Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not everyone has been as fortunate as you. I live in Pacific NW. When the rear window gets soiled from dust and it mixes with water then the problem is quite visible. That being said, I have ceramic coated the window and this creates very large water drops. As they grow the just run off. This seems to work the best vs. RainX or others.

·
Registered
2022 I5 SEL Lucid Blue
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hard to capture it in a picture. I don't understand why forum people have to hate on everything... This is just an illustration to show how rain doesn't get to the rear window. Not that anyone cares, but I take this to a lot of EV events and this is one concern that people have an it's nice to help them out a little.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 SEL RWD - Lucid Blue
71 Posts
Issue is not rain itself.

It's dirt and grime from the road.

If it's just raining, even if the back is filled with rain, that doesn't impact visibility to a unsafe degree.

Live is California no issue.

Live in snow, issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not everyone has been as fortunate as you. I live in Pacific NW. When the rear window gets soiled from dust and it mixes with water then the problem is quite visible. That being said, I have ceramic coated the window and this creates very large water drops. As they grow the just run off. This seems to work the best vs. RainX or others.
Just picked up my IOniQ5 Ulimtate on Friday the 13th. I had the graphene coating on mine and had rain on the third day. Drove thru many road construction areas as well as farms where the tractors had left soil on the road. Didn't have a problem with rearward vision.

Upon washing the vehicle when I go home, I looked very closely at the design of the deflector at the rear. If you go the start of the deflector just behind the rear door and run your hand through it, you will understand why the deflector is not doing its job. The end of deflector is curved upward, causing the air flow to rise, shoud have had a slot that tunnels the air downward.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just picked up my IOniQ5 Ulimtate on Friday the 13th. I had the graphene coating on mine and had rain on the third day. Drove thru many road construction areas as well as farms where the tractors had left soil on the road. Didn't have a problem with rearward vision.

Upon washing the vehicle when I go home, I looked very closely at the design of the deflector at the rear. If you go the start of the deflector just behind the rear door and run your hand through it, you will understand why the deflector is not doing its job. The end of deflector is curved upward, causing the air flow to rise, shoud have had a slot that tunnels the air downward.
That lifted portion is actually meant to funnel air into the spoiler and redirect it against the window. Without it, you'd get weird turbulent stripes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That lifted portion is actually meant to funnel air into the spoiler and redirect it against the window. Without it, you'd get weird turbulent stripes.
Please stop perpetuating this falsehood. The rear spoiler is only there to reduce drag/lift. Not to push air against the glass. In order to reduce drag, you need to separate the air where the body slopes downward. In this case, the rear glass. Making the air stick to the glass creates lift, which is terrible for driving dynamics at highway speeds and drag. If it sticks to the glass the whole car acts like an airplane wing which, for cars, is a bad thing.

Source, from Hyundai, itself: The Exquisite Combination: The aerodynamic design of IONIQ 5

1 - 8 of 8 Posts