Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking on the forum for a few days and picking up lots of information and tips.

Due to my i40 being written off due to a tree falling on it during a storm I have managed to find a dealer with an Ioniq in stock (no easy task).

I have gone for the Premium SE in Phantom Black on a 2 year lease and should be picking it up on 30th or 31st March.

I am really looking forward to getting behind the wheel.

I was due to replace the i40 in September anyway and had my eye on the Ioniq from when it was announced.
I was visiting the dealership not long after the uk release and took one out for a test drive as I was not sure about having a car with an automatic gearbox but was very impressed.

I have owned (and driven as curtesy cars) various Hyundai cars over the last 20 years but this will be my 1st hybrid and automatic car (always owned manual cars before).

I thought the spec list was great in my i40 but the Ioniq takes that up a notch. Looking forward to playing with all the gadgets and gizmos in the car.

As my regular work commute always means me sitting in stop start traffic for around 15-20 mins I am hoping to make use of the electric motor get an increase over the diesel i40's fuel economy.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
the Ioniq loves stop start traffic, I sit on the south side of the M25 now and again, and it don't hurt the economy

what are the rest of the road speeds on your commute?

most economical speeds are 50-60, with constant speed, and a few long slopes (up and down) to give best use of the battery

·
Registered
166 Posts
@MarJon,

Shame about the i40, I just finished a 4 year PCH on an i40 estate. I have an Ionic Premium (it arrived on the 1st), also in Black. I've had had one 141 mile journey and that consists of about 30miles rural A/B roads followed by Dual carriage way and M25. I managed 59MPG without trying.

I love the gearbox and the 'tech', especially the Smart Cruise Control. It's great on the M25 where you continuously get idiots (mainly BMWs, not that I'm prejudiced ;) ) cutting in front of you.

It is very different to the i40, yet somehow familiar. I find the seats a little firmer but still comfortable and supportive, the SatNav is much improved over the i40 and the 8" LCD display is much more responsive than the i40s. The switchgear is a lot nicer that the i40s and I think its actually a lot better quality.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@bluecar1
Sounds like I might good some good fuel economy from the Ioniq then as when i travel into work the roads are a lot quieter its pretty much 50-60 motorway/dual carriageway for around 3/4 of the journey then its city traffic from then on with the last mile or so being uphill.
On the way home obviously got the downhill bit then its more stop start city traffic and the majority of the dual carriageway and motorway is stop start but when it is moving it tends to be around 50mph (motorway is currently limited to 50 due to road works).

I was averaging around 48-50mpg in the i40.

My original plan when I was looking to swap was to have an Ioniq for the day and do my usual commute but the tree has put pay to that, but at least I get the car earlier :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Marjon which i40 did you come from ? Estate or saloon ? 115ps or 141ps ? Manual or auto ?

Just curious of your mpg as it was a car I looked at when getting my existing car and looked at again before choosing Ioniq. I couldn't get good lease price on i40 so would have bought a up to 12 month old one then I saw the Ioniq and the lease prices.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
you should be able to beat you i40 pretty easy for mpg, as to get that you must be fairly light with the right foot

I was getting mid 60's on a 60 mile commute from home in kent to Richmond west London with a lot of stop start on the m25 / London traffic before xmas

word of warning though, it can become addictive getting the best mpg out of the Ioniq, I have managed over 80 mpg (calculated & trip computer) over 350 miles a few weeks ago,

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Rundmcuk
115ps Estate manual (SE Nav Spec)

The lease price for my Ioniq is going to be £25 per month less than the i40 which is pretty good considering they are roughly the same price to buy.
@bluecar1
Just on the test drive i did i notice the gauge on the left of the drivers display gives an indication of how economically you are driving and remember thinking it seemed like it could be like a game to get the best value.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts