Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2017 Hyundai Ioniq will make its official North American debut at the 2016 New York auto show. Available as a standard hybrid, plug-in hybrid (PHEV), and as an EV, the 2017 Ioniq is aimed directly at eco-conscious cars such as the Toyota Prius. Hyundai will also do a live stream the car’s North American debut...
2017 Hyundai Ioniq North American Debut Confirmed for New York - Motor Trend

The NY Auto Show begins next Wednesday, March 23. Is anybody here going? Too far away for me. I'll be glued to the livestream.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I didn't get a chance to go just going to wait for these to show up at dealers unless hyundai plans on setting up some sort of special event across the nation like a tour.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The livestream was a complete bust. They lost the feed about 12 minutes in and didn't recover it till 39 minutes in, and the remaining video had huge gaps in it. Hopefully, they'll post the recorded reveal on youtube but I'm not seeing anything yet. Bummer.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Full specs still aren't available, Strobe, such as mileage, cargo volume, weight, etc.

Here's a link to the reveal video:

One thing that's different about the NA spec car from the Korean spec is the 12-V pb-acid battery. The Korean version uses the battery, the NA spec derives 12-V power from the traction battery saving 26lbs of weight. Nice. It also saves replacing the expensive lb-acid battery periodically. It's not clear to me if that's true only for the plug-in or the other models as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Seems like lithium-ion batteries are the thing to use at the moment. Acid batteries seem like they are just asking for trouble in the case of an accident.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can understand the engine spec and mileage being hidden since it could be different for the NA spec ioniq but cargo space? Can't people just find this out from the korean site?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Korean website has some useful specs up, but I'm not seeing cargo volume or passenger volume: ???? ????? ?? ??? | ?????

The EPA has a protocol for calculating cargo volume and passenger volume so that NA consumers can compare apples to apples somewhat.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Automobile magazine recently did an article on the Ioniq. The article was somewhat negative since the author doesn't believe the marketplace should have a place for HEVs, PHEVs, and BEVs in this era of inexpensive gasoline, but there are 75 gorgeous pictures of the Ioniq that are worth looking through. Most of them were taken at the NY auto show. These are the best pictures of the car so far.

An In-Depth Look at the 2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid, Plug-in, and Electric Car

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hyundaiusa has the press release available on their website. We've seen a detailed press release for the Ioniq since the S. Korean debut, but the NA press release is notable for what's missing--no mention whatsoever of ECO-DAS. The Global Hyundai website prominently featured the Eco-Driving Assistant System as an economy-boosting feature that optimizes battery charging/discharging to the terrain by integrating GPS-based terrain info with the traction battery charge/discharge algorithms. Basically, it lets the car know the terrain ahead so that it can charge and add electric boost accordingly. ECO-DAS is conspicuous by its absence in the Hyundaiusa press release:

Hyundaiusa press release: https://www.hyundaiusa.com/about-hyundai/news/corporate_2017_hyundai_ioniq_model_lineup_makes_us_debut_at_new_york_international_auto_show-20160323.aspx

Hyundai Global press release: Global News | Hyundai Worldwide

Are we getting ECO-DAS in North America?

Also noteworthy, for me, is that Hyundai estimates the cargo capacity with the rear seats folded down at 26.5 cubic ft. Most of the gen IV Prius trims claim 24.6 cubic ft or 27.4 for the TWO ECO.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Perhaps they are having to look at it again so that they can fix some flaws. We will have to pay attention to see what happens to it upon the US release.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts