Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
If I travel 20-80% charge, it would mean about 200kms max at 130km/h. I will rather drive between 110 and max 125.

·
Registered
MY20 Kona Highlander electric
197 Posts
Both tests have been driven completely on automatic cruise control, in normal mode and with recuperation 0.
The first test was on ACC set to 100kph (62 mph), the second test on 130kph (80mph). The average of the second was only 114 kph (~70mph), because they had a small traffic jam, otherwise it had been much closer to 130kph(~80mph)
I think for the US, this may not be a problem, driving 60 or even 70mph makes a huge difference.
But it is a fact that the drag coefficient plays a big role in consumption / range, much more than the difference of wheels (19 vs 20”) or RWD vs AWD.
Yeah, likewise a headwind or driving up steep hills will likely affect range more.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD Balance Vision
124 Posts
If I travel 20-80% charge, it would mean about 200kms max at 130km/h. I will rather drive between 110 and max 125.
The guy of Carmaniac Germany drove a IONIQ 5 AWD 20"wheels (on the highway with no traffic), continuously at 130kph with an average speed of 129kph, he showed on his display a average consumption of 22KWh and his total range was 330km starting form 100%. This makes exactly 200 km from 80 to 20% at exactly and continously 130kph.
The car was a P45 that he got from a friend, and this friend said that his average consumption on the highway setting the automatic cruise control on 130kph, with daily traffic of some road works and traffic jam, his average consumption was 20 KWh, giving him an average total range of +/_ 360km, which gives a 215-220km range from 80->20%.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah, likewise a headwind or driving up steep hills will likely affect range more.
We know the battery life test was ridiculous, but do we know the conditions of the recent test? Does regen braking make that much of a difference in highway driving? Wouldn't it just require applying power more often to make up for slowing down?

·
Registered
124 Posts
We know the battery life test was ridiculous, but do we know the conditions of the recent test? Does regen braking make that much of a difference in highway driving? Wouldn't it just require applying power more often to make up for slowing down?
Yes, the test conditions are exactly known :
  • 22 deg C outside, in the evening. the test started at 18.00 (6.00 AM)
  • driving on 3 different highway sections forming a triangle, to minimise the influence of wind
  • drive distance between the cars minimum 100 m (to avoid slip stream advantages)
  • driven in Normal mode
  • regeneration set to 0
  • ACC set for test 1 100kph / test 2 130kph.
  • heating system set in automatic mode at 22 deg C
The only point that I had changed, is putting the regeneration in automatic mode (automatically adjusted regeneration depending on traffic and on the navigation itenery).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Today at 110km/h (ABRP use this speed to define de consumption ) 3 passengers, 24 Celsius degrees outside, without wind, 9km round trip in highway
Consumption average: 19,45kw/100km

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes, the test conditions are exactly known :
  • 22 deg C outside, in the evening. the test started at 18.00 (6.00 AM)
  • driving on 3 different highway sections forming a triangle, to minimise the influence of wind
  • drive distance between the cars minimum 100 m (to avoid slip stream advantages)
  • driven in Normal mode
  • regeneration set to 0
  • ACC set for test 1 100kph / test 2 130kph.
  • heating system set in automatic mode at 22 deg C
The only point that I had changed, is putting the regeneration in automatic mode (automatically adjusted regeneration depending on traffic and on the navigation itenery).
Also, it is typical to do a range test in eco mode.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sorry can you read it was in normal mode and not eco mode.
You misunderstand. I'm saying the test should have been in eco mode. It would have been more consistent with other tests, and probably more reflective of the car's peak efficiency at speed, though it probably wouldn't make a huge difference.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You misunderstand. I'm saying the test should have been in eco mode. It would have been more consistent with other tests, and probably more reflective of the car's peak efficiency at speed, though it probably wouldn't make a huge difference.
OK, I understand your point of view.
But having already an EV since 2017, I personally don't like to drive without airco or heating, drive in Eco to be able to reach my destination, so I thought that it was a realistic test in normal mode and heating set to 22 deg C.

·
Registered
208 Posts
OK, I understand your point of view.
But having already an EV since 2017, I personally don't like to drive without airco or heating, drive in Eco to be able to reach my destination, so I thought that it was a realistic test in normal mode and heating set to 22 deg C.
Fair enough. I think most tests are run in eco with a normal heat/ac setting, so the only real question is what difference normal vs eco mode makes in terms of consumption.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In eco mode and the AWD Ioniq 5 I believe the front drive motor drive is never engaged. In normal mode front motor is used for acceleration below a certain speed (can't remember the details). Testing in normal mode seems to be a sensible choice.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts