Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new member from London, UK. I've had my Ioniq hybrid for just over a year, and I'm very pleased with it.
Purchased it as I wanted a hybrid for ecological reasons. And getting just over 60mpg (UK gallons)

One of my smart keys got zapped in the microwave (don't ask), and the electronics don't work. The dealer quoted some ridiculous price of over £350, plus tax plus the cost to program it.
I've done some research and I think the key is part number 95440-G2100, 3 buttons. I've seen smart keys on US ebay, but they have 4 buttons which I think is 95440-G2000.

Can anyone provide any help on how to get a replacement without costing the earth.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
Marina Blue HEV Ltd IONIQ from 25 Jul '17
1,860 Posts
I've seen smart keys on US ebay, but they have 4 buttons
All I can confirm is that the US/Canadian models do have 4-button fobs, as regulations on this side of the pond require fobs to have a panic button that will sound the car's alarm in case you are attacked by a mugger near your car; not that that would do much good as any time a car alarm does go off over here, people normally assume the panic button was pressed in error while in somebody's trouser pocket and often don't even bother looking to see what car it's coming from. Still it's also a good way to find your car if you forgot where you parked it.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I can confirm is that the US/Canadian models do have 4-button fobs, as regulations on this side of the pond require fobs to have a panic button that will sound the car's alarm in case you are attacked by a mugger near your car; not that that would do much good as any time a car alarm does go off over here, people normally assume the panic button was pressed in error while in somebody's trouser pocket and often don't even bother looking to see what car it's coming from. Still it's also a good way to find your car if you forgot where you parked it.
Thanks for the explanation, not sure if the 4 button fob can be used in the UK.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Buy the 3 button key fob and search for a car locksmith in your region. You might as well buy the fob from the locksmith too. Usually the cost is 1/2 stealership.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Good luck @steve-b, and do keep us posted, good info for all of us with microwaves. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks, have bought a key from ebay, let's see what happens next....
Did you have any joy with the key you purchased off eBay? I need a replacement key fob for my 68 reg Ioniq and don't want to pay the ridiculous Hyundai dealership price.

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
469 Posts
Don't forget, while it contains a key that can open the doors in an emergency, most of us can't use that key to start the car. The car and fob have to talk to one another and agree that they match, this takes time and the correct equipment as well as the necessary admin rights with the car's operating system to synchronise the two.

Don't forget, these aren't cars, they're fully network integrated computer systems that happen to be personal transport modules! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts