Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is so damn disappointing. Really starting to push me to the ID.4 despite that vehicles flaws. It's just hard to argue how important visibility in a car is, at least for me. I wonder if Hyundai is eventually going to put out a statement regarding this issue.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Tested out the rear window visibility during rain at different speeds, check it out!

I was in the "no rear wiper" is no big deal camp. After seeing your video I still am. I was able to see when there was a car behind you and where it was. It's not like a gotta be able to see and count the bugs on the windshield of the car behind me to know there's a car behind me.

·
Registered
2021 Ioniq EV/ SE in Blue/Black Interior
129 Posts
OK! Now there must be some Bright Spark out in EV Land, who can retro fit a wiper back there! In related news; my 2021 just plain IONIQ BEV with the *&^%% bar across the two back windows- in rain and muck, just the top section stays such that you can see, the lower half looks like I could plant a row of Maine Potatoes in in. Not that the view in the rear is anything to write home to Mama about. I think my 56 Beetle had better rearward visibility!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not having a wiper is kind of annoying. I own a station wagon and I almost never use my wiper. Once in awhile I do. I wonder how rainX might help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tested out the rear window visibility during rain at different speeds, check it out!

Thanks for putting the work together for the video. It clearly needs a rear wiper, like almost every vehicle. I would say an aftermarket rear view screen (to replace the mirror) and camera, like what GM and Land Rover have started using is probably easier to integrate properly.

I know it’s maybe seen as a niche issue but being able to see vehicles approaching you from behind when you’re stopped is very important. When I lived in the U.K. I got caught in a short traffic jam at the end of a long straight single lane road where vehicles regularly speed along at 60-70mph. I look in the rear view and see an 80’s Merc estate (station wagon) flying towards me and engaging brakes far too late. I’m weighing up my options as the Merc turns in to a gravel lay-by still trying to come to a stop. The Merc stops 4 or 5 cars past me. Those types of incidents happen way more often in the rain and you’d have much less chance to react with little visibility.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I sit in the it’s annoying to not have one, but not a huge deal. I don’t think I ever used it on my golf wagon in the actual rain. More so to clean away mud and dirt that splashed up. So it will certainly be missed when spring hits and dirty snow water all over the streets. Will have to make it a habit of cleaning off the window before taking off.

They will certainly be adding one in future models as it’s a common complaint.

·
Registered
Audi S4 & H2 SX SE
315 Posts
Rear defrost should be on, looks to be but you can still see condensation. I am fine to live without, past vehicles that had I rarely used but I can see some getting bent out of shape, expect it to be in following years, it was planned guys, there have to be new features in following model years, nature of the best

·
Registered
2021, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate 73KWh RWD
78 Posts
Thanks for doing this video. My concern is less rain and more the spray that comes from the road in winter when it isn't raining. At least rain partially rinses that grime off the rear window.
I totally agree it is the spray thrown up by the rear wheels that causes the very vision through the rear window!

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is so damn disappointing. Really starting to push me to the ID.4 despite that vehicles flaws. It's just hard to argue how important visibility in a car is, at least for me. I wonder if Hyundai is eventually going to put out a statement regarding this issue.
If you're really thinking of the ID4, the Skoda Enyaq is considered better by all the reviews.

·
Registered
2018 Ioniq EV base
66 Posts
If backup camera is available during driving that might help. Not sure if that feature is available in all trims or markets.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was in the "no rear wiper" is no big deal camp. After seeing your video I still am.
When I'm driving in rain the view behind is completely blurred. You can see shapes, that's about it. With low sun in winter or at night with headlights it can white-out your rear vision.
Simply put, it's a design theory that failed and not what I expect from a premium priced car

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for doing this video. My concern is less rain and more the spray that comes from the road in winter when it isn't raining. At least rain partially rinses that grime off the rear window.
This.

All that mess from snowy roads will make the rear view pretty much opaque.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts