Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, picked up a 2020 Ioniq Electric Preferred in Typhoon Silver this week. Very happy with the car so far. I've only plugged it in via the included trickle charger so far, but eventually I'll find my way to a proper public level 2 charger.

Quick question that I'm sure everyone's covered dozens of times... does everyone set their charge maximums to 90% for battery longevity? I'm about to get the car ceramic tinted in the hopes that it'll cut down on my HVAC usage. My current avg energy use is around 10-11 kWh/100km, which to me is mind blowing. It seems like this car might actually be the most efficient EV out there... or else I just drive 30 years older than I am :LOL:

Any recommendations on home charge stations? The car is capable of 7.2kW charging, so I'd imagine any 32A charger is good to go? I'd probably like to have wifi included to keep track of energy use at home. Any canadians/BC residents have insight on what to expect for a quoted price for full install of 14-50 plug/charging unit?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

90% is the safe level for maximum longevity, but 100% is fine if you're mostly using it the same day. Besides which, the longevity on these cars has proven to be quite good: Before the 2020 models it always went to 100% unless you carefully did the math to program the scheduled charging to stop it earlier, yet nobody on these forums (some owning their cars for four years now) has reported any noticeable battery degradation. There's a top buffer estimated to be about 5%, so "100%" isn't really 100% as far as the battery chemistry goes.

I can't speak to the pricing in BC but I've been quite happy with my made-in-Canada FLO Home X5 charger. Its not WiFi though, it uses power line networking and comes with an adapter that you plug in near your router then connect with an Ethernet cable. For some that's a plus because you can put it on the outside of your house or at the edge of your driveway (it's ruggedly built, hangs its cord nicely, and quite weatherproof) where the WiFi sucks and it still works great, Strangely it tops out at 30 amps rather than 32, but the Ioniq doesn't need those last 2 amps anyways. If you get a second EV and another FLO, they can be set to relay charging from one to the other and share a breaker, which can save you from a costly electrical service upgrade. It's a future proof choice, which is why I got it. Their web portal lets you export usage data for any time period as a spreadsheet, so you can manipulate it however you want. They also have a public charging network and it tracks usage across that as well.

Reactions: Angrymoose

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info about the Flo X5 Kevin, thanks for that! Is the powerline and adapter reliable? Does it need to be on the same circuit?

Also, how is the Flo’s app? Does it track kWh used, or let you input a cost per kWh?

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric Preferred Iron Grey
12 Posts
Congrats on the vehicle! I have nearly the same one (different colour) here in Ontario.

I just had an EvoCharge installed. Here it cost about $400 to install and was $679 all in on Amazon. But I have a partially unfinished basement and mounted it to an exterior wall about 30' away. So, material costs were about half the cost and install was pretty cheap. I also already have a 200A panel because we had baseboard heating before. I used a 40A breaker and 50A cable and 6-50 plug on the exterior of my house (it is a 32A charger).

It pulls 7.2kw and charges pretty darn fast. I set mine to 90% and use the Bluelink app to set to 100% if I'm going on a longer trip the same day and only takes 40 minutes to top it up. I've only charged it to 100% about four of five times so far. In the winter, I'll be doing to same thing, while keeping it plugged in more frequently for preconditioning.

I think a little over 1kw is lost during the charge itself to heat and whatnot. I'd expect more loss in the winter and really hot weather if the battery needs to be regulated, but I've only heard the coolant system kick on so far on level 3 chargers.

The EvoCharge does not have wifi, but was the least expensive that had a proper NEMA rating for outdoor use and had decent support and warranty. I use the Bluelink App to manage my charge, since I'll be using it for preconditioning later on. It's a good app, but lags a bit and you'll need to budget 1-2 minutes for it to fulfill commands like unlocking, start, preconditioning or just checking the battery. Hopefully this gets faster with updates but is still convenient even with the lag.

I've used the Flo and Chargepoint chargers in the wild and I actually like the Flo app best. It's simple and not very in depth. But if you want more access to charging history and whatnot the Chargepoint might be a better choice. I just found the way the level 3 charger I used was weird. It said it charged me $10 to my account to begin charging and I should have used $3 of that on my charge. Nothing was charged at all. So, I was glad to get a free charge, but annoyed that it didn't give me my balance and tell me what I actually should have been charged.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Great info about the Flo X5 Kevin, thanks for that! Is the powerline and adapter reliable? Does it need to be on the same circuit?
No, my X5 is connected directly to a 40A breaker in my panel with it's own circuit, and the adapter is plugged into a 15A utility outlet below it (it was close to an existing Ethernet jack, much of my house is wired with Cat6). In the year I've had it it has never gone down. I suppose I could experiment and move the adapter to an outlet in the spare bedroom near another jack there and see if it still works alright.

Also, how is the Flo’s app? Does it track kWh used, or let you input a cost per kWh?
The FLO app is pretty basic. I can go to My Charging History but it doesn't put it all in one place, you have to select between individual stations (of which I only have the one X5) or the mobile app (for charging elsewhere on their network). When I select my station it shows the last 30 days by default, but you can tap the calendar icon to select a specific month:

The FLO web site has a similar basic look but works a little differently. If you select History, it shows you "All my sessions" with a drop-list at the top from which you can select between "All my sessions", "On the go charging", and "At home charging". Not sure how the 'at home' option would work if I had two X5 stations for two EVs. You can pick a specific date range (for example, 2020-07-14 to 2020-08-30) and there are options to download the resultant view as either a .xlsx file (Microsoft Excel) or .xml file (standards-based gobblety gook you'd have to write code for to process).

You get more detail in the .xlsx file than in the app or on the web view, but if you want to enter a cost and get a total you have to open Excel and add that formula for yourself. I used it to create a multi-sheet workbook that tracked my first year of savings which I summarized in this post:

New Member Introductions> Because 2019> post #30

Edited: Screenshots added

·
Registered
715 Posts
So I just moved the power line networking adapter to the bedroom furthest from the electrical service panel, connected it through a coiled extension cord and a long Ethernet cable, and it still connected fine (three green lights):

I verified connectivity by unplugging my car, and promptly received the 'session ended' email showing that the FLO Home was still connected through to its server.

Reactions: Ou Boet
1 - 7 of 7 Posts