Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
THE PRESS RELEASE

IONIQ: A Leap Forward for Hybrid Vehicles

- Hyundai Motor reveals technical innovations underpinning its evolved hybrid system
- Lightweight, high-strength architecture delivers a fun, responsive drive
- Next generation drivetrain efficiencies achieve class-leading fuel economy
- Electric, plug-in hybrid and hybrid powertrains available in a single body type, a world first

January 7, 2015 – Following its unveiling to domestic media at Hyundai Motor's Namyang R&D Center in South Korea, details have been confirmed of the IONIQ - the next generation of hybrid vehicles.

Rag Jung, Head of Project Management Division at Hyundai Motor R&D Center said, "IONIQ embodies Hyundai Motor's new thinking and bold ambitions for the future. This world-class dedicated hybrid will be the starting point of our future mobility."

Lightweight engineering from a dedicated design

Built on a chassis created specifically to carry the world's first choice of three efficient and ultra-low emission powertrains, the IONIQ boasts 53% Advanced High Strength Steel combined cleverly with lightweight aluminum. The new model saves 12.6kg (45%) of weight by casting non-structural bodywork from aluminum, such as the hood, tailgate and suspension components. Where crash structure or energy absorption is necessary, the structure features Advanced High Strength Steel that can withstand significant collision forces.

The new model was created with dynamic ride and handling at its core, a characteristic that sets the IONIQ apart from other hybrid vehicles. Positioning the car's batteries low and forward achieves a low center of gravity that enables highly responsive, stable cornering. The IONIQ furthers its handling prowess with dual lower arm multi-link suspension fitted at the rear.

Inside IONIQ: the evolved hybrid system

The full IONIQ range will feature a choice of electric, plug-in hybrid and hybrid powertrains, a world first for a single model. At the unveiling in Korea, details were shared for the first version to come to market – the hybrid.

With the world's highest thermal efficiency (40%), the new 1.6-liter Kappa GDi engine developed exclusively for Hyundai Motor's hybrid engines, combines with the permanent magnetic electric motor to deliver maximum outputs of 105ps and 43.5ps - engine and motor respectively.

Within the engine, class-leading thermal efficiency of 40% is achieved, while the head and block is split for optimized cooling. Plus, the 200 bar high pressure 6-hole direct fuel injector further improves fuel consumption and CO₂ emissions.

Alongside this, the Lithium Ion Polymer Battery delivers outstanding charge and discharge performance, optimizing output from the high voltage motor and allowing for rapid regeneration. Controlling power distribution is a hybrid-exclusive Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT), which presents a dynamic driving experience unique to IONIQ. Class-leading power transmission efficiency of 95.7% delivers a prompt response, acceleration performance and smooth gear changes to delight drivers with handling alongside the hybrid's efficiency.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's a shame they couldn't make the Ioniq look more like the sketches. The sketches were beautiful. The latest batch of photos look like a Ford Focus only homelier. Hyundai managed somehow to fit the world's ugliest wheels to the Ioniq. I wouldn't even use the stock wheels for snow tires--not without some kind of hubcap to hide them.

The early spy photographs of the camouflaged test cars clearly show a hatchback, but the official photographs suggest this is a sedan with a trunk hinge below the back window. I guess we have to wait till the reveal to see what they've got.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a shame they couldn't make the Ioniq look more like the sketches. The sketches were beautiful. The latest batch of photos look like a Ford Focus only homelier. Hyundai managed somehow to fit the world's ugliest wheels to the Ioniq. I wouldn't even use the stock wheels for snow tires--not without some kind of hubcap to hide them.

The early spy photographs of the camouflaged test cars clearly show a hatchback, but the official photographs suggest this is a sedan with a trunk hinge below the back window. I guess we have to wait till the reveal to see what they've got.
Your opinion is interesting -- styling is so subjective!

I like the way the Ioniq is styled, including the wheels. In fact, I think the design is more appealing than any other EV or hybrid that I can think of, short of a Fisker Karma.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I too wondered if the Ioniq was a sedan, but after looking carefully, I believe it is a hatchback.

Add my name to the list that likes the appearance. I am anxious to read more about the EV option.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
We should also remember that the overall hatchback-esque shape, similar in form to a Toyota Prius or Chevrolet Volt, is driven by data from aerodynamics engineers working in the wind tunnel. They all have a similar shape because that is what is most efficient, and vehicles in this efficiency-minded segment must conform to aerodynamics.

However, in the battle between the engineers and the stylists, a line is drawn when it comes to fitting wheelhouse covers. While vehicles like the Volkswagen XL1 (below) and others prove their added efficiency, manufacturers know that their odd appearance is a step too far for mainstream consumer acceptance. So there are compromises to this efficiency-led design approach, made in the name of style.

This is an actual production car, albeit a limited-production one:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Real world Hyundai Ioniq photos. The HUGE panel gaps reveal that this example is likely a pre-production model. The full production car should have much tighter tolerances.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More photos released today.

Hyundai's IONIQ Prius-Fighter Is A Surprisingly Interesting Greenmobile In Three Flavors

In a rather unique fashion, Hyundai will offer the 2017 IONIQ with three drivetrain options, including a fully electric one, wrapped in a body that’s arguably better looking than a new Toyota Prius. Not bad so far.

Hyundai still won’t give us the full specifications, but what’s for sure is that the standard gasoline/electric hybrid version of the IONIQ packs a highly efficient 1.6-liter engine and a 44 horsepower electric motor for a combined output of 139 horsepower and 195 pound-feet of torque. With a dedicated dual clutch transmission and a drag coefficient of 0.24 Cd, this base drivetrain should grant you pretty decent gas mileage already.

The IONIQ uses a lithium-ion battery pack instead of a conventional nickel-metal-hybrid one, and it’s a fair guess that the PHEV version will keep a higher capacity unit under its rear seats since it will mostly use the gas engine as a range extender.

The surprise guest of the night, the pure electric Hyundai, will have such competitors to take care of as the Chevy Bolt and its 200 mile range, although a cheaper offering with slightly shorter range might just do the trick here. No word on that yet, but the car premiers at the Geneva Motor Show next month.

Hyundai says the IONIQ’s ride comfort will be exceptional in the segment thanks to better insulation in the dash and damping in the floor panels, enhanced A- and B-pillar fillings, thicker window glass with noise canceling film on the windshield and Michelin’s low-resistance 17-inch tires.

On the inside, you get a 7-inch TFT-information cluster displaying all types of gauges, while the center touchscreen has both Apply CarPlay and Android Auto. A wireless inductive charging pad is also on the options list.

Naturally, the materials they used on the headlining and carpet are extracted from sugar cane, while the rest was cured with extracted soybean oil. What say you, BMW i3?

What’s even greener is the IONIQ’s Eco-Driving Assistant System, which assesses the driving route set in the satellite navigation system, enabling the most efficient battery charging or extra motor assistance as required by the predicted road conditions. The idea is to help you coast along your way, avoiding harsh acceleration or braking to lengthen the electric range. But when you do need to slow down for something, the IONIQ’s regenerative braking system will get the most out of that too.

As far as safety goes, Hyundai’s electric hybrid features autonomous emergency brake activating at 6 mph and above, lane keeping and departure warning assist , and blind spot detection with rear cross traffic alert.

If that’s still not good enough, seven airbags and lots of advanced high strength steel around you should do a fine job at keeping everybody in one piece inside.

Finally, the all important figure you were all waiting for!

With the rear seats are folded flat, the IONIQ offers 26.4 cubic feet (750 liters) of cargo space.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It looks a lot more square in the front than what I originally thought. Just wonder how the aerodynamic work when the grille is flat like that.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not sure. I know they have a display section at the Toronto auto show but not sure what exactly they're going to put there.
Think they're having one North American unveiling and two Canadian ones.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I heard those Canadian auto shows don't get all the concepts and new cars other american shows get, so you guys might be missing out on some. This however has a higher chance of making it their.

·
Registered
87 Posts
yea the website doesn't say anything about which vehicles are going to be there so it is entirely up in the air right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts