of blue bars would be speed dependent for any particular regen setting. The more inertial energy (kinetic) energy in the car, the more power that would be generated by lifting the foot.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
It is not the speed itself that counts but the decrease of speed (per second or minute or hour) which is the deceleration. Higher speed means a longer time to decelerate. I assume that the blue bars (and also the braking lights) are directly related to the level of deceleration.

There is a famous law of Newton relating this deceleration (or acceleration) to exerted force, which in turn relates to power. However, when you really dive into calculations it may turn out that from force to power you still get a dependency on speed as well. So, it would be good to check these things for different speeds to see how things are.

So, if

• the blue bars relate to the power level by which the battery is charged, and
  • the braking lights depend on the level of deceleration, and
  • for a given level of deceleration the power level also depends on speed,
then the relation between blue bars and braking lights may not be so direct, but may also depend on speed.

There is a lot to try out!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts