Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

I have bought recently an Ioniq 2018 EV, with low km and also still on the warranty period, I'm very happy with the car, very comfortable good driving assistance. Therefore, all the times I need to charge the car shows a lot of noise, looks like the engine of the car is still turned-one. Does this noise is normal for this type and year?

Thanks in advanced for your answers.
Leandro

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,406 Posts
You will get some noise under the hood from time to time as an electric pump runs coolant through the onboard charger. If temperatures creep up too much then the radiator fan will also run, or if you're at a DC fast charger then fans in the rear of the car will come on to pull air through the battery and cool it too.

@Ou Boet , in your EV does the coolant pump under the hood run all the time when charging on AC? In my PHEV it's intermittent, but my onboard charger is half the power of the one in the full EV, so not a good reference for Leandro.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Premium (EV)
146 Posts
I have the 2020 model, and with DC charging the car does in fact make a lot of noise from under the hood (fans, pumps, cooling, etc). Never heard anything when AC charging, but I also never sit in or around the car when it AC charges, so I don't really know.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,406 Posts
I have the 2020 model, and with DC charging the car does in fact make a lot of noise from under the hood (fans, pumps, cooling, etc). Never heard anything when AC charging, but I also never sit in or around the car when it AC charges, so I don't really know.
The 2020 has a liquid cooled battery so the noises are completely different than the 2018 which was forced air cooled. Thanks for chiming in though! Community.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts