1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ok, as of tomorrow there are new sentencing powers for speeding offences. No longer will there be a fixed fine but in certain circumstances it is means tested. A set percentage of weekly income is the fine.

Not very well publicised until now but I thought I'd share and save some pain.

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/item/speeding-revised-2017/
Yeah this has not been widely publicised but potentially could be horrendous if you are going too quick. Lucky I am buying a car where restraint is encouraged in order to get the best out of it. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Yeah this has not been widely publicised but potentially could be horrendous if you are going too quick. Lucky I am buying a car where restraint is encouraged in order to get the best out of it. ;)
trouble is, being so quiet it is easy to be going faster than you think, hence I used the speed limiter a lot for a while, until I got used to it

·
Registered
373 Posts
trouble is, being so quiet it is easy to be going faster than you think, hence I used the speed limiter a lot for a while, until I got used to it
Good tip. Will remember that when my ioniq finally arrives.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I actually think that's a fair way to calculate fines, especially those who deep pockets who thinks of them as small inconveniences. Should be a more universal way of giving out fines.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Fines tried agains income is a good idea, in theory. hope they get it implementet the right way in that case.

Just got a 390euro fine myself, 73kmh in a 60kmh limit,
i didnt slow down enough in time from the 80 before.
Its a flat rate here, but they CAN give it based on income, if one wants to take it to court, not acepting the ticket.

Im glad they have controlls.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
The world record fine is €650,000 in Switzerland for a Swedish driver going 186 mph (about a million U.S. dollars at the time in 2010). While not a fine, a somewhat steeper price was paid by the first owner of a Bugatti Veyron in Holland. The 2.4 million dollar car (U.S) was confiscated for doubling the speed limit in Rotterdam in 2010. However, it was his 20 year old son driving Daddy's car.

The record for the fastest speeding ticket ever was 242 mph in 2003 in Texas in a 75 mph zone in a Koenigseggs CCR. Kind of wonder how they caught him.

The first man ever convicted of speeding was in East Peckham, Kent in 1896 for doing 8 mph in a 2 mph zone. Fine was one shilling plus costs.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have found the same...I regularly use the limiter in 30 zones as it is easy for the speed to creep up without realising

·
Registered
303 Posts
For years I relied on cruise control to save my license. It's a fantastic way of doing so... as long as the driver is paying attention.

One day I wasn't paying attention and had the cruise set to 40 indicated (37 real) and didn't realise both that I was in a 30MPH zone and that there was a fixed camera ready to capture my momentary indiscretion (which is how I learned that 40 on the clock was 37 in the real world for that particular car).

Fortunately I was offered the choice of spending 4 hours at school, which I took. The instructor reminded all of us of something we were all taught back when we first learned to drive: the legal definition of a built-up area and thus how to work out if the limit is 30.

So cruise control is an excellent speed-management tool, but it's only as good as the nut behind the wheel.

I've noticed that my Ioniq will actively apply the brakes if exceeding the cruise control speed (e.g. downhill), but won't brake if exceeding the limiter speed; instead, it will sound an alert until the dozy driver takes action. But I've only had the car for a few hours; perhaps there's a setting to tell the car to brake when the limiter is active.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I may be wrong (as I havent used the limiter that much yet) but I think it will use Regen (or that was how it seemed) to slow the car but on downhills it will still go over the limit and chime at you as you say

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
On steep hills I use cruise control in preference to the limiter for that very reason - it won't allow the speed to creep.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I may be wrong (as I havent used the limiter that much yet) but I think it will use Regen (or that was how it seemed) to slow the car but on downhills it will still go over the limit and chime at you as you say
speed limiter don't actively slow the car down, it just stops you accelerating past the set speed unless you put your foot right to the floor into the kick down region of the peddle travel then the car takes off like a scolded cat

but if you are on a down hill section where the hill is steep enough for the car to pick up speed the speed limioter will not maintain the set speed, you will have to brake to manually control the cars speed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts