Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq EV
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my new 2019 Ioniq with 9 miles on the clock from my local Hyundai dealer on Feb 3rd 2020. 2 weeks later its failed and the AA have taken it back to the dealer with 100% Battery Charged and stuck in turtle mode!! Not happy and hoping a fast fix can be performed as having spent 6 months reviewing this car on many forums and owner groups I thought Id made the right choice!
I noticed a week ago that the turtle mode would come on for about 8 seconds very occasionally when selecting regen braking level 3. I had planned to take it back to the dealer but after a trickle charge of the 12 volt it seemed to clear. No idea if there's a link but a low 12volt battery can cause so many glitches and having been sitting in the showroom for several months assumed it hadn't been checked as part of the PDI.
Following a full 7kw charge for 4 hours I used the car for 10 mins and no problems but the next day after pushing the start button the turtle mode came on and wouldn't go off! The green car ready light flashing and the car wouldn't even move and a regular clicking coming from the car!!
Any ideas??

·
Registered
332 Posts
My guess is the 12V battery is done. So many failures for it noted on this forum. It powers the whole control system of the car, the large battery only charges it and powers the motor. Keep us posted on what they find.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq EV
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guess is the 12V battery is done. So many failures for it noted on this forum. It powers the whole control system of the car, the large battery only charges it and powers the motor. Keep us posted on what they find.
The trickle charge unit I used on the 12Volt over a 24 hr period diagnosed the battery as being healthy just low on the volts. I had planned to run further diagnostics on the 12volt but to see if anything was draining it and how it was holding charge but the car failed. I should know more on Monday once the Hyundai mechanics have taken a look at it and thankfully they have sent a courtesy car out. Frustrating and worrying but thankfully this happened on my driveway and not on a dark country road!

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq EV
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer called today as they start to work out whats going on with my dead 2019, 2 week old car!! "Did you use the Hyundai cable when you charged the car last?" - Im thinking about making a sarky comment about using what other cable would I use but decided not too " yes of course" says I. I ask hows things are going and they are still investigating. 5 mins later another call and they ask if I have the trickle charge cable? "Yes its in the garage why do you need it?" "No we just wanted to know where it was" The dealer then tells me that would get back to me with an update and Ive heard nothing back today.
Questions - Can a regular 7kw Pod Point charge lasting 4 hours fry a battery? Why would they ask if Ive used the proper cable? Does anyone have any experience of a charger frying a battery and surely the car has a safety swith on over cooking a battery??
Lets see what they say tomorrow but for now I have a very nice BMW320 courtesy to a rental courtesy car from Hyundai!! Watch this space!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Welcome to the forum Westjj42,

Please add your general location in your profile and model into your signature to help people give answers for your specific region and model.

A bad charging cable won't fry the battery (the high voltage one or the 12V one). A bad onboard charging module could. Also a bad DC-DC converter (charging the auxiliary battery during driving) would.

Let's see what the dealer finds and get your car back on the road again.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq EV
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Day 4 - I phoned the dealer today to get an update on my Ioniq problems and was told that they need to inspect the main traction battery. To do this they are required to have a full set of safety equipment delivered to the garage which they had to ask Hyundai for? I would have thought they would keep such equipment on site but it seems not as they haven't had to inspect the main battery before on an Ioniq!! The car had been performing as normal earlier today but then again failed and reverted to Turtle mode. Im now worried that this is going to become a long drawn out story as Im sure that should the battery need to be replaced thy wont hold such things in the spare part department!! - So for now Im driving a brand new BMW330i courtesy of Hyundai and Thrifty Car Hire which I get to keep until its fixed.....so much for my lower C02 emissions New Year resolution….
Watch this space

·
Registered
98 Posts
Day 4 - I phoned the dealer today to get an update on my Ioniq problems and was told that they need to inspect the main traction battery. To do this they are required to have a full set of safety equipment delivered to the garage which they had to ask Hyundai for? I would have thought they would keep such equipment on site but it seems not as they haven't had to inspect the main battery before on an Ioniq!! The car had been performing as normal earlier today but then again failed and reverted to Turtle mode. Im now worried that this is going to become a long drawn out story as Im sure that should the battery need to be replaced thy wont hold such things in the spare part department!! - So for now Im driving a brand new BMW330i courtesy of Hyundai and Thrifty Car Hire which I get to keep until its fixed.....so much for my lower C02 emissions New Year resolution….
Watch this space
Oh dear, sounds like a saga, and the dealer seems pretty clueless. I hope they are covering your fuel costs for the BMW!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im now worried that this is going to become a long drawn out story as Im sure that should the battery need to be replaced
You would think that getting a new battery to the dealer will take forever, but they sourced my traction motor assembly in a matter of days from Korea. After spending over 50 days with my Ioniq in service, my advice would be to call everyday on updates, be nice, and try your hardest not to loose your temper. They will eventually solve your problem. Our cars are very new to them. The one thing that I have learned is that their intentions are good, and both the dealer and Hyundai worked hard to solve my problem, but from an owners point of view it is never fast enough.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You would think that getting a new battery to the dealer will take forever, but they sourced my traction motor assembly in a matter of days from Korea. After spending over 50 days with my Ioniq in service, my advice would be to call everyday on updates, be nice, and try your hardest not to loose your temper. They will eventually solve your problem. Our cars are very new to them. The one thing that I have learned is that their intentions are good, and both the dealer and Hyundai worked hard to solve my problem, but from an owners point of view it is never fast enough.
Batteries are in short supply, traction motors are abundant, I wouldn't hold my breath.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts