Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes I have not fully understood the "One pedal drive" offered from some competitors like BMW i3 or Nissal leaf and many others.
With Ioniq EV you can select the regenerative braking action, and with a "one pedal drive" you have a strong deceleration.
The one pedal drive (or near to be a single use of the accelerator pedal) seems good but I have some doubt.

There are situations where when removing foot from accelerator pedal (or just lifting a bit it) it's good to have strong deceleration. But there are situations where lifting the foot it's better to have a free wheels action to maximize the use of the energy and lift the pedal hundreds meters from a stop or traffic light (a traffic light can be RED but it can turns to green while decelerating).

Is there a way to have "free wheels" even with a "one pedal drive", OR you always need to lift the right foot only when really near to the stop (or traffic light) ?

At least with Ioniq EV you can decide with paddles...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Unfortunately, this regen on pedal release modulation is not available on the PHEV. The buttons behind the wheel mapped to the useless function of changing gear and starting the ICE... So the pedal release regen is always very low.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, It's not what I asked , I have a PHEV and I know what the paddles does. I'm more interested on One Pedal Drive cars behavoir. For this reason I put this thread on " Hyundai IONIQ Versus The Competition "

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thanks, It's not what I asked , I have a PHEV and I know what the paddles does. I'm more interested on One Pedal Drive cars behavoir. For this reason I put this thread on " Hyundai IONIQ Versus The Competition "

On my BEV I can set a default regen of level 1,2 or 3, but not zero. Using the right paddle when I move off I can reduce regen to zero, my preferred option, so the car will then free wheel when I take my foot off the accelerator. When I need to slow down I just use the left paddle to introduce regen braking, and under normal conditions only use the foot brake for a final stop, thus I am effectively one pedal driving.;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On my BEV I can set a default regen of level 1,2 or 3, but not zero. Using the right paddle when I move off I can reduce regen to zero, my preferred option, so the car will then free wheel when I take my foot off the accelerator. When I need to slow down I just use the left paddle to introduce regen braking, and under normal conditions only use the foot brake for a final stop, thus I am effectively one pedal driving.;)
This is what I would do if I had a EV.
What I'd like to know if a Leaf or a I3 or a typical ONE pedal drive, has some sorta of modulation of regen up to the point to be free wheels.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This is what I would do if I had a EV.
What I'd like to know if a Leaf or a I3 or a typical ONE pedal drive, has some sorta of modulation of regen up to the point to be free wheels.
For the i3, let's say you accelerate upto the desire speed and then you would like to get to the free wheeling state, just ease off the pedal a bit without completely lifting off the feet, the electronics is clever enough to determine that you want to get into free wheeling and comply accordingly. If you lift off your feet a bit more then a low level of regen will start to kick in. If lift off completely, it would get into a strong mode of regen. Will take a little while to get use to, didn't have enough time to fully appreciate it during test drive.

·
Registered
582 Posts
On my BEV I can set a default regen of level 1,2 or 3, but not zero.
Are you sure? AFAIK, all IONIC BEV models can use the paddles to set regen from level 0 to level 3. You just can't use the settings menus to set the default to 0 at start up. (or perhaps that's what you meant :eek:)

OB

·
Registered
264 Posts
I hate 1 pedal driving. It means you always have to apply pressure with your foot which keeps it somewhat tense during the entire drive. If I'm gliding down a hill I don't want to keep applying pressure. I just put my foot on the brake and not press it and modulate the regen levels.

Plus it's never as efficient. Even if both regen and motor are at 90% efficiency, the energy round trip means you get at most 81% out of it. Coasting gets you 100% of whatever energy you applied to the car.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Are you sure? AFAIK, all IONIC BEV models can use the paddles to set regen from level 0 to level 3. You just can't use the settings menus to set the default to 0 at start up. (or perhaps that's what you meant :eek:)

OB

That is exactly what I said. I cannot set zero regen in the settings as a default, so set level 1. As soon as I start driving I use the right paddle to achieve zero regen then coast whenever possible and use left paddle when i need to slow down. It would be nice to b able to set regen zero as the default.;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts