Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
yuk

that trendy slap a tablet on the dash media centre

it looks so unfinished, as though the designer got told to include it at the last minute and just blutacked or gaffer taped it to the dash

one of the reasons I got the Ioniq was that everything was properly designed and integrated into the car

and that horrible honeycomb corporate grill, this mirror / corporate front were you can't tell which model is coming towards you was one of the main reasons I left VAG / skoda to get my i20

I just hope I can change mine before this horror reaches the UK

·
Registered
435 Posts
It isn’t so bad. I actually like it. The award for the ultimate slap on tablet look goes to Tesla Model 3. Adjustable regen level is nice. I would permanently set it to zero :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
That last minute slap-a-tablet-on-the-dash just looks like, it's Friday afternoon, it's 4 o'clock, let's get to the pub.

One of the reasons we selected an Ioniq hybrid was because the screen was incorporated into the dash.

Other Hyundai models have the "Oh, we nearly forgot to put a screen in, just stick one on there."

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Without better photos I can't really judge the new infotainment screen. Awaiting better/closer pictures or take a look when it arrives at my dealer. So far, I'm quite ok with how it looks. Larger is needed. Doesn't need to make the dash higher. Better so, than like in Byton.

The good thing is driver attention warning, as long as it's not too annoying. Have experienced it in another car. If if false warnings, 10 false is better than one missing. It will probably also detect when you are texting and driving. Will be mandatory in manually driven cars, in a few years, I suppose.

"Low emission areas" featured for the PHEV is brilliant, as long as it can be overridden (I suppose it will). I have sometimes forgot the put it in HEV mode on my way to Oslo. EV cars has none or lower road tolls in Oslo. This opens for that cars with this feature may have the low/zero toll, provided it's in use and on EV all the way through the city.

I also like the new grille. That's Hyuday's real logo. Says: "New Hyundai model".

·
Registered
49 Posts
I could get used to the grill, I guess, and the overlarge tablet....but what happened to the center air vents on the dashboard??? If those are gone that's a really bad choice by Hyundai.

Also, I read a review of the 2019 Ioniq and the reviewer noted that the climate controls were now operated via a touch screen...no more dials/knobs. I think I'd miss those too.

I wish Hyundai would address the simple practical stuff, like adding a trunk/cargo release button somewhere on the dashboard. Or adjusting the media center location by a 0.5 inch so that shorties like myself don't have to *lean* toward the dashboard to comfortably reach the screen.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I wish Hyundai would address the simple practical stuff, like adding a trunk/cargo release button somewhere on the dashboard. Or adjusting the media center location by a 0.5 inch so that shorties like myself don't have to *lean* toward the dashboard to comfortably reach the screen.
Interesting points!

A trunk door release button would be handy, of course, but I haven't found myself missing it either. Not as long as there is no motorized opening mechanism. It's unlocked when the car is, or you are close to it with the keyfob yourself.

The thing with an infotainment screen is that it should not be used by the driver while driving, just briefly viewed at all. The driver should have focus on road and dash, when driving. When at standstill the driver may use the screen and buttons, but then it's not so much problem leaning over a bit to reach it.

I'm all for better screen and buttons layout, but not if that implicates the driver. Things that the driver should need to adjust while driving should go to the dash and steering wheel. Looking at the screen just to confirm things. Or for the use by the passenger.

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
one thing I will be curious about

what will the changes do to the drag coefficient? as the straight line front grill maintains and directs airflow round the sides of the car

the new "corporate" honeycomb grill won't do this, will this affect it? as it will trap the air instead of redirecting it?
?have they done away with the active flaps on the grill

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I wish I knew what you are talking about, @bluecar1 :)

Isn't it just a dumb grill, as of current hybrid models?

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
I just bought a 2019 and it does not have adjustable regeneration. Unless you count shifting the car into neutral.
the 2019 Ioniq in this thread will likely become the MY2020 model when it goes on sale, as it is in pre-release status and the full spec is not yet released

this is all teaser information at this point, so Hyundai's "2019" label is a little misleading to those looking to buy it

it does say it should be on sale late 2019,

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
I wish I knew what you are talking about, @bluecar1 :)

Isn't it just a dumb grill, as of current hybrid models?
nope, not just a dumb grill

the flat level bits of the grill will guide the air flow smoothly off to the sides

the honeycomb new grill will trap the air and push it back like running a tap into a small glass, the water sprays back at the tap, this will increase the drag at the front of the car

·
Registered
1,721 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
none, but it is basic flow dynamic

a smooth surface with guide vanes will guide a flow of air or fluid along the vanes, in the case of the Ioniq front grill the air flow is directed off to the sides

the honeycomb will prevent this smooth flow and lead to turbulence and an increase in drag

the active flaps in the front grill block of several inlets at the top of the grill to prevent over cooling and aid aerodynamics of the front

from the brochure
Aerodynamic grille The signature hexagonal grille on the IONIQ hybrid features active air shutters that open and close to improve aerodynamics. The IONIQ electric conveys a unique front perspective. Without the need for extensive powertrain cooling, the grille is a sleek, smooth surface

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Hmm. I see. Any reason to believe this is not continued?

·
Registered
37 Posts
According to the official Hyundai blurb, the two panels in the present grill open and close depending on the speed of the vehicle.

At slow speeds, they open to allow airflow in to cool the engine and at higher speeds they close to aid the airflow over the vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do we expect the SafetySense features to include everything the 9 innovations 360 degrees? i.e. (Front Collision Avoidance /Pedestrian detection, Driver Attention Warning, Blind Spot Collision Warning, Lane Keeping Assist, High Beam Assist, Safe Exit Assist, Smart Cruise Control, Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Warning, Rear occupant Alert)

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/why-hyundai/smartsense.aspx

What exactly is Green-zone Drive Mode (GDM)?

How big is the battery going to be in the hybrid, Plugin and EV?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
About this Discussion
72 Replies
36 Participants
anasawawdeh
Hyundai IONIQ Forum
A community of Hyundai Ioniq enthusiasts discussing the electric acceleration & reliability of the Hyundai ioniq hybrid.
Full Forum Listing