Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all,

I decided to bite the bullet at the weekend and traded my 2018 BMW 3 Series for a 2020 Ioniq Premium SE plug in hybrid. Not really sure what to expect just yet but I was really impressed when I test drove it. I am collecting it on Friday this week.

I commute 70-80 miles a day in the car so hoping to get some decent fuel economy out of it over time. Looking forward to getting a charging point installed at home too, as it seems to be the future.

I’m based in Gloucestershire in the UK.

Many thanks
Mintona.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Premium SE PHEV
207 Posts
Good choice! I've had mine nearly 12 months now. No problems whatsoever. I have the OHME home charge point which works well with Octopus GO tariff. Mixed journeys. Saving a fortune in petrol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good choice! I've had mine nearly 12 months now. No problems whatsoever. I have the OHME home charge point which works well with Octopus GO tariff. Mixed journeys. Saving a fortune in petrol.
Thank you, yes hopefully I’ll get on with it ok. Hyundai recommend a Podpoint charge point, do they differ at all? I see lots of different home charging points on the market and I currently don’t know a lot about them.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
314 Posts
Thank you, yes hopefully I’ll get on with it ok. Hyundai recommend a Podpoint charge point, do they differ at all? I see lots of different home charging points on the market and I currently don’t know a lot about them.
I believe Hyundai partner with podpoint, so the podpoint one will likely be the cheapest install if using olev scheme.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe Hyundai partner with podpoint, so the podpoint one will likely be the cheapest install if using olev scheme.
Thank you I will just stick with podpoint rather than looking at various other providers. Also going to switch to Octopus Go I think. Although it won’t be as useful as if I had bought a pure electric car it should still help a bit.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
314 Posts
Thank you I will just stick with podpoint rather than looking at various other providers. Also going to switch to Octopus Go I think. Although it won’t be as useful as if I had bought a pure electric car it should still help a bit.
Be wary of octopus go, there are generally cheaper options with other providers on a single rate tariff, if you can't max out the 4 hour 5p period (which with a plugin is highly unlikely or storage heating/ large immersion heating) it can actually be more expensive as you are paying a higher rate outside of the 4 hour period for all your other electricity.
It wasn't worth it for me with a full BEV based in around.

Reactions: KevinT and Mintona

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
216 Posts
Tethered v untethered can be a hard decision! I went untethered, as it allows me to take the Type-2 cable with me when on hols etc. Some tethered cables can be a bit short, 5m is common, and might not suit if you have a longer drive, 2 cars parked up, etc. My EVSE went just inside the gge door, keeps it well out of the rain & UV decaying the plastic case over the years, and as I have a decent gap under the door it's effectively tethered. I got a 10m cable, reaches a long way! As it's always got 1 end in gge no chance of being nicked easily.

Untethered is better when you decide to have EVSE outdoors, less nickable, and you don't have to keep taking it right out & coiling up for safety every time you use it - a real pain to have to do this! So check yout cable lengths, next EV may have charge post at far end of car etc, Would you ever have 2 EVs to be charged without shuffling their positions etc? It pays to plan ahead!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts