Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I'm an Englishman living in very happily France since 2003. Over the years I have had many cars, nothing exotic, financially restricted as most people, other than a 5 year old Jaguar 3,8 MK II lovely car but a little thirsty. I can remember watching the fuel gauge go down quite visibly when you got a move on. I also had a 1962 Citroen DS Estate Car, a vast vehicle way ahead of its time. Nothing else remarkable, I currently own a Dacia Duster Diesel, but I am seriously considering an Ioniq EV. I would really like to wait for about 5 years when I think range anxiety and infra structure restrictions will be mainly solved, but at 78 I don't think I can risk that luxury!! The following is about my second test drive yesterday:

I returned the car after doing a 100 kms, it had a predicted a range of 154 km when I got it, when I took it back it still predicted 87 km, so I had gained 33 km from somewhere. It was a very nice drive, but I got back not completely sold. I suppose I was thinking about the money and the range etc. Meanwhile the dealer had made out which I thought was a really good offer, I said 'je vais reflechir' (I'll think about it) like all french people do. The dealer even said you might like to try and sell it on Leboncoin, (a free advertising site, very popular here) if so, he would hold the rest of the deal untill April. Anyway, I left and got in my car and drove away, almost immediately I nearly went back to complete the deal. It was surprising how quickly I had got used to the silence and sophistication of the Ioniq. My car really felt like a 20 year old clunker, the only thing that was better, for me, was the seating height. Up till now I've been well pleased with the ride and tautness of the Duster, but no longer.

A couple of things, even in 'eco mode' its still faster then the duster and in sport quite lively. I couldn't help thinking that the Ioniq 0 -100 kms is about 9.6 secs and the latest Tesla ludicrous mode is 2.3 secs, jesus!!!! I tried the lane following tech, it works after a fashion and it feels very strange especially when it steers you round a bend. However, it needs very well defined white lines, I think it would be very good on a long trip on a proper motorway. Also it is very insistent that you keep your hands on the steering wheel, it senses when they aren't. The regen is excellent, it seems the best way to utilise this is to continuously use the paddles on the steering column rather than the programmed mode levels. You obviously get regen from the brakes also, which I think eventually you would hardly use, other than bringing the car to a final stop, or in emergencies. I really like the reversing camera, although it will take a bit of getting used to and to trust. Towards the end of the test I hardly noticed the rather poor view through the rear window caused by the wind deflector. I think the most noticeable thing about the car (without regen) is when you take your foot of the accelerator, the way the car just keeps going, is almost eerie. With my Duster you need quite a steep slope for it to speed up.

i hope the above is of some use.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Going from an older car and test driving something like this is definitely a mind-boggler. You immediately feel that your car is so much "less" for a lack of better words. That Tesla that hits 2.3 seconds, boy, I can only imagine the tears from my eyes haha but that's way out of my budget unfortunately.

But thank you for that great write-up!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts