Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Update: Had the locking actuator replaced. Now Level 2 Charger Locks. YAY

HOWEVER...

L3 DCFC STILL fails to charge. Shows errors. Dealer will contact Hyundai Canada and see what they say on the fix to this issue.

Maybe DCFC charge circuit needs to be replaced, but that's just my guess. More annoyance! Was hoping that part fixed every issue.

One problem fixed, second problem still not resolved. No major problems with the car up to this point. Sigh.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey all,

I need your help to jog my memory and help figure out what seems to be going on. I have a MY2018 Ioniq BEV and last Sunday I attempted to charge via L3 DCFC but the "charger" never ended working even after trying 10 times to try to get it to engage. The screen in the car would say DCFC Charger Error, I did not snap a photo. Before this the 3 charging lights would blink all 3 at the same time. I chalked this up to the actual L3 charger possibly being down because in the charge app it said the charger was in an unknown state, so I was thinking the machine was down for maintenance or faulty. In the mean time I charged via L2 and L1 to get needed charge.

Now in the distant past I remembered (but not sure) that my Ioniq would lock the L2 charger (J1772) into place when I locked my car. So J1772 would be unable to remove unless you unlocked the door to the vehicle. Then I remember that the lock would re-engage and lock the J1772 connector after a couple of seconds. Is my memory correct and that this is standard behaviour for the Ioniq BEV?

Fast forward to today and I'm trying to charge at a different L3 DCFC station. The first L3 I try, it won't start the charge. So I try a 2nd machine. It too fails. Then I wait for the person already charging at the 3rd machine to leave and try that one since I can see its working. Nope, the car doesn't want to charge, blinks 3 lights and gives off a DCFC Charger Error on the screen.

Now I'm at home charging via Level 1. It appears to be charging. And I just noticed that even my car door is locked, I can still pull out the J1772 connector during charging. I don't remember being able to do this without unlocking the vehicle door, but thats why I'm here asking because I cannot fully remember what the normal behaviour for the car is.

Can someone help point out what could possibly be going wrong?

Thanks!
I know its been 2 years but I have the same issue. What was the solution to this issue?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I know its been 2 years but I have the same issue. What was the solution to this issue?
since the part was replaced (charge lock actuator) and didn't work for a week or so, it magically started working on it's own and has never failed since. Sometimes these things are weird.

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
1,000 Posts
DCFC charging errors, are generally a problem with the DCFC unit or network, not the vehicle.

Reactions: vanctour

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
39 Posts
DCFC charging errors, are generally a problem with the DCFC unit or network, not the vehicle.
I second that. Sometimes I get an error when connected to a DCFC. All I do, is disconnect, hit the reset (shutdown) button on the DCFC and then reboot it, pug in and start charging again and it usually works.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I generally agree but in my case I'm 100% sure it was the vehicle charge lock actuator because it happened on FLO, Chargepoint for DCFC multiple machines and locations, even ones that there was someone charging there perfectly fine and not working for me. Also the behaviours for DCFC and L2 were abnormal. DCFC error on screen after the charger and car starts communicating and trying to click to engage charge lock actuator for DCFC. And L2 while the vehicle is charging should lock the charger. In my case you could yank out the cable during an L2 charge while locked. Now its all working as it should.

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
1,000 Posts
I generally agree but in my case I'm 100% sure it was the vehicle charge lock actuator because it happened on FLO, Chargepoint for DCFC multiple machines and locations, even ones that there was someone charging there perfectly fine and not working for me. Also the behaviours for DCFC and L2 were abnormal. DCFC error on screen after the charger and car starts communicating and trying to click to engage charge lock actuator for DCFC. And L2 while the vehicle is charging should lock the charger. In my case you could yank out the cable during an L2 charge while locked. Now its all working as it should.
Yip, then it sounds like your vehicle has a problem. Best visit a dealership ASAP.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts