Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owing my Ioniq HEV for less than 24 hours, I've had to fork out for a new tyre!
It must have happened just as I arrived at work as I didn't get any low pressure warming whilst driving. After calling Hyundai assist, the AA came out and took the wheel off and found a 2" screw in the centre of the tread.
I thought it would be repairable with a plug but as it entered at an angle, not so. And a new tyre was only available at Hyundai as they are so new. For info they are £88.
Such a shame to buy a new tyre after only 122 miles!
Apart from this my first impression of the Ioniq - awesome?

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Looks like you beat BC1 in the new tyre stakes ;) . Bad luck but at least they're reasonably cheap . On my last car they were £200+ a corner

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would have done, but the Hyundai dealer suggested it just in case it was a defective tyre.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I enquired about the five year maintenance contract and did it cover tyres; I was told [if I heard it correctly] that accidental tyre damage was covered but not tyre wall damage due to curbing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would have tried to plug it. A key punctured my tire near the edge of the tread and no tire shop would try to plug it because of it's location and because a key doesn't make a round hole. I plugged it myself and 2 years and many thousands of miles later the fix is still good.

·
Registered
72 Posts
After owing my Ioniq HEV for less than 24 hours, I've had to fork out for a new tyre!
After calling out a guy to change my tyre a while ago in the wife's mini that got a screw in it, I said, "Typical, that tyre is only a few weeks old". He said - "Of course, new tyres are much more likely to get screws and nails in them, there is more tread, so they pick them up more easily. I see it all the time, most of this type of puncture is in new tyres. They grip them sideways, then over time as you drive they turn around and go into the tyre". I had never thought about that, but maybe it's not just bad luck. I'm only presenting this as a hypothesis, not a theory. I'm not a tyre expert (I'm sure somebody out there is), but I work in a branch of statistics so I'm quite interested in perceptions of luck.

Careful in those new tyres you all have folks... mine have 10k on them so I'm breathing a bit easier.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It must have happened just as I arrived at work as I didn't get any low pressure warming whilst driving. After calling Hyundai assist, the AA came out and took the wheel off and found a 2" screw in the centre of the tread.
I thought it would be repairable with a plug but as it entered at an angle, not so. And a new tyre was only available at Hyundai as they are so new. For info they are £88.
Such a shame to buy a new tyre after only 122 miles!
Apart from this my first impression of the Ioniq - awesome?
"a new tyre was only available at Hyundai as they are so new" I don't understand this. Aren't they just normal 195/65/15 (15 inch) tyres? Is there something special about them we don't know about? Mine just look very normal to me.

Bad luck, btw :(

·
Registered
725 Posts
"a new tyre was only available at Hyundai as they are so new" I don't understand this. Aren't they just normal 195/65/15 (15 inch) tyres? Is there something special about them we don't know about? Mine just look very normal to me.

Bad luck, btw :(
The Hyundai ones are special.....they are £20 more expensive :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
After calling out a guy to change my tyre a while ago in the wife's mini that got a screw in it, I said, "Typical, that tyre is only a few weeks old". He said - "Of course, new tyres are much more likely to get screws and nails in them, there is more tread, so they pick them up more easily. I see it all the time, most of this type of puncture is in new tyres. They grip them sideways, then over time as you drive they turn around and go into the tyre". I had never thought about that, but maybe it's not just bad luck. I'm only presenting this as a hypothesis, not a theory. I'm not a tyre expert (I'm sure somebody out there is), but I work in a branch of statistics so I'm quite interested in perceptions of luck.

Careful in those new tyres you all have folks... mine have 10k on them so I'm breathing a bit easier.
A few months ago I had a puncture(nail) on my current car (not an Ioniq) . I got a new tyre as it was an older tyre anyway and was due a change.

Drove home and had a flat tyre due to another nail on the same new tyre

Had to change the tyre again as it was right on the tread
and not viable for a patch

:-(

So that's 2 new tyres on the same day on the same wheel .:-(

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
rush hour in London, turning right at a T jct, pulled across the traffic turned a little too late and just caught tyre on a sharp curb as less than 2mpg, and ripped the side wall of the tyre

limped 50 mtrs to a side road and had to change a wheel in the rain and dark :(

one thing I would suggest is people find out where the jacking points are hidden before you need them like I did, and work out how the bits of the jack handle fit together as the manual is next to useless

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
yep, forgot just how much further forward the wheels are on the Ioniq compared to the i20 I swapped a month earlier

just misjudged where the wheels were in relation to the curb, trying to make sure the rear of the car wasn't blocking the other lane

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I've curbed it many times.. I'm so lucky I haven't had any problems so far..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts