Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My one and only the teeniest of niggles is the fact that you have to plug your phone into the USB every time you get in the car (if you want to use CarPlay). Most leads are at least 1m long so there always a lead dangling over the side or in the way. I have ordered a short (8inch) lead to see if that makes it tidier but why can't the technology use Bluetooth to connect to the car. I left my phone in the car the other day because I forgot to unplug it and take it with me. I am toying with the idea of creating a 'lay flat' charging station that will fit in the space below the USB socket (the wireless charging plate is of no use to iPhone users) so that I can quickly just put my phone down, push it via guides I have created, straight into a USB/lightning lead. At the moment I have no idea what I am going to make it out of so I am googling 'charging stations' to see if anything already exists that will be easy to adapt. I did buy an adapter that plugs into the phone and makes it 'wireless charging' but I can't use it because I need the lightning plug to go into the USB plug

·
Registered
725 Posts
I just ditched the apple carplay with my iphone....I have 64GB USB stick in the socket for music and a wireless charging adapter for the iphone....all I dont have is the ability to talk to my iphone and have the ability to control a limited subset of useless apps via voice. I dont miss the apple carplay at all

·
Registered
34 Posts
For a start, this is an Apple issue, not the Ioniq. Apple are still developing CarPlay via Bluetooth. Short lightning cables are available readily and I have one in the car to have my portable wifi on charge in the centre armrest. There are many, many iphone cases available which incorporate Qi wireless charging capabilty to allow you to throw your phone on the charging mat (which works very well with my Android friends' phones). I almost always plug my iPhone in and put the phone in one of the cup holders for convenience although pretty much everything on the phone can be controlled by the voice command button on the steering wheel (which uses Siri rather than any in-built voice recognition). On the occasions I don't plug the phone in, the Ioniq instantly picks up the phone via Bluetooth and plays music flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Late night whiskey session on the balcony.. thought I'd check in with my favourite people :p <3

Edit: just checked the weather back home.. not even funny.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Late night whiskey session on the balcony.. thought I'd check in with my favourite people :p <3

Edit: just checked the weather back home.. not even funny.
Weather is awesome! Got to try out my heated seats on the way to work on Tuesday morning :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rumour is that the new iPhone 8 (or whatever they are going to call it) is going to be wirelessly charged so maybe they are working on Bluetooth CarPlay as well. You never know. Just out of interest, does Android need to be plugged in or does that work on Bluetooth?

·
Registered
61 Posts
my microsoft phone don't have the issue as there is no MS equiv to carplay / auto

Doesn't Android Auto work for microsoft phones? I don't have my Ioniq so I can't test it but I understand that it is set up for Android phones too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well...

For a start, this is an Apple issue, not the Ioniq. Apple are still developing CarPlay via Bluetooth. Short lightning cables are available readily and I have one in the car to have my portable wifi on charge in the centre armrest. There are many, many iphone cases available which incorporate Qi wireless charging capabilty to allow you to throw your phone on the charging mat (which works very well with my Android friends' phones). I almost always plug my iPhone in and put the phone in one of the cup holders for convenience although pretty much everything on the phone can be controlled by the voice command button on the steering wheel (which uses Siri rather than any in-built voice recognition). On the occasions I don't plug the phone in, the Ioniq instantly picks up the phone via Bluetooth and plays music flawlessly.
This is not an Apple issue at all.
Wireless AppleCarplay is supported, and have been supported since way back from Apples point of view.

In fact, BMW already have full support for wireless Apple carply in several models at the time.
If Hyundai have wanted, they could have supported this as well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Whatever the cause its pretty rubbish, I plugged in my phone and then can't get to my Audible app. Then my wife called and there's an echo call.

My solution is to plug it into the other USB socket and use Bluetooth. I just use audible and Spotify on my phone through Bluetooth and select media.

I was thinking of getting a Qi Wireless charging receiver, then I wouldn't need any wires!

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Whatever the cause its pretty rubbish, I plugged in my phone and then can't get to my Audible app. Then my wife called and there's an echo call.

My solution is to plug it into the other USB socket and use Bluetooth. I just use audible and Spotify on my phone through Bluetooth and select media.

I was thinking of getting a Qi Wireless charging receiver, then I wouldn't need any wires!
echo?, iPhone?, media unit had the march 2017 software update with the iPhone echo fix?

below is the new firmware data

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts

DO IT!

Best £5 ever spent :) (Oh but then you need a few chargers for home/office but they are only a tenner each.....and then you can plug in a USB stick with tons of music on it into the AV unit

·
Registered
166 Posts
DO IT!

Best £5 ever spent :) (Oh but then you need a few chargers for home/office but they are only a tenner each.....and then you can plug in a USB stick with tons of music on it into the AV unit
Just ordered!
@bluecar1 I'll call the dealer and ask about the firmware upgrade. I'v also noticed the brakes groaning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The new iPhone 8 and iPhone X will have Qi (wireless) charging. Now is the time for Hyundai to software update and enable wireless Car Play (which Apple has enabled sine iOS 9).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts