Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm Matthew, from the Toronto area. Mississauga to be exact, but if you don't know the area it's easier to say Toronto, Canada.

I was originally interested in the Prius Prime which has been released in the US but not in Canada yet. Toyota was putting it on display at the Canadian International Autoshow in Toronto earlier this February. A friend of mine pointed out that Hyundai were giving away free tickets to the Autoshow to promote the Ioniq, which at the time I knew little about. So I signed up through Hyundai and got free tickets and it was good marketing on their part as I didn't realize that Hyundai were releasing a plug-in car that would compete with the Prius Prime.

I was then disappointed to find out that the Ioniq plug-in wouldn't be available until late 2017 but surprised to find out the pure electric vehicle would be available this spring. I hadn't considered getting a pure electric because I wasn't crazy about the Bolt and many of the other options with a decent range weren't going to be available until the end of 2017.

I'm currently driving a 2002 Toyota Echo, which is really breaking down. I've delayed getting a car for quite some time and I've really driven this car into the ground. Which is why I was looking for something this spring.

So I'm pretty set on getting a electric Ioniq as long as still unannounced Canadian price isn't too high. Also I would like to test drive it first, even if it's one of the hybrids if the dealership doesn't have one of the electric models.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Welcome in this forum! It looks like you're in the same process as I was in October/November last year. I was also aiming at the Prius Prime, coming from a first generation Prius Plug In. But then I found out about the Ioniq EV and the interesting possibilities it has, and I found out that in the last five years I never had a trip that did not fit in the range of the Ioniq EV. Also, in the Netherlands the price of the Ioniq EV was at least 7000 euro lower. Now I have it since mid January, and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jan. Yeah, 200 KM is great range that I think will meet my needs, even with some battery degradation and driving in winter weather. Also my wife has her own car and if for whatever reason I needed to drive quite the distance, I could always switch with her for a day.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Yes, you are also in a good situation for the EV version. You will not regret it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts