Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
We took delivery of our brand new Iron Grey Ioniq HEV at the weekend and I'm torn. I like the colour but it is very glittery in sunlight & I'm worried it will show scratches and marks very easily. Any owners of Iron Grey experienced this or is it not too bad? Had a black car before. I'm considering smart insurance to cover this, anyone else have this?

Any tips etc with the infotainment system? In the central driver cluster I can't work out the best option!?

Fuel economy not great but it is cold and my commute is only 4 miles. Still better than previous diesel car.

Sorry for the long post but I'm still getting used to the Ioniq but don't quite love it as much as I thought I would 馃

Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
Welcome to the forum.

Hi everyone,
We took delivery of our brand new Iron Grey Ioniq HEV at the weekend and I'm torn. I like the colour but it is very glittery in sunlight & I'm worried it will show scratches and marks very easily. Any owners of Iron Grey experienced this or is it not too bad? Had a black car before. I'm considering smart insurance to cover this, anyone else have this?
Can't help here, mate, as I don't have the colour, nor am I in the UK, but I'm sure there plenty of people on here who can help you with this.

Any tips etc with the infotainment system? In the central driver cluster I can't work out the best option!?
How do you mean?

For me, when I don't have my phone plugged in, I generally set it to the Hybrid chart that shows my economy for every 2.5-minute block. I get there by tapping on "Hybrid" then tapping on the box that shows my economy.

When I plug in my phone, I generally go into CarPlay and use WAZE maps (mine doesn't have built-in Nav).

Any specific questions about the infortainment headunit, feel free to ask.

Fuel economy not great but it is cold and my commute is only 4 miles. Still better than previous diesel car.
Yes, your journey length and the temps are MPG killers. My regular commute to my office is only 9 km each way, which is only a little further than your commute. In that time, the car barely has a chance to become acclimated to the conditions and get it's parts running optimally before you've arrived and are shutting down. Lately I've been commuting to my sister's which is about 18 km (while working more from home and while she's recovering from a broken tibia), and with that commute, I've been able to achieve much better fuel economy than on my office commute.

Once you take it on some trips, you should definitely start seeing optimal economy for those trips. We had a warm spell last week (around 6-9掳C), where I am, and with grippier winter tyres on steel rims, I was able to get over 65 UK MPG on the commute to my sister's. First time, actually, that I've gotten a figure that good at those temps on winters or summers; but as others have reported on this forum, the car's economy seems to only get better over time and the more mileage you put on it. On trips to Toronto (about 400 km from Ottawa) in the summer, I've managed to get over 70 UK MPG. Some UK users I know have managed over 90, but I've never gotten quite that high myself.

Best thing is light on the throttle and the brakes, making use of pulse and glide driving where possible and let the car do its thing. But, definitely take it on some longer drives to see what kind of MPG you can get.

Probably a little late now, but did you consider the PHEV at all. With your commute, provided you could charge at home, your commute would basically be on electric only each day. When I bought my HEV, the PHEV had not yet been released in Canada, nor did I fully take the time to research it. Still I don't regret my decision for the HEV, as it's been a fantastic car and a great introduction for me to electrification of cars and when I'm ready to trade in another few years, I'm hoping to go full electric.

Sorry for the long post but I'm still getting used to the Ioniq but don't quite love it as much as I thought I would 馃
No apologies necessary. It wasn't that long actually. I've read and written much longer posts on here.

Registered
We took delivery of our brand new Iron Grey Ioniq HEV at the weekend and I'm torn. I like the colour but it is very glittery in sunlight & I'm worried it will show scratches and marks very easily.
I have another car this color and it's not too bad. I am not obsessive about the car washing, but never use automatic car washes. Also, a couple times a year I apply semi-ceramic coating spray and it seems to keep the paint fresh.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum.

Can't help here, mate, as I don't have the colour, nor am I in the UK, but I'm sure there plenty of people on here who can help you with this.

How do you mean?

For me, when I don't have my phone plugged in, I generally set it to the Hybrid chart that shows my economy for every 2.5-minute block. I get there by tapping on "Hybrid" then tapping on the box that shows my economy.

When I plug in my phone, I generally go into CarPlay and use WAZE maps (mine doesn't have built-in Nav).

Any specific questions about the infortainment headunit, feel free to ask.

Yes, your journey length and the temps are MPG killers. My regular commute to my office is only 9 km each way, which is only a little further than your commute. In that time, the car barely has a chance to become acclimated to the conditions and get it's parts running optimally before you've arrived and are shutting down. Lately I've been commuting to my sister's which is about 18 km (while working more from home and while she's recovering from a broken tibia), and with that commute, I've been able to achieve much better fuel economy than on my office commute.

Once you take it on some trips, you should definitely start seeing optimal economy for those trips. We had a warm spell last week (around 6-9掳C), where I am, and with grippier winter tyres on steel rims, I was able to get over 65 UK MPG on the commute to my sister's. First time, actually, that I've gotten a figure that good at those temps on winters or summers; but as others have reported on this forum, the car's economy seems to only get better over time and the more mileage you put on it. On trips to Toronto (about 400 km from Ottawa) in the summer, I've managed to get over 70 UK MPG. Some UK users I know have managed over 90, but I've never gotten quite that high myself.

Best thing is light on the throttle and the brakes, making use of pulse and glide driving where possible and let the car do its thing. But, definitely take it on some longer drives to see what kind of MPG you can get.

Probably a little late now, but did you consider the PHEV at all. With your commute, provided you could charge at home, your commute would basically be on electric only each day. When I bought my HEV, the PHEV had not yet been released in Canada, nor did I fully take the time to research it. Still I don't regret my decision for the HEV, as it's been a fantastic car and a great introduction for me to electrification of cars and when I'm ready to trade in another few years, I'm hoping to go full electric.

No apologies necessary. It wasn't that long actually. I've read and written much longer posts on here.
Thanks for the kind feedback, in terms of the colour it was black, white or grey. We had a black car previously and was a nightmare to keep clean/free of scratches, we thought a white car wouldn't stay looking too nice where we live due to there being quaries nearby (lots of dust) so chose grey. It is a lovely colour, very sparkly in sunlight but I'm not sure about metalic paint in general I guess.

I'm having a play with the infotainment bits, I like the split screen on main unit and currently have the mileage on the drivers display. I'll go through the options and see which ones I like the best.

I guess my commute milage wouldn't give me great MPG. I don't really have provision for the plug-in hybrid so wasn't an option; if the infrastructure around me improves regards charging stations I would definitely consider full electic in the future. I'll see how it goes, driving back from my parents house, around 6-8 miles I was getting 58 mpg or so. Again better than our diesel.

Registered
Hello GoGoCardigan,

Because I鈥檓 based in Cardiff / Caerdydd, inevitably my first question is to ask if 鈥 as your Forum name implies 鈥 you鈥檙e from Cardigan / Aberteifi?

Be that as it may, I can鈥檛 help as to owner鈥檚 experience of the grey because mine is blue (which certainly shows up the muck more than my silver car). But as to mpg, I too find that, because the majority of our journeys are shorter than 10 miles, the mpg is in the low 50s. That鈥檚 not helped by the fact that we have the heater and aircon on permanently (as well as the outboard engine in this recent weather!).

However, on aour only long-ish trip from Cardiff to Abergavenny (involving fast runs on the A470 and the Heads of the Valleys (about 75 miles round trip) the car showed a startling 71mpg. I expect that in the summer (when it won鈥檛 need the petrol engine for heating) the mpg will improve from the current figure, even on short journeys.

Hwyl,
Cymro

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Hello GoGoCardigan,

Because I鈥檓 based in Cardiff / Caerdydd, inevitably my first question is to ask if 鈥 as your Forum name implies 鈥 you鈥檙e from Cardigan / Aberteifi?

Be that as it may, I can鈥檛 help as to owner鈥檚 experience of the grey because mine is blue (which certainly shows up the muck more than my silver car). But as to mpg, I too find that, because the majority of our journeys are shorter than 10 miles, the mpg is in the low 50s. That鈥檚 not helped by the fact that we have the heater and aircon on permanently (as well as the outboard engine in this recent weather!).

However, on aour only long-ish trip from Cardiff to Abergavenny (involving fast runs on the A470 and the Heads of the Valleys (about 75 miles round trip) the car showed a startling 71mpg. I expect that in the summer (when it won鈥檛 need the petrol engine for heating) the mpg will improve from the current figure, even on short journeys.

Hwyl,
Cymro
Hi Cymro,

Unfortunately my forum name isn't based on my location, it's a phrase my daughter used to shout when she was little. From a rather strange morning cartoon if I remember correctly!

I think I'm just overly concerned about the colour due to the car being new. We have smart insurance that covers scratches, dents and stone chips so hopefully be ok.

Mpg isn't as expected but still better than our diesel. We swapped due to us usually running smaller journeys but didn't have any way of charging a plug in.

Registered
I like the colour but it is very glittery in sunlight & I'm worried it will show scratches and marks very easily. Any owners of Iron Grey experienced this or is it not too bad?
I had a 2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe in the Nordschleife Grey colour that was very similar to the Iron Grey (I once parked the Genny beside one and they were very close). In 7.5 years of ownership without any aftermarket treatments and using lots of soft cloth drive-thru car washes I had no issues with the paint. I expect that you'll be happy with it.

Registered
I've been living with an iron grey HEV for 3 months, it hides the dirt well and I have no swirl marks whatsoever after being washed 3 times by a run of the Mill car washing crew.

Like you, I wasn't all that impressed initially but I have come to love and enjoy the car.

Registered
My Iron Grey PHEV after a couple of months and 1000 miles (low milage per day) is doing rather well in all the rain and motorway and road dirt and not had its first wash.
I did opt for the paint treatment offered by my dealer as the paint is water based at the factory and can be attacked by bird lime (near the coast and lots of sea gulls).
Because I knew that milage would be low but at times greater than I could expect a full EV to go their and back on, I opted for the plugin.
Averaging about 119 miles to the gallon, through using the excess from my solar panels.
Enjoy your new car it's certainly way better to drive than the old diesel IX35 I had.

Registered
That鈥檚 not helped by the fact that we have the heater and aircon on permanently
Even when temps are below freezing, I quite often leave the climate control off and just use the seat and steering wheel heaters to keep me warm on short journeys.

Registered
But it's so wet here in South Wales - we had more than 11 inches of rain in February - that if you travel with the aircon off for even a few minutes, the car will mist up. At this time of year, aircon is essential - unless, as you say, the temperature drops below freezing when the humidity falls. Only 1 day's frost this winter, and no snow.

Cymro

Cymro

Registered
But it's so wet here in South Wales - we had more than 11 inches of rain in February - that if you travel with the aircon off for even a few minutes, the car will mist up. At this time of year, aircon is essential - unless, as you say, the temperature drops below freezing when the humidity falls. Only 1 day's frost this winter, and no snow.

Cymro

Cymro
Makes sense then.

Cheers!

Registered
But it's so wet here in South Wales - we had more than 11 inches of rain in February - that if you travel with the aircon off for even a few minutes, the car will mist up.
There's always the option to manually set De-mist, adjust the temp to Lo, then dial it down to the lowest fan speed. That won't run the engine for heat and if it's not too cold and windy outside you can get away with using just the heated seats and steering wheel to stay comfortable. I rarely do this as generally I likes me the warms, but I got away with it this morning in our 2掳C weather with a lot of dampness from the melting snowbanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Any settings to improve ride quality? The roads around me are aweful and I'm not feeling the luxury drive I thought I would!?

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Also (sorry 馃槉) do the leather seats in the premium se soften over time? I'm finding both driver a passenger seats stiff at the moment. Car is only 4 days old though so guess that'll change!?

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Like you, I wasn't all that impressed initially but I have come to love and enjoy the car.
Could I ask what you are were unsure about? I was hoping for improved mpg and I don't find the seats that comfy. Seems a bit harsh over bumps etc to me but the roads where I live are terrible!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts