1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
See the complete EPA list here. So, it seems that the 2020 Ioniq EV is 2% less efficient than the previous model (133 MPGe vs 136 MPGe). In kWh/100mi they both have the same number 25 kWh/100mi whereas the 2020 Model 3 (Standard Range Plus) now has 24 kWh/100mi while the 2019 Model 3 had 25 kWh/100mi.

It is good that in recent years, with their Model 3 Tesla finally made good steps concerning efficiency, where their older Models S and X were quite inefficient: about 30% less efficient than the Ioniq EV or Kona EV. I wonder how Tesla made the last step from the 2019 Model 3 (25 kWh/100mi) to the 2020 Model 3 (24 kWh/100mi).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tesla has made significant savings in terms of weight, as the Model S&X weighted 2 ~ 2.5 tonnes each, Model 3 weights from 1.6 ~ 1.8 tonnes depending on spec.

Electric motor design has also migrated from 3 phase AC induction motor to Permanent Magnet synchronous type for Model 3.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I saw that too. The cost of the car is the issue. The base RWD is just under $40K. If you want AWD it’s nearly $50K. They make you think it’s cheaper by factoring in the ”fuel savings cost” on the website for the first cost number you see. More range though, 250 miles, but no front drive option which is too bad for the snow belt, If they had a front drive option for that price they would sell even more, the Ioniq is still going to be $31k base price from what I hear so far. I will try to do a calc and see what the real payback is on that extra MPGe. My guess is a very long time to make up the $9K difference. Do they warranty Tesla’s for 10 years?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I saw that too. The cost of the car is the issue. The base RWD is just under $40K. If you want AWD it’s nearly $50K. They make you think it’s cheaper by factoring in the ”fuel savings cost” on the website for the first cost number you see. More range though, 250 miles, but no front drive option which is too bad for the snow belt, If they had a front drive option for that price they would sell even more, the Ioniq is still going to be $31k base price from what I hear so far. I will try to do a calc and see what the real payback is on that extra MPGe. My guess is a very long time to make up the $9K difference. Do they warranty Tesla’s for 10 years?
I wouldn’t bother with doing the calculation. It will take forever to make up $9k with that small of an efficiency gap. It does get roughly 30% more range compared to the new Ioniq. You have to give to Tesla that they achieved higher efficiency with a heavier car / bigger battery.

I wish it had some more features like Apple CarPlay, heated steering wheel, coast mode. Then I would definitely consider trading in the Ioniq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Can't go by EPA ratings. Tesla tends to be optimistic, while Hyundai tends to be conservative. WhatCar.com did a real world test (more realistic than EPA), and some interesting results. Tesla did not fare well. The Hyundai Kona was actually the best. There are 4 pages, have to go to the last page for the best.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If they had a front drive option for that price they would sell even more, the Ioniq is still going to be $31k base price from what I hear so far. I will try to do a calc and see what the real payback is on that extra MPGe. My guess is a very long time to make up the $9K difference. Do they warranty Tesla’s for 10 years?
My last car was a 2012 Genesis Coupe, a 3.8L rear wheel drive with a six speed manual. It dyno'd at 275 wheel horsepower and drove just fine in Ontario winters on a staggered set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s. In these days of modern traction control the idea that you need front wheel drive for the winter is a myth.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can someone create a price per efficiency ratio? Or maybe a price per range ratio for the Ioniq full EV and the Tesla 3 to compare the two.
I still think our Korean engineers are doing awesome design magic to make this car 'THE AFFORDABLE TESLA'!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
My guess is a very long time to make up the $9K difference. Do they warranty Tesla’s for 10 years?
Let's not forget the Model 3 is in a different league from the Ioniq. So it being more efficient is quite an achievement, even though the Ioniq has set some standards for its class. But doing the math according to how long you'd have to drive a Model 3 to make good for the price difference is meaningless. They are different segments with different purposes. If it were all about efficiency vs price, we should all ride e-bikes.

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
Let's not forget the Model 3 is in a different league from the Ioniq. So it being more efficient is quite an achievement, even though the Ioniq has set some standards for its class. But doing the math according to how long you'd have to drive a Model 3 to make good for the price difference is meaningless. They are different segments with different purposes. If it were all about efficiency vs price, we should all ride e-bikes.
Can you explain what exactly is different concerning league? Is the Model 3 a little bit smaller in cargo space? Or what?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can you explain what exactly is different concerning league? Is the Model 3 a little bit smaller in cargo space? Or what?
Well, do I need to explain the difference between eg a BMW 3 series and a Volkswagen Golf?

But since you ask:
  • FSD Hardware
  • Sentry mode
  • OTA updates
  • bigger battery
  • stronger motor
  • best in class crash resistance
  • fast charging
  • supercharger network
  • wheelbase 287.5 cm versus 270 cm
  • length 469 vs 447 cm
  • online services
Just to mention some things....

·
Registered
38 Posts
M3 is just an overpriced econo sedan. Ioniq much nicer interior, with less buggy software for driver assist features. I know, because my son has one, and it is not what most people think.
First off, I am absolutely no Tesla fanboy. But their software model is unparallelled. What's buggy now will be smooth as butter in probably one year from now. They have all sensors and hardware to theoretically achieve full self driving. And their software just gets better and better. Assuming that the Ioniq will always have better driver assist than a Tesla is a bit short sighted if you ask me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since we are talking about efficiency, I would like to see real road test between ioniq2019 and TM3. EPA tests are useless.
I never heard or seen TM3 having the same or more efficiency than ioniq.
Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
Well, do I need to explain the difference between eg a BMW 3 series and a Volkswagen Golf?

But since you ask:
  • FSD Hardware
  • Sentry mode
  • OTA updates
  • bigger battery
  • stronger motor
  • best in class crash resistance
  • fast charging
  • supercharger network
  • wheelbase 287.5 cm versus 270 cm
  • length 469 vs 447 cm
  • online services
Just to mention some things....
That does not make a league. It is just some a bit more expensive car in the same league with pluses and minuses, with price among the minuses.

P.S. Can you add some more background info in your signature and profile, such as region or country and the car you are driving and what is your relation to the Ioniq?

·
Registered
38 Posts
That does not make a league. It is just some a bit more expensive car in the same league with pluses and minuses, with price among the minuses.

P.S. Can you add some more background info in your signature and profile, such as region or country and the car you are driving and what is your relation to the Ioniq?
Then please define league. The Ioniq for all I know is a compact hatchback, the Model 3 is a midsize sedan and is generally considered to be in the luxury segment of BMW 3, Mercedes C etc, hardly where you'd place the Ioniq.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In terms of interior size, don't think there is that much differences between the two. In terms of comfort, I find the Ioniq is every piece as good as the Model 3. However in terms of outright performance, handling, range and build-in tech, Model 3 is quite a bit ahead.

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
Then please define league. The Ioniq for all I know is a compact hatchback, the Model 3 is a midsize sedan and is generally considered to be in the luxury segment of BMW 3, Mercedes C etc, hardly where you'd place the Ioniq.
Is there a problem with giving your background info? If so, let us know; then we can help you. We have the policy of asking each member to provide such background info, as the forum members have the right to know from what perspective someone writes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is there a problem with giving your background info? If so, let us know; then we can help you. We have the policy of asking each member to provide such background info, as the forum members have the right to know from what perspective someone writes.
I updated the 'About me' section in my account settings, and set location, allowed all visitors to see it, set my profession and one line about myself. No idea why it's not showing.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts