Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my premium SE hybrid for a month, when I went out in it last night in the fog the door mirrors misted up and I was searching around for the door mirror heater button but couldn't find it. I've looked in the owners handbook and there is no mention of heated door mirrors, not even on the top spec model. I was very surprised as I just expected that this car would have heated mirrors. I guess Hyundai have not incuded them in order to extend the range of the EV and increase the mpg of the HEV. Even though the electric door mirrors automatically tilt when the car is put in to reverse it is odd that they are not heated as well especially considering all of the other safety features that the Ioniq has I would have thought seeing clearly in the door mirrors would have been an important safety feature. Very disappointing. Has anyone else had problems with misted door mirrors, particularly during the cold weather?

·
Registered
91 Posts
The Canadian brochure that I have indicates and hybrid and electric trim has heated side mirrors.

Note that on my 2012 Hyundai Elantra, the heated mirror is combined with the rear window defrost so turning the rear window defrost also turn on side mirror heat. May be it's the same for the Ioniq?

·
Super Moderator
1,595 Posts
... when I went out in it last night in the fog the door mirrors misted up and I was searching around for the door mirror heater button but couldn't find it.
Has anyone else had problems with misted door mirrors, particularly during the cold weather?
Early this morning I was driving in (the same?) fog and I had the same problem. But by pressing the button for the rear window heater they became clean very fast. Maybe that is the button you are looking for.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. It doesn't state this in the handbook or even state that the mirrors are heated in the brochure but I will try using the rear window defroster next time that the door mirrors mist up.

·
Registered
843 Posts
My hardcopy Ioniq brochure (UK) states "Door Mirrors - Electric Adjustment and Heated" across all variants and trim levels.

As Jan says, probably operates with rear window demister like most cars nowadays.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is strange that heated mirrors are not mentioned in the handbook or in the description of using the rear window defroster.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On my last two cars, Skoda Octavia Elegance the L & R door mirror adjuster button also had a separate mirror heater button on the door handle.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had been scouring the owner's manual also for the heated wing mirrors button, even though I knew the feature existed on the Ioniq as standard.

And no, it's not obvious.
Coming from a Gen2 Prius, where everyone moaned about this not being present at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In the UK brochure it states door mirror : electrical adjustment and heated. Nowhere in the instructions does it state how you switch them on or off. The rear window defroster makes no mention of doing the mirrors at the same time. Next time I need to defrost the mirrors I will try the rear window button.

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,836 Posts
Yes it is odd that this is not mentioned in the manual. I know it's been standard on Hyundai and Kia since I've been driving them in 1996. I know it used to mention it in their manuals, but somehow, somewhere along the line, they must of taken it out during their rewrites of various sections and it never got put back in.

·
Registered
326 Posts
LoL. I never knew that this feature existed. I have noticed that the mirror clears up but I thought it was jut due to driving around.

How do I get rid of condensation on the interior of the front windscreen . There was quite a bit of frost on the front and rear windscreen and around 5 minutes of front /rear demister worked.

However I was left with a lot of moisture on the inside and I had to wipe it away

Is there any way to avoid this ?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Haven't seen the wiring loom, but maybe it IS a cost saving measure - the routing is via the rear window...

In any event, they are heated as part of the same circuit as the rear window, and when that goes on the mirrors clear in about 3 minutes from -3° Celsius.

You can clear them manually within about a minute if they've iced over, or without switching the rear window on at all if it's just wet, not cold. Wipe 'em with a cloth.

It's not compulsory to use them... :D

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
LoL. I never knew that this feature existed. I have noticed that the mirror clears up but I thought it was jut due to driving around.

How do I get rid of condensation on the interior of the front windscreen . There was quite a bit of frost on the front and rear windscreen and around 5 minutes of front /rear demister worked.

However I was left with a lot of moisture on the inside and I had to wipe it away

Is there any way to avoid this ?
Use the front window demister a bit longer. If you leave it on it will dry the screen in another couple of minutes as it automatically switches the a/c on which dries the air.

Potentially you could reduce that to a minute by recirculating the air in the car but I must admit I never bothered with that feature. I find the car warms up the cabin plenty quick enough.

Reactions: ajiom
1 - 20 of 33 Posts