Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month I had the opportunity to travel to beautiful Durham, North Carolina on Hyundai’s dime to check out the new IONIQ EV and hybrids. The IONIQ, you’ll recall, is a 3 car strategy from Hyundai aimed at the high-efficiency vehicle market traditionally dominated by Toyota’s Prius line.

Though the Prius-beating 58 mpg and nifty new 12V battery replacement technology in the IONIQ Hybrid was impressive, it’s the IONIQ Electric we’re all here to talk about. I spent the bulk of my time driving the EV – and boy was I pleasantly surprised…

<snip>

It was sunny and relatively warm in Durham for our test drives. I tested the IONIQ Hybrid only briefly to see how it felt against the EV. As expected, the EV blows away the hybrid on acceleration, especially off the line and on the low end. Also, obviously, it is way quieter, smoother and a better experience all around. As a 2012 Prius owner, however, the hybrid experience was pretty similar to what I was used to in this type of vehicle. One big thing to note here: The Android Auto/Apple CarPlay experience is good vs. non-existant Prius smart connectivity.

Most Hyundai dealers nationwide won’t offer the EV IONIQ on the lot for test drives, they will be special orders and arrive within 2 months of ordering. But at least they are available nationwide (ahem Chevy) so you can take my advice above: Test drive the hybrid, if you like it, you’ll love the EV.

<snip>
Full article at:
https://electrek.co/2017/04/05/hyundai-ioniq-ev-review/#more-39969

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Nice one. I'm planning to go to EV in 2019 when this lease is up on the hybrid.. hopefully they sort out their stock issues by then!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Interesting. Totally misinformed about Prius mileage. Stated only a few mpg increase since the first year. More like 50% in real mpg.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts