Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery of my Ioniq EV on Saturday and thus far have to say I am loving driving it :D

However, there are a couple of niggles that I have noticed that I would welcome folks opinions on as I have never bought Hyundai before so don't have any sense of what is normal.

The first is a slight misalignment between the front and rear passenger doors. This misalignment is about 4mm and I have attached photo that I hope shows this.

The second issue is a defect in the paint/bodywork on the passenger sill. To me this looks under the paint so don't think it happened after collecting the car but I could be wrong I guess. I have attached a photo of this also. There is actually another very small blemish on the paint quite high up the rear passenger side pillar. This is definitely a small fibre of some sort trapped beneath the paintwork but my iPhone refused to focus on this hence no photo.

I have read somewhere that Hyundai paint quality can be questionable at times and that the paint on some Hyundai's is considered 'soft' by car detailers.

So I guess I am asking is this the quality level we should expect from Hyundai ....?

Attachments

Reactions: Peter

·
Registered
843 Posts
Congrats on finally taking delivery :)

That misalignment looks to me from the photo that it is the trim that is not pushed down fully rather than the door not being true.

And as for the paint, I personally would not accept that, get back in touch with the dealer. Especially, if you are leasing it. - you'd have a hard time proving that that defect was there on delivery, regardless of how obvious it is that it was already there!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @Alien-S :) On a side note at least I never had the rear brake noise issue ... at least not yet?

·
Registered
843 Posts
at least I never had the rear brake noise issue ... at least not yet?
Neither did I this morning, but yesterday had it more than any other day - including over a speed bump!

Dealer is having it back tomorrow for a 'temporary' fix \ safety check.

·
Registered
130 Posts
my car had a hair like item under the top driver side pillar, only noticed it a few days after, Hyundai are covering it with warranty, as its obviously under the paint. if it has the top lacquer over it, they can't argue it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
suffice to say today I had an i20 diesel loaner car, manual. since my last car was a manual, its strange how quickly I have got used to the auto gearbox! driving a loud diesel, manually and sitting in traffic with the engine shuddering away like a tractor, I realized for a moment, I could never got back to a full petrol/diesel engine. even the dude at the service centre, who apparently never driven an ioniq shared that he thought driving my car was really smooth and comfy.

I think if people had a go in ioniqs or hybrids, they would be sold in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I wonder these blemish maybe is from manual "rework" job, fixing scratches after the robot paint job. I can't believe they come from the factory like this. My last Hyundai is like 20+ years ago which have better paint job than these.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks @chrisb2001 thats reassuring ... and if you don't mind I will grab a copy of your photo in case I have to argue "it is not just me!" :)

As @sc8888 says these flaws don't seem like the work of a robot as most robot paint shops I have heard about seem to be managed as "clean room" environments.

I have the car booked in with the service manager in a couple of weeks time to discuss these issues - he is apparently on holiday and I am his first customer on the day he returns :)

I will post a summary of what he says on this thread in the hope it may help others.

Reactions: chrisb2001

·
Registered
130 Posts
my friend works in a body shop at mercedes and took a look at it, he determined that it was most likely caused at the factory. As he can see no obvious signs or repair work from delivery.

The main thing is, that if its going to be claimed under warranty, hyundai require that the paint work is restored with a proper paint respray on the section, where the car gets baked after again. They will not allow a smart repair, so make sure the dealer does'nt try and pull that one!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I agree, trim piece just doesnt look quite aligned right as the 'chamfer' of the door is different front to rear.

I am really very suprised that the paint issues were not picked up during its PDI.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok my European brothers/sisters, please define "niggles". I think I understand but want to insure clarification for this Yank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks to all and my tire pressures were also high.

So It is not really a niggle but seeing my mileage does give me the giggles.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts