Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear All,

In my Ioniq hybrid (2018/02) there is a metalic noise coming from inside of the trunk roof. When I driving on not so smooth roads - and here it is everywhere - it drives me crazy.

If i open the trunk something slides in it 3-5 centimeters. It is located upper right side, nearly at the top of the roof, alongsode where the lift support is, probably there is a cavity under it.

Is there a way to access this cavity without cutting open the roof, and get out this loose thing? If a mechanic strips down the plastic panel under the back window, is it accessible?

Thank You,
István

·
Registered
112 Posts
Try getting a magnet and see if you can get the object to move with it.
Might give you an idea of a screw, metal, that may have come out.
Can't help past that but it's a start

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try getting a magnet and see if you can get the object to move with it.
Might give you an idea of a screw, metal, that may have come out.
Can't help past that but it's a start
Thank you for the suggestion! I tried a magnet, but did not catch it. (Unfortunately it wasn't neodymium magnet)

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
622 Posts
I used this video to install a dashcam with rearview 2nd camera. It shows you how to remove all the plastic trim from the hatch. Is this any use?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used this video to install a dashcam with rearview 2nd camera. It shows you how to remove all the plastic trim from the hatch. Is this any use?
Thank you! This is the perfect starting point! Do you have any advice how to remove the plastic parts as safe as possible? I heard that to avoid working with plastic parts in winter, because it is more rigid in the cols, and more likely to break

·
Registered
8 Posts
The nuts holding onto your rear hatch spoiler are probably coming undone (the metal section between both hatch glasses on the outside of the car) remove the middle plastic that runs between both glass sections on the inside and tighten all the way around. mine keeps coming undone and making a rattling metal sound. thread-locker is a solution. i noticed it originally when one completely fell off and started sliding around the inside of the lid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The nuts holding onto your rear hatch spoiler are probably coming undone (the metal section between both hatch glasses on the outside of the car) remove the middle plastic that runs between both glass sections on the inside and tighten all the way around. mine keeps coming undone and making a rattling metal sound. thread-locker is a solution. i noticed it originally when one completely fell off and started sliding around the inside of the lid.
The noise is coming from the upper part of the trunk roof. Can this travel up so far?

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
622 Posts
It's handy to use a special kit to help remove panels without breaking & damaging them! I bought this on eBay:
31 Pcs Car Trim Removal Pry Tool Molding Kit Panel Door Dash Interior Clip Set | eBay
which has far more things in it than I shall ever use, but maybe some day I'll want something special! It wasn't expensive. For Ioniq hatch I only needed a couple of the all-plastic bent lever bits in middle-left of the photo of he bag of bits, and I also found the long metal lever at the very right side useful.

Yes plastic gets brittle in winter, so I suggest gentle warming with something like a hair dryer, but do be careful not to crack the glass by getting that too hot!

Reactions: KevinT
1 - 8 of 8 Posts