Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I bought my Ioniq 5 Standard Range RWD I have been finding on certain chargers (eg all of the ones in my province) my car seems to be "capping" my charge rate - I can't get over about 40KwH out of our 62KwH chargers. I have more information on the problem in a Reddit post (bottom of this post).

To my great frustration, my dealer seems unwilling to look into it further - "well, you are getting fast charging out of fast chargers, what more do you want?" It's not the temperature and it doesn't seem to affect other cars at the same charger at the same time - even other Ioniq 5 standard range vehicles. Chargepoint (which manages all the chargers I can easily get to) doesn't differentiate RWD from AWD Ioniqs so I can't check that way. If I could find another owner experiencing this I could at least try to find points of similarity!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ioniq5/comments/vgwvuz

·
Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
170 Posts
Ever since I bought my Ioniq 5 Standard Range RWD I have been finding on certain chargers (eg all of the ones in my province) my car seems to be "capping" my charge rate - I can't get over about 40KwH out of our 62KwH chargers. I have more information on the problem in a Reddit post (bottom of this post).

To my great frustration, my dealer seems unwilling to look into it further - "well, you are getting fast charging out of fast chargers, what more do you want?" It's not the temperature and it doesn't seem to affect other cars at the same charger at the same time - even other Ioniq 5 standard range vehicles. Chargepoint (which manages all the chargers I can easily get to) doesn't differentiate RWD from AWD Ioniqs so I can't check that way. If I could find another owner experiencing this I could at least try to find points of similarity!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ioniq5/comments/vgwvuz
14 degrees is still far from the optimal battery temperature for charging (~30). I don't know enough about the current and voltage limits on chargers by power, but it may well be that at 14 degrees, you get something like 75% of the rated power at a 50kW charger, a 62kW charger or a 350kW charger (in that case it'd be 75% of ~240kW). It's probably not that simple, but the argument is that at lower temperatures, high currents can damage the battery and possibly other electrical components; lower-power chargers are 400V as opposed to 800V so you get half the power at the same current.

This is why preconditioning is such an important feature. Really, really hoping Hyundai pushes it to 2022 models when they release 2023s.

As a side note, units. It was hard to understand your post because of your incorrect units.

kWh: a unit of energy, like miles is a unit of distance
kW: a unit of power (energy per unit time), like km/h is a unit of speed (note that in both cases you just divide by hours: kW = kWh/h)
kW/h is not usually a meaningful unit. It would be an increase in power over time.

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
926 Posts
If you go drive the car an hour and stop at a charger do you see closer to the advertised speeds?

If I stop by a 150 kW charger at the end of a day of driving I'll see the high 130 kW's. If I drive straight over cold ( 1mile away) I'll be lucky if i crack 100 kW and mostly stay in the 80 kW's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
14 degrees was the outside temperature - I had been driving for perhaps a half hour when I arrived. I didn't have my OBD2 dongle attached but the software showed within a minute or two I was up to 40kW but then charging speed stopped abruptly. Battery temperature was not a factor.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD
341 Posts
The 58kwh battery has a different charging curve to the 72.6kWh and to 77.kWh battery. All 3 batteries sizes charges 10 to 80% in 18mins so there is definitely software controlling how many kW the battery can receive. Fastned hasn’t tested the SR IONIQ 5, but have done the SR EV6 and that only peaks at 175kW compared to 234kW for the LR EV6.

The battery temperature is not the defining factor to charging speed, it’s battery temperature and battery SoC. I was at a 180kW charger yesterday, car had 25% SoC and battery min. temperature was 12°c. Got 70kW at the start and once the battery got to 20°c was receiving 120kW (50% SoC). Battery got to 26°c when it was over 60% SoC and didn’t go higher than 120kW.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The battery temperature is not the defining factor to charging speed, it’s battery temperature and battery SoC. I was at a 180kW charger yesterday, car had 25% SoC and battery min. temperature was 12°c. Got 70kW at the start and once the battery got to 20°c was receiving 120kW (50% SoC). Battery got to 26°c when it was over 60% SoC and didn’t go higher than 120kW.

I understand this. But I have found that this apparent cap seems to be in place whatever the initial state of charge or temperature and affects me on all of the (similarly configured) fast chargers in Newfoundland.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Preferred RWD
43 Posts

I understand this. But I have found that this apparent cap seems to be in place whatever the initial state of charge or temperature and affects me on all of the (similarly configured) fast chargers in Newfoundland.
Hi. I am in toronto. my experience is the charging current is capped by charging station. Previously I can get 67kw as maximum, but it is 45kw recently.

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
926 Posts
I'm not sure if canadian utilities work like US utilities, but do the charging stations you're going to have tesla power packs?

I know EA uses them because utilities in the US charge varying rates on amount and rate power is pulled from the grid so they put them in between the cars and the grid to allow them to minimize their cost to provide power to those charging (super common in europe).

If the Canadian utilities work the same and that isn't in between the car and the grid i wouldn't be the least surprised if the charging provider capped speeds during peak hours to prevent from hitting the rate of charge cost thresholds.

·
Registered
Ultimate | Lucid Blue
355 Posts
I recently drove from PEI to Cape Breton and back. Other than using level-one occasionally while at my destination, I charged exclusively at Flo chargers. They are all identical. I was able to get 50Kw out of three of the chargers I used, however two others maxed out at 37Kw.

I assumed that this was an internal setting, seeing as Flo charges by the hour, so a longer session would net a bigger return for the site owner.

This experience wasn't unique to my sessions as the Plugshare check-ins for that particular set of chargers all report the same speeds by people driving various other EV.
Font Screenshot Wheel Tire Technology

1 - 11 of 11 Posts