Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined this forum, and wanted to say hello, and quite excited to see how everyone is very nice and friendly in all the posts I have read so far!

I currently own a 2004 Black Prius (from new), and it's done 140 000 miles over that time. It's been one of the best cars I've owned - so relaxing to drive in it, and extremely reliable.
Having said that, it's just failed its MOT for the first time, and cost a small fortune to repair it (rear coil springs, sob sob, plus a few other bits), and so I am on the look out for a new car to replace it. Up until then, I would have kept on driving it...

I've had my eye on the Ioniq for quite some time, and have called my local dealer to ask about availability, and I can probably get one in early January which is excellent, depending on the colour and model (any, Premium, hybrid model). I also had the chance to sit in one in the local showroom, and was very impressed with it. It looks bigger than my Prius, easy on the eye, and the interior looks fine to me, and doesn't look cheap or flimsy. Plus all the tech compared to my old car (I have so many wires and cables running around it!).

I also phoned to ask about the aircon, and the salesperson was not able to tell me if it's independent like the Prius or not. Can anyone confirm? From the posts I have read in this forum, it looks like it can run with the ICE not running? It's the only thing that is of concern to me.

Yes, I have also looked at the new Prius, but its looks and costs don't really swing it for me at the moment. Wait time, according to my Toyota deal is around 4-5 months.
In addition, the Toyota sales person I spoke to, was a little too much of himself when speaking about the Prius (he quoted the official 94 mpg, and not real world, so don't know if he really does have one of his own to drive), and slagging off the competitors (Ioniq, Niro) so didn't help the cause there. I've seen a couple of them around town, and still I never liked the Gen3 version.

Not in a real hurry yet, but will be looking more earnestly in January/February time. I'll certainly be test driving it and comparing it to my Prius.
At the moment, I'm favouring the Ioniq :)
I'll update once I have any news.

Paul.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Welcome here! I am also coming from a Prius, in my case a 2013 Plug In, but now I ordered the Ioniq Electric to be able to fully drive in EV and to use my own solar energy production. I expect it mid January.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi Paul .... welcome to the forum. It's great to have you join us and I hope you will post often telling us about your experiences and all that you learn. For so long, there were only 4 or 5 of us that posted .... but now there are more members and almost every day there are new post.

I, like you, owned a Prius (2010) and traded it for a 2015 Toyota Avalon .... fantastic vehicle. True, I gave up about 10 mpg, but in my case, it was worth it. (I am a senior, and travel a great deal). I'm now considering a smaller, more fuel efficient run around second car.

I have been reading all that I can about the Ioniq, but here in the USA they have not yet arrived, so I have not actually seen one. In pictures ... it is a clear resounding winner over the new Prius. I am a visual sort of guy. The Prius Prime has earned an interest, but I haven't seen one of those yet either, and from what I read, they are expensive.

Your question .... independent A/C. Yes, I have read that is correct.

From all I have read the Ioniq will best the new Prius in highway efficiency, but it's city milage will be lower. You obviously travel a great deal so the Ioniq would work to your favor. Many tout the 6 speed transmission. I'm waiting to decide for myself. I did like the CVT. One thing I was initially hesitant about the Ioniq is the belt driven motor/generator. Then I read that Mercedes had the same arrangement and that lessened my concern.

One disappointment I have in the Ioniq is the color selections. I have no interest in orange. My Avalon is white, and I am definitely not interested in black or dark gray. (I live in the high desert of the southwest and black, although beautiful, is unbearable in the heat. I wish Hyundai offered some of the colors of their other cars. I'm also concerned about the interior colors. I need tan or something light.

I suspect that the Ioniq will give the Prius stiff competition. Here in our community you see as many Hyundai 4 door sedans as you see Toyota. I just hope the reliability will be favorable ..... but several friends own Hyundai's and they praise their rides.

Good luck, and again, welcome.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Welcome to the forums :)

Sorry to hear about the Prius but it definitely sounds like you got some great usage out of it.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I can confirm heating and aircon both independent of ICE

I assume as you mention MOT you are in the UK, there are some good ex-demo bargains to be had if you look around,

I am currently getting about 65-75 mpg over last 5 tanks ,look at my figures by clicking my fuelly link I my signature, that will give you some real world figures

there are a few minor niggles with the power train and the smoothness of the regen braking under specific conditions, nothing to stop anyone buying one and i expect a software update or two will fix these

BC1
any questions just ask

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, and thanks for confirming the A/C independence, and for the additional information.

Yes, sorry, I hail from the Southwest (near Bridgwater) in the UK. I have yet to see an Ioniq in the wild.

I have been reading all the car magazine reviews and did pick up on the EV/ICE transition niggles, and that was a concern but from the user reviews here, it's not as bad as I was thinking, and certainly, they should be fixed with a software update as bluecar1 says.

I did get used to the CVT on the Prius and actually quite like it, so it will be interesting to experience what the drive is like when I test drive it. I am sure to be going over the Ioniq with a fine tooth comb and comparing how it reacts with my Prius! The Prius hybrid battery is still fantastic after all these years and it easily does 55mpg still, so I am expecting great things from Ioniq.

I'm sure I will have more questions to ask, so will ask in the appropriate forum sections...

Paul.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
it the regen braking transition that could be a little smoother coming off cruise using the brake peddle, and when in cruise, if you use the cancel button on the wheel then brake it is fine

the actual transition of ICE / EV is very smooth indeed, just like a gear change on the DSG box, no issues at all

i am also finding if i use the speed limiter rather than cruise i get better mpg, i got 72mpg on a 75 mile run into west london (rush hour and stop start traffic and london traffic) last week only got 62mpg using cruise

seems when not using cruise you use more EV mode and less power as you can be more gentle picking up speed etc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts