·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Officially, the vehicle trims in Canada will be:

• SE
  • Limited
  • Limited Tech

Furthermore, the Cold Climate Package will be equipped standard in Canada… for obvious Canadian reasons.

Hyundai Canada is close to confirming Canadian pricing for the vehicle and will make the information available as soon as possible!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Officially, the vehicle trims in Canada will be:

• SE
  • Limited
  • Limited Tech

Furthermore, the Cold Climate Package will be equipped standard in Canada… for obvious Canadian reasons.

Hyundai Canada is close to confirming Canadian pricing for the vehicle and will make the information available as soon as possible!
Any idea what's the Limited Tech? The brochure only shows SE (Cold Package) and Limited w/ Cold Package

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm gonna find out! Having tested a lot of Hyundais, I'm guessing the Limited Tech has all of the bells and whistles: leather, larger rims (possibly, but that could impact mileage so let's say "nicer rims"), panoramic sunroof, premium stereo, power seats (the SE has manual-adjusted seats), maybe a larger battery pack? Maybe all wheel drive?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm gonna find out! Having tested a lot of Hyundais, I'm guessing the Limited Tech has all of the bells and whistles: leather, larger rims (possibly, but that could impact mileage so let's say "nicer rims"), panoramic sunroof, premium stereo, power seats (the SE has manual-adjusted seats), maybe a larger battery pack? Maybe all wheel drive?
If you take a look at the picture posted by Marcel-g at the other Ottawa thread, you will see that the Limited has basically everything you mentioned except Larger pack and AWD. It has all the safety and luxury feature except the ALKS feature that our European friends have.

Looking forward to seeing what this 'Tech' trim has

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Given what they've packed into "Ultimate" or "Tech" packages on other vehicles, here's what we might expect (this is from the Santa Fe):

Ultimate Tech Package: Smart Cruise Control (SCC) with Stop/Start, Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) with Auto Hold, High Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlights, Dynamic Bending Light (DBL), High Beam Assist

·
Registered
91 Posts
Given what they've packed into "Ultimate" or "Tech" packages on other vehicles, here's what we might expect (this is from the Santa Fe):

Ultimate Tech Package: Smart Cruise Control (SCC) with Stop/Start, Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) with Auto Hold, High Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlights, Dynamic Bending Light (DBL), High Beam Assist
All these are in the Limited trim, the EPB and Hill Assist is in both SE and Limited trim. High Beam Assist is the only one only shown in the brochure

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts

this sounds like Hyundai Canada have used the same specs as UK and not stripped everything out like Hyundai USA

have you still got a lead acid 12v Battery or a LiPo 12v?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Does anyone know if the Ioniq EV has Liquid Cool or Air Cool battery management system?

The brochure indicates the Cold Climate Package has 'Battery Temperature Management System', wondering what that means exactly...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Does anyone know if the Ioniq EV has Liquid Cool or Air Cool battery management system?

The brochure indicates the Cold Climate Package has 'Battery Temperature Management System', wondering what that means exactly...
Javamik in Finland reported: The battery pack is cooled by electric fan. The user manual say that there is air intake under the back seat and do not block air flow, so it is assumed the intake duct is in passenger side of the cabin.

Attached picture shows the battery pack heater grill. It is electric. Also there can be seen grey cooling air intake duct in the front of battery pack and cooling air exhaust duct in the back of the battery.

No liquids involved on the heating nor cooling. What country are you in Redflag?

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
It has an air to air battery cooling system.
Sorry, not sure what that means. This sounds to me like there is no management at all like the original Leaf.

And what's the different between regular Ioniq or US Ioniq vs the Cold Weather Package Ioniq (Canada) in terms of battery management.

Basically I am trying to understand what this 'Battery Temp Management System' in the Cold Weather Package (CWP) does compare to a car with no CWP in both cold and hot climate in terms of battery degradation. This will influence my decision on whether to buy or to lease. I have heard enough story about some older leaf (less than 5 years old) with capacity drop of 40%

·
Registered
91 Posts
Javamik in Finland reported: The battery pack is cooled by electric fan. The user manual say that there is air intake under the back seat and do not block air flow, so it is assumed the intake duct is in passenger side of the cabin.

Attached picture shows the battery pack heater grill. It is electric. Also there can be seen grey cooling air intake duct in the front of battery pack and cooling air exhaust duct in the back of the battery.

No liquids involved on the heating nor cooling. What country are you in Redflag?
I am in Canada, the brochure I got indicates Canada has a 'Cold Climate Package (CCP)' option (might become standard as Mariospants indicates) which includes 'heated rear seat', 'Heat Pump' and 'Battery Temp Management System', the 1st 2 has to do with our cold climate here. I am just trying to understand what the BTMS does for the car or battery. I understand heat in charging or in general kills the battery but since this feature is added to the CCP, I presume it helps the battery in the winter in some ways (although I don't know how).

Also the diagram you included with the 'forced' air cooling to the battery, I wonder how it work in our winter when the road is full of salt, sand and grimes, will it clog the intake? Do we need to have the intake area or even the battery casing clean at a regular interval as the salt and sand will be crusted over everywhere.

Anyone from Northern Europe can chime in? Does the EV sold there has something similar to the Canadian CCP as an option or standard equipment?

Edit: I re-read your post, so the air intake is inside the cabin which makes more sense.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Jan would be the best one to answer this as he has done a lot of research into battery / range / temp

there is a battery warmer function built into all Ioniq EV's but it only works when plugged into a charger
If there is a battery warmer built into all Ioniq, then I really wonder what this BTMS does for the Canadian CCP, just curious and learning

·
Registered
843 Posts
It is my understanding that battery temperature management operates at both ends of the scale - too hot and too cold, so it will heat as well as cool.

But I might be wrong.

If too cold, the battery will perform poorly. If too hot, the life will be shortened.

In Norway in the cold, Bjorn Nyland drives 'like he stole the car' (his words) when testing an EV without battery heater, in order to get the battery temperature up before charging. I guess regenerative charging also suffers if the pack is too cold, thereby reducing efficiency of whatever powertrain is employed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
this sounds like Hyundai Canada have used the same specs as UK and not stripped everything out like Hyundai USA

have you still got a lead acid 12v Battery or a LiPo 12v?
The Electric I looked at on Wed was missing the 12V battery from its spot up in the front compartment, sales guy said they were waiting for the production version of the Lipo 12v

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Our German friends have done some measurements in winter temperatures and displayed that in their forum. For example, see the graphs below. During charging due to the BTMS the battery temperatures increase to room temperature and a bit more.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
If there is a battery warmer built into all Ioniq, then I really wonder what this BTMS does for the Canadian CCP, just curious and learning
This is a good question, maybe a stronger heating mechanism to make sure it stays warm when it's cold out?

I wonder how much power it uses if the car is parked in the cold and not plugged in?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was reading in this post people asking about the 12v battery. I cannot remember if it was the Ioniq but I recall a PHEV or HEV getting rid of the 12v battery and using the LiPo battery to start and power the car as to eliminate weight. I could be wrong about it applying to the Ioniq though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts