• Kona EV

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Due to the pandemic the nature of my work is changing and so I will be working more locally than before. Say 50-100KM a day.

I am considering whether to buy a Kona EV or an Ioniq Electric or an Ioniq PHEV.

If the family goes camping etc then neither option is practical so I can't see this vehicle being used for many long trips.

Kona pros - range anxiety less often, good $/KM range, cons - more expensive, maybe more battery than i need, may need a charger at home

Ioniq EV - pros - less expensive than kona, better storage, looks comfortable, cheaper financing, cons - range anxiety, more expensive $/Km range, may need a charger at home

Ioniq PHEV - pros - no range anxiety, reasonably priced, good financing, cons - petrol engine will need servicing

Any advice gladly accepted! Thanks!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think it will all depend on the nature of your trip and the frequency of the long trip.

I owned Ioniq EV for over 2 years. Just had one service done. I love the car so much. Driving in pure EV is really a pleasure to me. I made use of the government incentive for the car as well as the level 2 charger back in 2017.

I recently traded my EV for 2020 PHEV. The reason is simply because my life style has changed a bit. Previously, my EV was for city driving almost 95% of the time is city driving. But now, we do road trip more frequent and I have small kids, so I do not want to have lot of stop over for charging. I feel it is a waste of time especially if you have small kids with you on a long trip. It is simply not convenient.

So I ended up trading my EV for PHEV. I would say I am very pleased with the PHEV. The first few long trip was quite a learning experience for me. Driving in HEV mode is quite different from EV mode especially if you have been driving EV for over 2 year, you will need sometime to get use to the HEV mode with the engine coming on.

But maintenance wise, I get 3 year free maintenance from Hyundai ( I believe they are still doing this promo till end of Aug) and also engine oil change frequency on this model is not every 6000km but rather every 12000 km.

I was told there is a minimal maintenance comparing to a regular ICE car.

If you do not have small kids, and you don't mind the stopping in between for recharging the EV, and time is not a factor in your travel then go for pure EV. But keep in mind, the Kona and Ioniq EV both have the waiting period over 6 month. If you place an order now, you will get it next year. That is what Hyundai told me when I was thinking of trading Ioniq for Kona EV.

Hope this is helpful.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it will all depend on the nature of your trip and the frequency of the long trip.

I owned Ioniq EV for over 2 years. Just had one service done. I love the car so much. Driving in pure EV is really a pleasure to me. I made use of the government incentive for the car as well as the level 2 charger back in 2017.

I recently traded my EV for 2020 PHEV. The reason is simply because my life style has changed a bit. Previously, my EV was for city driving almost 95% of the time is city driving. But now, we do road trip more frequent and I have small kids, so I do not want to have lot of stop over for charging. I feel it is a waste of time especially if you have small kids with you on a long trip. It is simply not convenient.

So I ended up trading my EV for PHEV. I would say I am very pleased with the PHEV. The first few long trip was quite a learning experience for me. Driving in HEV mode is quite different from EV mode especially if you have been driving EV for over 2 year, you will need sometime to get use to the HEV mode with the engine coming on.

But maintenance wise, I get 3 year free maintenance from Hyundai ( I believe they are still doing this promo till end of Aug) and also engine oil change frequency on this model is not every 6000km but rather every 12000 km.

If you do not have small kids, and you don't mind the stopping in between for recharging the EV, and time is not a factor in your travel then go for pure EV. But keep in mind, the Kona and Ioniq EV both have the waiting period over 6 month. If you place an order now, you will get it next year. That is what Hyundai told me when I was thinking of trading Ioniq for Kona EV.

Hope this is helpful.

Hope this is helpful.
Very helpful - thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts