Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking in the forum for over a year waiting for my daughter to start driving and take my beloved 2003 Mazda Protege5. Finally, she started getting serious about it, and so I pulled the trigger on the Ioniq Hybrid.
Wanted a Red (like my Mazda). Not much choice at nearby dealers, though. Had to drive all the way almost to Philadelphia to Conicelli Hyundai (100 miles from home, but they seemed to have every possible combination of trims and colors).

Now just need to grab my daughter as the second driver and bring the new car home.
Then will start getting used to it.

On a test drive, Ioniq felt quite different. Protege is like a bicycle, Ioniq feels much more substantial.

A funny coincidence, while it is very hard to meet an Ioniq on the streets (I can probably count on my fingers the number of times I've seen one), on the way to buy the Ioniq, I was driving behind an Ioniq on Pennsylvania Turnpike for quite a few miles.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Welcome to the forum jipsima. I had a similar plan to hand over my trusty 2002 Honda Civic to my son when he got his driver's license so i could get a new car. But my mother-in-law found a newer/nicer used car for him and then let him buy it at a 'grandma discount'. Same thing happened when the next two kids got their licenses. I finally got myself a nice new Ioniq last year. Hope you enjoy your new Ioniq.

I'm curious how you decided on the Ioniq. As you say, there aren't many out there. And it sounds like the Mazda is still running strong. My wife had a Mazda for a while. It seemed like a well built car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm curious how you decided on the Ioniq. As you say, there aren't many out there. And it sounds like the Mazda is still running strong. My wife had a Mazda for a while. It seemed like a well built car.
I'm kind of obsessed with efficiency and was thinking of a hybrid even in 2003 when it was not really a viable choice.
Mazda is indeed still running strong with barely 90000 miles on it - I don't need to drive much, just weekend trips. I love everything about it except for the fuel economy, averaging about 25mpg.
So, when I decide it is time to look for a new car, I surveyed the current state of hybrids. I excluded all sedans - I fly RC model airplanes and need a big opening to put them into the car. So, Ioniq, Prius and Niro are the most efficient among liftbacks/hatchbacks. Looked at them at the NY Autoshow. Wanted to test drive all three of them, but proved not worthy of efforts. And since I liked Ioniq most anyway, and owners here seem to be happy, I pulled the trigger on it after a short test drive to verify I don't feel any showstoppers.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Makes sense, the Ioniq is all about efficiency. (And value, and reliability, and styling, and design, and tech, and …)

I used to fly RC helicopters a few years ago. Just for the heck of it I flew a small one last week and quickly realized that I had forgotten the hand eye coordination that used to be second nature. Have you heard of the Toledo Weak Signals RC Expo, supposedly the 'largest and longest running RC model expo' in North America.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to fly RC helicopters a few years ago. Just for the heck of it I flew a small one last week and quickly realized that I had forgotten the hand eye coordination that used to be second nature.
I flew helis as well, there was just too much maintenance and tuning and high cost of a mistake. Planes were just much more relaxing and less demanding.

Have you heard of the Toledo Weak Signals RC Expo, supposedly the 'largest and longest running RC model expo' in North America.
Of course I heard about it, but never attended.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally drove the car home.
Getting used to the seat will take some time. Need to get a pillow for my upper back just like I had in my old car (in the background on the picture).

Tried the BlueLink and discovered that my doors are unlocked. Strange, I used the button on the driver door and I thought I pulled to check the door was locked. On the plus side, tested remote locking function.

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
Congrats on your new Ioniq!
I wonder if you really need a pillow for upper back support. The driver seat is equipped with lumbar support adjustment. Have you tried playing with it? Perhaps you can find a combination of seat height, tilt, lumbar support and head support position that will suit you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Finally drove the car home.
Getting used to the seat will take some time. Need to get a pillow for my upper back just like I had in my old car (in the background on the picture).

Tried the BlueLink and discovered that my doors are unlocked. Strange, I used the button on the driver door and I thought I pulled to check the door was locked. On the plus side, tested remote locking function.
I also have the same car except I did not opt for the ultimate upgrade.

So a very smart color choice you made! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love the way you guys in the USA just "Hand Down" yer old cars to your Sons / Daughters .. Here in the UK we have NO CHANCE of doing that ... The Insurance Bill would make us all BANKRUPT !!!!!!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I love the way you guys in the USA just "Hand Down" yer old cars to your Sons / Daughters .. Here in the UK we have NO CHANCE of doing that ... The Insurance Bill would make us all BANKRUPT !!!!!!!
The insurance bill is less of an issue compared to trying to use public transportation from suburb town A to suburb town B a few miles away without going through the city’s transportation hub.. I’d love to commute to work by bus or train, but it is not possible. We are stuck here in a Henry Ford car country whether we like it or not. You can’t even walk down the street because there are no sidewalks.
BTW, Mr. Spock didn’t speak Latin, but if he did, he would check his grammar >:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
Bermah
Hyundai IONIQ Forum
A community of Hyundai Ioniq enthusiasts discussing the electric acceleration & reliability of the Hyundai ioniq hybrid.
Full Forum Listing