Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you have to join the navigation system to a wifi network to get access to cameras, traffic etc.

Do you have to reconnect each time by going through the menu, or does it automatically connect?

Is it like when joining your phone, laptop etc to wifi whereby it remembers lots of wifi ssids etc?

Just curious, as I have a mobile wifi card that I use when I need to remotely connect to the office for work, which I will use when I really need data on the move for the navigation traffic, but for example, when leaving home or the office, will it automatically join to those wifi networks just to pull data down whilst in range?

I hope that makes sense.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
yep, the NAV system auto reconnects to the wifi connections that have been setup

I do a lot of traveling and nights in hotels for work and my phone hotspot has the same name and key as my home wifi, and it auto connects between the two with no issues

unlike many other systems the NAV system don't download and store camera databases, it needs to be connected to the internet to warn about cameras and traffic

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

I have just had a look about, whilst Huawei do the 12v cig lighter version that has to be turned on and off, they do a usb dongle that acts as a wifi hotspot, or can be plugged in to devices, its the E8372

I have actually just ordered one, to check it out, as it powers on when power is applied.

I am also getting a 24gb for 2 years 3 sim card for it, only £28.

I think I have read that the usb in the centre console is permanent, but not sure about the one in the armrest. Should one not be switched live, I will put one in using a fuse tap.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I am fairly certan the one in front of he wireless charge turns off with the acc setting for the ignition,

page 3-137 of the manual says
To use the cigarette lighter, the ignition switch must be in the ACC or ON position.
not sure about the USB charge point in the arm rest

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's good to hear as would t want the dongle on all the time. So will plug dongle in to armrest port.

Just put a load of fire wood away and the chap turned up with the dongle so time to check it powers on when power applied. If so that will be how my car will connect to wifi when out and about. From what I recall the USB is in the rear of the armrest compartment facing forwards. Is it orientation landscape or portrait to look at? I will order a shirt USB extension with a right angle connector so the dongle is less likely to get bashed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Has anyone any experience of how much data is used by the satnav getting the traffic and camera information on, say, a one hour journey?

·
Registered
725 Posts
This was on a 2 1/4 hour journey. I reset my data stats at the start

1.5MB over the personal hotspot of a total of 31MB. The satnav is the least of your worries :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
What is the difference between Personal Hotspot and the 28 MB? Is the 28 MB not taken from your credits?

·
Registered
725 Posts
What is the difference between Personal Hotspot and the 28 MB? Is the 28 MB not taken from your credits?
Personal hotspot data useage is 1.5MB I would assume the 28MB Time and location to be the phone and all the other apps that use location services ON THE PHONE rather than the satnav in the car.....it has its own GPS receiver so will get location and time data from there

And that 28Mb is for the apps I allow to use location in the background. I dont allow all of them if I have no need of it in a particular app

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
It is not so clear yet. Do you mean that the private apps on your phone use the GPS from the car to get their data and not the paid Internet connection from your phone?

·
Registered
725 Posts
It is not so clear yet. Do you mean that the private apps on your phone use the GPS from the car to get their data and not the paid Internet connection from your phone?
The car satnav is a dedicated unit that has its own GPS (and hence location and time) but has no data connection of its own and therefore needs a personal hotsport connected via its wifi to get the live traffic information (and speed cameras).

Therefore the phone provides that by providing a wifi hotspot to provide an internet connection from its 4G or whatever as well as servicing all the apps on the phone over its 4G signal.

Therefore on my 2 1/4 hour drive my phone consumed 31MB of data in total of which 1.5MB of that data was the data provided to the satnav via the personal hotspot. Not a lot and far less than the phone would use had the satnav not been connected as that only added 1.5MB

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
So, it will be easy to not have the 28 MB consumed and limit your total use to the 1.5 MB if your phone has no active personal apps that need these data?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yes....well assuming it can all be turned off....using a dongle as mentioned by others on here wouldnt have the problem of apps as it wouldnt have anything else running so the data would the be low 1.5MB....quite to what extent things can be totally disabled on a phone I dont know (or care personaly....I have 5GB allowance on mine and never even get past the first GB so its never a concern for me)

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
OK, thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
RichieDan, where did you get the sim card from? Most sim only data lasts about a month or maybe two. Two years for £28 is a great deal.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
Little up.

I'm using the Hotspot on my iPhone to get WiFi in my Ioniq. But it does not autoconnect. Bluetooth connection is established but no wifi, I connect the usb and still no wifi, i'm driving and never wifi. I only get a connection when i go to the Hyundai settings to wifi AND my hotspot tab is open on my phone, then the wifi appears and it connects.
Anyone else experiencing these problems?

I'm thinking about buying a Wifi dongle to put in the usb in the armrest, anyone some advice buying a certain one that works well in their Ioniq?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts