Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hyundai Canada got back to those of us who reached out to press for preconditioning after @Corbin noted that US 2022 models that don't already have it won't get it.
Font Number Screenshot Document Rectangle

This likely means European models that don't already have preconditioning won't get it as well.

I plan to test out the existing Winter Mode carefully this winter to determine if it works as advertised. I strongly suspect that it doesn't.

·
Registered
2022 Cyber Grey IONIQ 5 RWD LR
86 Posts
Hyundai Canada got back to those of us who reached out to press for preconditioning after @Corbin noted that US 2022 models that don't already have it won't get it.
View attachment 45444
This likely means European models that don't already have preconditioning won't get it as well.

I plan to test out the existing Winter Mode carefully this winter to determine if it works as advertised. I strongly suspect that it doesn't.
Winter mode is just a gimmick. I took the car from Vancouver into Banff in February and the charging speeds were horribly slow. This was at around -19 to -20 degrees C. What a shame

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Winter mode is just a gimmick. I took the car from Vancouver into Banff in February and the charging speeds were horribly slow. This was at around -19 to -20 degrees C. What a shame
If 'Winter Mode' doesn't work as advertised, that's possibly a direction we could push in for preconditioning.

·
Registered
2022 AWD Ultimate Johnny 5
463 Posts
Yup, I got the same email response. Very disappointing and lame on Hyundai's part. If I can make the numbers work I'll probably trade my 2022 I5 on a 2023 GV60 with preconditioning that's being built now. It's that much of a big deal to me. Lived with my Kona EV for 3 prairie winters with no battery preconditioning and it sucked. Winter mode helps as it starts battery warming once it connects to a DC charger but is not nearly as useful as actual battery preconditioning.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, I got the same email response. Very disappointing and lame on Hyundai's part. If I can make the numbers work I'll probably trade my 2022 I5 on a 2023 GV60 with preconditioning that's being built now. It's that much of a big deal to me. Lived with my Kona EV for 3 prairie winters with no battery preconditioning and it sucked. Winter mode helps as it starts battery warming once it connects to a DC charger but is not nearly as useful as actual battery preconditioning.
Yeah, I'm moving to the US in a year or so and just put my name on a list at a dealership where I'm looking to move. Importing the car might have been doable, but importing a car that can't precondition doesn't seem that worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have just returned from dealer because i was scheduling for 2 firmware updates :

recalls

Update SCU control unit, IONIQ 5 (NE EV)
Valid until: 12/31/9999
Campaign code: 21D064

service actions

Update tailgate module (CDM) control unit, IONIQ (NE EV)

Valid until: 03/23/2024
Campaign code: 20D014

I also asked about battery preconditioning and i got the answer by phone. So dealer contacted hyundai and the response was:

The battery preconditionning will come as infotainment navigation update in octomber. If the car have the required hardware it will enable preconditioning when navigating to DC charging station (on route).

I hope that it means if my car model 2022, is heating baterry after connected to DC (verified via OBDII car scanner) it is also eligible for this update and it can then trigger on route.

·
Registered
Digital Teal Ioniq 5 SEL AWD
42 Posts
I have just returned from dealer because i was scheduling for 2 firmware updates :

recalls

Update SCU control unit, IONIQ 5 (NE EV)
Valid until: 12/31/9999
Campaign code: 21D064

service actions

Update tailgate module (CDM) control unit, IONIQ (NE EV)

Valid until: 03/23/2024
Campaign code: 20D014

I also asked about battery preconditioning and i got the answer by phone. So dealer contacted hyundai and the response was:

The battery preconditionning will come as infotainment navigation update in octomber. If the car have the required hardware it will enable preconditioning when navigating to DC charging station (on route).

I hope that it means if my car model 2022, is heating baterry after connected to DC (verified via OBDII car scanner) it is also eligible for this update and it can then trigger on route.

When did you receive your Ioniq 5?

Super frustrating that they'd say this can't be done, **** i'd be willing to pay $3k for the ability to have on route preconditioing, since charging speeds will be absolutely glacial at -30 degrees f.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yea when it's cold the charging speed is slow. from 43 kw upwards depending on temperature. These are my tests:

Hyundai Ioniq 5 and KIA EV6 have best charging speed among electric cars, but actual charging speed depends upon the temperature of the battery pack, it drops when battery pack is cold (below 15°C, 20°C and 25°C) or too hot (max module temp over 45°C). As Ioniq 5 does not preheat the battery en route to a CCS charger, charging will take more time in winter, it yet needs to be tested with battery temperatures below 10°C or 5°C. No one made such test with Kia EV6 yet.

Test results by Bjorn Nyland and James Cheung:
1C = 100A charging, up to 3C charging

minimum temperature of the battery pack
below 15°C - charging speed 70kW 726v*100A
over 15°C - charging speed 115kW 726v*150A
143kW 726v*200A LIMITED due to HVAC ON even on minimum temp 25C (COOLING NEEDED), triggers when maxtemp > 30C & HVAC ON
over 20°C - charging speed 180kW 726V*250A
over 25°C - charging speed 215kW 726V*300A

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 RWD 77.4kW
145 Posts
[...] it yet needs to be tested with battery temperatures below 10°C or 5°C. No one made such test with Kia EV6 yet.
In Canada last Winter I never saw more than 90kW, and the least I saw was 35kW at a 350kW charger at -10C. You can search youtube for all sorts of charging test in winter, like
- see about 1/2 through the video he shows 39kW at pack temps below 15C

·
Registered
463 Posts
Btw, this is the reply I got to the same letter (I copied it from the other thread) - it's as if I asked a completely different question:

View attachment 45568
Yup no shocker. I really wonder sometimes if they actually read the emails or proof their likely bulk replies. Their responses are always in the same canned template format thanking and then being apologetic about their delayed response. I have received the same formatted canned responses to multiple emails over the past 3 year from Hyundai. Their apologies always seem less than sincere as you would think they could figure out to reply to the simplest question without it being a 2 week response time, and God forbid they might ask a question like your VIN, you reply immediately and then wait another 2 weeks, rinse and repeat. This stellar communication from a company who wants to be a technology competitor to Tesla. Oh and don't bother actually mailing them a letter, they never respond to those.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hyundai Canada got back to those of us who reached out to press for preconditioning after @Corbin noted that US 2022 models that don't already have it won't get it. View attachment 45444 This likely means European models that don't already have preconditioning won't get it as well. I plan to test out the existing Winter Mode carefully this winter to determine if it works as advertised. I strongly suspect that it doesn't.
What possible “technical limitation” is there?!

·
Registered
463 Posts
The best I have been able to deduce and short of any other salient info from Hyundai they simply don't want to pay dealers the extra hour or so of labour for the programming of the VCU and BMS modules with the upgraded software that exist for later 2022 model and 2023 models. As far as I can appreciate the existing battery heater hardware required for preconditioning has not changed. The only other limitation I see on the earlier models is that they don't have the ability to over the air update beyond the infotainment system.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only possibility I can think of is that for some reason North American cars got a smaller PTC heater than in Europe with insufficient power to bring the battery up to 20°C when it's -30°C out. But even in that case, it would be better to have the feature even if it had limitations than not have it.

Spec sheets I've found do indicate that North American cars have a PTC heater and brochures advertise a 'battery heating system'. I posted a brochure here that my salesman confirmed was released for the initial run of vehicles. Canadian owners unite for pre-conditioning!

·
Registered
463 Posts
The only possibility I can think of is that for some reason North American cars got a smaller PTC heater than in Europe with insufficient power to bring the battery up to 20°C when it's -30°C out. But even in that case, it would be better to have the feature even if it had limitations than not have it.

Spec sheets I've found do indicate that North American cars have a PTC heater and brochures advertise a 'battery heating system'. I posted a brochure here that my salesman confirmed was released for the initial run of vehicles. Canadian owners unite for pre-conditioning!
I don't think Europe has a larger PTC battery heater(not to be confused with the PTC cabin heater). I had a look at the service info at Hyundaitechinfo.com for both the NA 2022 and 2023 models the relevant battery heaters look identical at least in the pictures. This would make you suspect its entirely a software obstacle. The more I look at the system and sub module descriptors this software solution is more complicated than one might initially imagine but obviously a solution already exists in late 2022 and 2023 models.

It looks like there is limited software available for reflashing of ECU and TCM modules but not other modules. This is unfortunate as one might in theory be able reflash BMS and VCU modules with 2023 software otherwise if they were available. The more I dig into this the more I start feeling it might be easier to buy a NA vehicle with this software already installed especially if Hyundai continues deny pre conditioning support for the older Ioniq 5s.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It looks like there is limited software available for reflashing of ECU and TCM modules but not other modules. This is unfortunate as one might in theory be able reflash BMS and VCU modules with 2023 software otherwise if they were available. The more I dig into this the more I start feeling it might be easier to buy a NA vehicle with this software already installed especially if Hyundai continues deny pre conditioning support for the older Ioniq 5s.
Yeah, I'm moving back to the US next year and put my name on a list at a dealer there. I was already unsure about importing the car, but it's definitely not worth it to import a car without preconditioning. That said, I'm going to put energy into this until I'm sure we can't change the decision.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yeah, I'm moving back to the US next year and put my name on a list at a dealer there. I was already unsure about importing the car, but it's definitely not worth it to import a car without preconditioning. That said, I'm going to put energy into this until I'm sure we can't change the decision.
I agree I don't quite feel the battle is futile yet and feel there still is a small chance if enough pressure is applied.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts