Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I need your help to jog my memory and help figure out what seems to be going on. I have a MY2018 Ioniq BEV and last Sunday I attempted to charge via L3 DCFC but the "charger" never ended working even after trying 10 times to try to get it to engage. The screen in the car would say DCFC Charger Error, I did not snap a photo. Before this the 3 charging lights would blink all 3 at the same time. I chalked this up to the actual L3 charger possibly being down because in the charge app it said the charger was in an unknown state, so I was thinking the machine was down for maintenance or faulty. In the mean time I charged via L2 and L1 to get needed charge.

Now in the distant past I remembered (but not sure) that my Ioniq would lock the L2 charger (J1772) into place when I locked my car. So J1772 would be unable to remove unless you unlocked the door to the vehicle. Then I remember that the lock would re-engage and lock the J1772 connector after a couple of seconds. Is my memory correct and that this is standard behaviour for the Ioniq BEV?

Fast forward to today and I'm trying to charge at a different L3 DCFC station. The first L3 I try, it won't start the charge. So I try a 2nd machine. It too fails. Then I wait for the person already charging at the 3rd machine to leave and try that one since I can see its working. Nope, the car doesn't want to charge, blinks 3 lights and gives off a DCFC Charger Error on the screen.

Now I'm at home charging via Level 1. It appears to be charging. And I just noticed that even my car door is locked, I can still pull out the J1772 connector during charging. I don't remember being able to do this without unlocking the vehicle door, but thats why I'm here asking because I cannot fully remember what the normal behaviour for the car is.

Can someone help point out what could possibly be going wrong?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium
791 Posts
The conection always locks while charging (To help prevent disconnection under power). There is an option in the settings to unlock afterwards automatically (for tethered chargers), or when you unlock the car.
Normally I can hear the locking mechanism running when it acts (when the cable is connected and charger is activated). Can you hear this?
Could be the locking mechanism, servo motor, wiring, a fuse maybe? Probably a job for the dealer next time.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I’ve used a rapid charger a couple of times and my own L2 charger frequently. Both lock in place every time. Whether car is locked or not. If you unlock car, the charger will lock again after a few seconds as you say.
if headlights are on auto, you have press unlock on the fob twice to unlock the charge cable. No idea why!!
it does sound like a job for the dealer.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The conection always locks while charging (To help prevent disconnection under power). There is an option in the settings to unlock afterwards automatically (for tethered chargers), or when you unlock the car.
Normally I can hear the locking mechanism running when it acts (when the cable is connected and charger is activated). Can you hear this?
Could be the locking mechanism, servo motor, wiring, a fuse maybe? Probably a job for the dealer next time.
The past year I've remembered that it was indeed locking the J1772 for example, when I locked my car door. So someone wasn't able yank out the cable during charge. Now when I lock my car door, the J1772 can be removed during charge. I haven't touched any settings. I haven't had a schedule or anything in the settings like that modified.

Yes I remember that I would hear the locking mechanism click when the vehicle is locked, I do not hear this any longer, which probably explains why DCFC no longer works at all, because the connector is NOT being locked into place.

Now I'm thinking I should end up getting an extended warranty because I plan to keep this vehicle for a while (8-10 years)...if this and other things end up failing, and extended warranty would be good to have.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I’ve used a rapid charger a couple of times and my own L2 charger frequently. Both lock in place every time. Whether car is locked or not. If you unlock car, the charger will lock again after a few seconds as you say.
if headlights are on auto, you have press unlock on the fob twice to unlock the charge cable. No idea why!!
it does sound like a job for the dealer.
Yes, mine no longer locks in place. No matter what I do, I still can yank the J1772 out during charging for L2. This probably explains why DCFC no longer works, that this is a requirement before a DCFC can proceed (for safety and protection) with a fast charge. I no longer hear the click or motor whine.

I have made an appointment at the dealer but they are booked right through for the next 11 days due to the winter season. In the meantime I will continue to charge via L1 and L2. But since I charge on a driveway without access to a garage with L1, I'm a little paranoid someone will end up unplugging and stealing the trickle charger since it no longer locks in place.

Now I'm thinking I should end up getting an extended warranty because I plan to keep this vehicle for a while (8-10 years)...if this and other things end up failing, and extended warranty would be good to have.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It is covered for 5 years 60k and 10/100 on the Powertrain. Don’t rush for an extended warranty.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think the problem is with the quick charge relay or charge control module. I would check the T/gate fuse and “charger” fuse on the attached too . The charger fuse controls the lock. Also ig33 fuse. Those are all associated with charging.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
I urge you to test this :
Disconnect the 12V battery terminal (which ever is more convenient) for a good 1 hour, then reconnect. See if it helps and if it does, happy motoring!

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,354 Posts
The auto lock button position is irrelevant here since the plug is not locked during charging.
Exactly, it's really an auto-unlock button.

·
Registered
562 Posts
But how would the control system react if that button was broken or stuck in the “pressed” position?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi.
I work at a dealership in Norway and the problem you have I very normal in Norway. It's usually the locking acutator in the Charging port.
In Norway (Oslo) it's a recall on about 300 cars so just take it to the dealer.
And ask about campaign 70C095

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have made an appointment at the dealer but they are booked right through for the next 11 days due
I wonder if you owned an ICE car and called about a stuck fuel cap and therefore couldn't put fuel in, whether you would have to wait 11 days....:unsure:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the problem is with the quick charge relay or charge control module. I would check the T/gate fuse and “charger” fuse on the attached too . The charger fuse controls the lock. Also ig33 fuse. Those are all associated with charging.
Good idea, I will check the fuses and let you know. Thanks!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi.
I work at a dealership in Norway and the problem you have I very normal in Norway. It's usually the locking acutator in the Charging port.
In Norway (Oslo) it's a recall on about 300 cars so just take it to the dealer.
And ask about campaign 70C095
Thank you!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I looked at all the fuses and they were fine, but I also another thing I did not hear before...

In the car with the charger plugged in, if I press the lock and unlock on the FOB, I hear four clicks I've never heard of before. I press lock, 4 clicks, I press unlock, 4 clicks. I think it sounds like the relay or locking mechanism trying to engage and disengage.

Do others have the same noise in their Ioniq BEVs?

In this video it starts from 7 seconds to the end of the video where you can hear the clicking after the doors are locked and unlocked only when the charger is plugged in.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts