Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hyundai Canada got back to those of us who reached out to press for preconditioning after @Corbin noted that US 2022 models that don't already have it won't get it.
Font Number Screenshot Document Rectangle

This likely means European models that don't already have preconditioning won't get it as well.

I plan to test out the existing Winter Mode carefully this winter to determine if it works as advertised. I strongly suspect that it doesn't.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Winter mode is just a gimmick. I took the car from Vancouver into Banff in February and the charging speeds were horribly slow. This was at around -19 to -20 degrees C. What a shame
If 'Winter Mode' doesn't work as advertised, that's possibly a direction we could push in for preconditioning.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, I got the same email response. Very disappointing and lame on Hyundai's part. If I can make the numbers work I'll probably trade my 2022 I5 on a 2023 GV60 with preconditioning that's being built now. It's that much of a big deal to me. Lived with my Kona EV for 3 prairie winters with no battery preconditioning and it sucked. Winter mode helps as it starts battery warming once it connects to a DC charger but is not nearly as useful as actual battery preconditioning.
Yeah, I'm moving to the US in a year or so and just put my name on a list at a dealership where I'm looking to move. Importing the car might have been doable, but importing a car that can't precondition doesn't seem that worth it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What possible “technical limitation” is there?!
The only possibility I can think of is that for some reason North American cars got a smaller PTC heater than in Europe with insufficient power to bring the battery up to 20°C when it's -30°C out. But even in that case, it would be better to have the feature even if it had limitations than not have it.

Spec sheets I've found do indicate that North American cars have a PTC heater and brochures advertise a 'battery heating system'. I posted a brochure here that my salesman confirmed was released for the initial run of vehicles. Canadian owners unite for pre-conditioning!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It looks like there is limited software available for reflashing of ECU and TCM modules but not other modules. This is unfortunate as one might in theory be able reflash BMS and VCU modules with 2023 software otherwise if they were available. The more I dig into this the more I start feeling it might be easier to buy a NA vehicle with this software already installed especially if Hyundai continues deny pre conditioning support for the older Ioniq 5s.
Yeah, I'm moving back to the US next year and put my name on a list at a dealer there. I was already unsure about importing the car, but it's definitely not worth it to import a car without preconditioning. That said, I'm going to put energy into this until I'm sure we can't change the decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts