Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey everyone. I am looking to buy the Ioniq EV when it finally appears here in the US. Before that happens, I need to know what I will need to purchase in order to charge at home here in the US. I know that there are a bunch of them out there but I have no idea what I'm looking at. I don't want to buy the wrong type, etc. Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Welcome Dmatt13

you can either get a level 1 charger which runs off your normal power (but some countries they can't be used for long periods if the battery is completely empty, or the 240v level 2 charger which charges the car from flat to full in about 4-5 hours

your dealer should be able to provide more details of costs etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm sure the dealer will have one......for a large price. I've seen them available online but don't know which type the Ioniq will be using. Plus, there's portable ones that I've seen.....a lot of info.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
one of the EV owners will be able to give you the full story on cable

one thing to note in several market (certainly UK) Hyundai has subsidised the first one or two thousand charger installations so it may be worth keeping an eye out to see if they do the same in the US

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure the dealer will have one......for a large price. I've seen them available online but don't know which type the Ioniq will be using. Plus, there's portable ones that I've seen.....a lot of info.
Hi @dmatt13, I'm pretty sure the L2 chargers are a standard plug that all EVs can hook up to, so I'm not sure if you need to worry about compatibility when you buy one. Some L2 chargers can be internet connected, so you can turn them on and off remotely, which is a nice feature.

Depending on your daily driving needs, you might be able to get by using a standard wall plug initially until you figure out if you need an L2. I think I'm in this category.

I can't definitively say though, not having obtained an EV yet for myself. Soon I hope.

cheers,
marcel

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
@dmatt13, if you charge the car using a 120 V L1 charger via a standard wall plug, am I right that you can get 1.44 kW power maximal? When you have to charge the battery from 0 to 28 kWh, this will take 28/1.44 = 19.5 hours. If you drive daily, this may not work well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
@dmatt13, if you charge the car using a 120 V L1 charger via a standard wall plug, am I right that you can get 1.44 kW power maximal? When you have to charge the battery from 0 to 28 kWh, this will take 28/1.44 = 19.5 hours. If you drive daily, this may not work well.
Yes, it will take that long to get from 0% to 100%, but many people's daily driving doesn't require that much range. If your normal daily driving is 50km, then you would only need to charge about 25% of the battery, so easily achievable overnight. If your daily driving is 100km or more, then yes, it might be necessary to get a L2 charger at home.

What I'm trying to say is that having an L2 charger at home isn't a prerequisite for owning an EV for many people.

This is a point that I think has to be made because there are still a lot of people who think that an EV functions like a gas car and EVs have to be taken to a special charger station to be "filled" up, which they don't. They may also think that you are required to get a special plug at your house before you can own one, but a home L2 charger is nice and convenient and not very expensive, but not absolutely necessary.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Yes, it totally depends on your distances.

And also on whether you can charge the whole day at work!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts