Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is going to be a personal list of what I really like about the car, and what I hate about it.
I've tried getting the most polarizing things, so what positively surprised me and I'm still liking, and what could've been better.

Pros:
- Handling is very good;
- Looks are - imo - very good;
- Infinity sound system is an absolute blast!
- Hyundai's sat nav seems to work quite well, and given you can share smartphone's hotspot, it also gets real-time traffic data and re-routes accordingly; (I like Google Maps through Android Auto, but you don't get directions on the speedo display)
- I love electric seats - wife and I have our own settings and even mirrors adjust, leaving only rear-view to be corrected manually and voila - ready to go;
- Heated steering wheel - absolute must for those cold days before car warms up!
- EV drive is awesome - people turn around to look at the car, moving past them in almost perfect silence!
- Mileage!
- For all its hybrid-ness, Ioniq is nowhere near spaceshipness of Prius - which is what I like about it. Doesn't feel like engineer's wet dream, but like a regular car that doesn't require rocket-building degree to operate it;
- Liftgate! Easily swallows 4 17" tires without the need to fold rear seats down!

Cons:
- Single data-transferring USB port - can't have both USB dongle with music and smartphone connected as Google Maps engine; come on, Hyundai, two ports is a must if you don't allow for Android Auto through WLAN/BT!
- Seats feel too short - my legs don't get enough support;
- It took me a month to finally figure out driving position that was perfect - it doesn't take that long in other cars (my Wife's Mazda CX3 requires like 2 adjustments and I'm fine driving across Europe...);
- For some reason, my Ioniq gets primary-targeted by birds' poo bombing raids; need to wash it off every second day - I love animals, but I'll make an exception and start shooting these b******s!
- Windshield top line seems a little too low, or the windshield itself - too short; should be a little taller (going a little higher onto the roof) as it happens way too often that I need to either stop long before lights to actually see them, or move forward to see traffic light change; Oh, forgot to add - I like sitting low and the roof line is an issue, let alone for my wife who likes SUV-like sitting height;
- Trunk floor mat is a little flimsy, doesn't encourage putting anything heavy in the trunk. Could've been more rigid.

All things considered, I think it's quite a good car with minor issues that - while I acknowledge their existence - do not break the entire experience.
Still, if these cons are ironed out, plus a few other minor issues like increasing interior finish quality, I think Hyundai will steal good part of the market in the coming years.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
You must be reaaaalllly tall.... I have not experienced any of those seating problems, I actually find the drivers seat very comfortable.

So how tall are you? And is it true what they say about tall men?

Reactions: ajiom

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd agree with the comment about traffic lights and the difficulty seeing them. In the UK there is a trend to remove the 'repeater' lights at the far side of a junction, so if you pull up close to the stopping line it is almost impossible to see the lights which are above your head. I tend to sit well back from the steering wheel and so the roof-line is quite a way in front of me.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
The trunk floor is also stronger than it looks or feels . I've got a thread on it ....somewhere :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
TKGDee - I'm not tall at all (175cm, but forgive for not being able to translate that to foot/inches), I just prefer when my legs are more stretched than angled in a chair-like position. Got this from my old MX5, I think - the F1-car-like position, which I enjoyed greatly in a car :D

chunga68 - I'll look for it, thanks :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
I love the heated seats,the back-up camera, the smooth, quiet handling and the mileage (of course.) I don't love the view out the rear-view mirror-the field of view is small.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You must be reaaaalllly tall.... I have not experienced any of those seating problems, I actually find the drivers seat very comfortable.

That they wear long trousers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts

Tut! I thought it was us men who were supposed to have one-track minds ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm 175cm tall, which is - converter data here - 5 ft and 8.89 inches. Close to 5 foot 9 it seems then :)

(... )And is it true what they say about tall men?
I don't know, what do they say? 0:)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also forgot to add one thing, but since I'm not using SPORT mode too often, only remembered just today when I actually did use it.
In every car I've had the opportunity to drive so far, the + and - signs for gear changes are pull down (back) to put in higher gear, push (forward) to reduce the gear.

It's the opposite in Ioniq, lol. Don't get me wrong, I got used to that in an instant (just like in my motorcycle, where horn and indicator switches are swapped in comparison to normal bikes), but still - who thought that would be a good idea? :D

This doesn't change anything though, I still love my car. But I'm also not blind to its faults and share observations in honesty :)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
0:)
I wasn't being dirty.. just wondered if he had big feet..

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
She who? Who's legs? You can't drive with your legs closed anyway!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Pro's- Gas mileage, or course.
Smooth, quiet ride
Seat can be raised high enough for me to get in & out easily. (Very important for the 90-year old knees on my 58-year old body.)
Ability to pre-heat or pre-cool from the app
Smart cruise control

Cons- Limited rear-view
Spare tire not included (though I have purchased one.)

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Yes, and only in the US up till now. But maybe also in the Ioniq PHEV this option could be available in the US?

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
What energy is used when you do preheating for a hybrid? Gas or battery?

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
OK, I didn't know the battery can deliver enough energy for that.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts