Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got snow tires mounted on rims that’ll fit my new 2020 ioniq perfectly, but they don’t have TPMS. What’s the result of installing these? Will there be incessant noise as I drive from warnings? Or just a single warning on dash that I can click off and continue on my merry way?

The tires have one or two seasons left in them before I’ll need to replace, at which point I’ll get proper TPMS for the new ones, I just don’t want to spend the time and money dismounting and remounting all my tires if it’s not needed, especially when they’re getting older.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's not the tyres that have the TPMS but the valves. A competent tyre fitter should be able to fit them very easily. Search for 'TPMS valves' in your favourite search engine and you should find that they are not terribly expensive. Circa £30 ea in UK. Your market may be different.

EDIT: Sorry! To answer your question, if the Ioniq is like my Insignia, once a warning comes on, it doesn't go off until you cure the problem. eg new valves!

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not the tyres that have the TPMS but the valves. A competent tyre fitter should be able to fit them very easily. Search for 'TPMS valves' in your favourite search engine and you should find that they are not terribly expensive. Circa £30 ea in UK. Your market may be different.

EDIT: Sorry! To answer your question, if the Ioniq is like my Insignia, once a warning comes on, it doesn't go off until you cure the problem. eg new valves!
Yes mate, you’re correct, but the new valves can only be fitted by removing the tires from the wheels, which I cannot do at home so I’ll have to go out of my way and pay for. If I can get by for a season or two without it, I will.

I don’t mind a light on the dash but I won’t be able to tolerate constant dinging or harassment.

·
Registered
103 Posts
As I have not yet had a TPMS warning on the car, I can't say if you get a constant audible alert. Admittedly, as I am replacing tyres on a regular basis, my fitter looked after me and didn't charge me for fitting new TPMS valves.

Reactions: Angrymoose

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Admittedly, as I am replacing tyres on a regular basis, my fitter looked after me and didn't charge me for fitting new TPMS valves.
May I ask why you’re replacing tires so often? I reckon from your user name it’s due to Uber/Lyft use? What tires are you running? I’ve had REALLY good luck with Michelin Defenders if you’re looking for something that’ll last you some massive kilometres.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This was on my previous Vauxhall Insignia as a 'proper' taxi driver! [An English thing!] I was getting about 25000 miles out of mid-market tyres. I have only had the Ioniq for a couple of months but my mileage has also dropped during lockdown.

Reactions: Angrymoose

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Understood! Check out those Michelin defenders if you’re going to be putting high mileage again. They’re good for about 80,000 miles (130k km).

·
Registered
727 Posts
I’ve got snow tires mounted on rims that’ll fit my new 2020 ioniq perfectly, but they don’t have TPMS. What’s the result of installing these? Will there be incessant noise as I drive from warnings? Or just a single warning on dash that I can click off and continue on my merry way?

The tires have one or two seasons left in them before I’ll need to replace, at which point I’ll get proper TPMS for the new ones, I just don’t want to spend the time and money dismounting and remounting all my tires if it’s not needed, especially when they’re getting older.
Are you sure that your Ioniq even has TPMSs? None of the 2019 Canadian Ioniq models had them.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you sure that your Ioniq even has TPMSs? None of the 2019 Canadian Ioniq models had them.
It does indeed. Not just “low air” warning either. It shows each individual tire’s pressure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts