Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
full article at
New Hyundai Ioniq plug-in joins hybrid and electric models at Geneva | Autocar

The Hyundai Ioniq plug-in (PHEV) model has made its debut at the Geneva motor show, joining the recently launched hybrid and electric versions that are already on sale priced from £19,995 and £24,495 respectively.
The Ioniq is Hyundai's first dedicated hybrid and full-electric model and also the first car from any manufacturer to be offered with three electric powertrain options within a single body type.

Engines and gearbox
The Ioniq PHEV combines a 104bhp 1.6 GDI direct-injection petrol engine that's mated to a 55bhp electric motor. The motor is powered by a 8.9kWh lithium ion polymer battery to enable 39 miles of pure electric driving. The car produces CO2 emissions of 26g/km and offers up to 257mpg, according to the New European Driving Cycle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
One question unanswered is what effect on the boot with the PHEV batteries make, I assume the boot will be smaller than the Hybrid but bigger than the full Electric. That could be the decision point when it becomes available.

The placing of the plug point on front wing means it will be suitable for where our charger is already placed at home whereas the socket position on the full Electric model would involve us moving it as we have a thethered charge point meaning just a longer cable would solve it.

Obviously the pricing is important too!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
One day, PHEV's will be technologically and economically redundant compared to EV's, but for 2017 the burden of lugging both batteries AND a combustion engine is the right compromise for many drivers. I think IONIQ PHEV will be a big seller and I can't wait to see it in North American showrooms ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
welcome Luca Riffer

please introduce yourself over on New Member Introductions - Hyundai Ioniq Forum

it was the reason I went for the hybrid, current range of EV's are not suitable for me, the premium of the plugin over the hybrid would have been to much and it wasn't available when I needed to swap my car

I have a drive and could get a charger ok, but the journeys I do I would not really benefit from a plugin

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
One question unanswered is what effect on the boot with the PHEV batteries make, I assume the boot will be smaller than the Hybrid but bigger than the full Electric.
The boot space difference between the hybrid and the PHEV is about 3 cubic feet (from two different sources). Coincidentally, that is also about the size of the spare tire space below the floor. Another source said the PHEV battery would not change the load floor. Add it all up and the main boot space will not change. That said, I'm not convinced that added battery will fit into that space. We should have better details in the next couple of months.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
"39 miles of pure electric driving"

better than Volt, but not by much.
much nicer car overall than Volt however.
Better? The Volt offers 50 miles of "pure" electric range. It is also much faster and fun to drive than the Ioniq, but with less storage and likely much more costly, on the order of $7,000 US. All in the eye of the beholder of course. Speaking of eyes, in my eyes the Volt is better looking than the Ioniq. But because of the other tradeoffs, I'm unlikely to buy the Volt over the Ioniq PHEV (the Niro with identical drivetrain is even more likely my choice).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts