Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings from the land of Rollin' Coal! I just drove home a 2017 Ioniq Hybrid SEL. I've had a line of Hyundai/KIA vehicles since 2001 but this is the first hybrid. My SO has a Toyota Prius, and I seriously considered getting one until Toyota hit the model with a big time ugly stick in 2017... I also had a look at the new KIA Niro, but the Niro is super cramped inside and the fit and finish was pretty atrocious. I also test drove the 2017 Honda Civic hatchback, but after reading about the Honda quality problems online I scratched that one off the list. The Ioniq I got is from the first shipment in my area, and the only SEL as far as I can tell. In the first 50 miles I hit 65 mpg (US) per the computer! What struck me most is how much better apparent quality the Ioniq. All panel gaps are dead even inside and out, and doors shut with an authoritative *thump* like a luxury vehicle. Having driven both the Prius and the Ioniq, the only thing Prius has going for it will be the brand reputation. Plus, the Ioniq doesn't seem to incite as much road rage in them truck drivin' good ole boys as a Prius :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My SO has a 2015 Prius, which got me interested in hybrids. Hyundai basically took the good bits of Prius (roomy interior, electronic gizmos, fuel economy) and improved on those... I'm not a fan of the restyled 2017 Prius. I didn't even test drive the 2017 after sitting in one. The interior has flimsy plastics and there's a weird white plastic panel in the middle of the dash, and the A-pillar is right in the field of vision. The styling of the 2017 Prius looks like they melted the previous generation Prius. My theory on it that the hybrid drivetrain in the Ioniq is so good that the only way Toyota could match it was to make the Prius lighter, hence the awful materials. As far as driving around, the Ioniq is a lot queter than the 2015 Prius. The Prius's hybrid motor makes a very distinct "space ship" whine when it spools down, and due to the CVT transmission the combustion engine in the Prius likes to rev up and make quite a racket. In comparison, the Ioniq resembles more like a typical torque converter automatic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My SO has a 2015 Prius, which got me interested in hybrids. Hyundai basically took the good bits of Prius (roomy interior, electronic gizmos, fuel economy) and improved on those... I'm not a fan of the restyled 2017 Prius. I didn't even test drive the 2017 after sitting in one. The interior has flimsy plastics and there's a weird white plastic panel in the middle of the dash, and the A-pillar is right in the field of vision. The styling of the 2017 Prius looks like they melted the previous generation Prius. My theory on it that the hybrid drivetrain in the Ioniq is so good that the only way Toyota could match it was to make the Prius lighter, hence the awful materials. As far as driving around, the Ioniq is a lot queter than the 2015 Prius. The Prius's hybrid motor makes a very distinct "space ship" whine when it spools down, and due to the CVT transmission the combustion engine in the Prius likes to rev up and make quite a racket. In comparison, the Ioniq resembles more like a typical torque converter automatic.
Welcome! I was the first Summit Gray SEL in Texas! I'm still waiting for my first Sighting of another Ioniq owner around Houston. Have not found one yet!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome! I was the first Summit Gray SEL in Texas! I'm still waiting for my first Sighting of another Ioniq owner around Houston. Have not found one yet!
Thank you! I've already gotten a lot of interest in mine, so when Hyundai starts shipping them for real, I'm sure you'll see a lot more of them on the road :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts