Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to stop by to get a feel for my local dealer. See if they're excited about the changeover to EV's or if they seemed clueless or anti EV and was favorably impressed. I've heard stories of Ford dealers actively steering customers away from the Mach E. My dealer, as I assume most Hyundai dealers are, is already hip to the EV thing with the original Ioniq and the Kona electric but said they were really excited about the Ioniq 5 coming. They said they were expecting their first allocation in December/January. They also said customers are much better off ordering through their dealer instead of the Hyundai USA website. They also said they never have and never will add a dealer markup. MSRP is the price, which I'm cool with. So, so far so good. Hope it works out this way

·
Registered
Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh), Ioniq 5 AWD Limited reservation
11 Posts
Decided to stop by to get a feel for my local dealer. See if they're excited about the changeover to EV's or if they seemed clueless or anti EV and was favorably impressed. I've heard stories of Ford dealers actively steering customers away from the Mach E. My dealer, as I assume most Hyundai dealers are, is already hip to the EV thing with the original Ioniq and the Kona electric but said they were really excited about the Ioniq 5 coming. They said they were expecting their first allocation in December/January. They also said customers are much better off ordering through their dealer instead of the Hyundai USA website. They also said they never have and never will add a dealer markup. MSRP is the price, which I'm cool with. So, so far so good. Hope it works out this way
@Will DaBeast - Was that the Frederick or Gaithersburg Hyundai dealership you spoke with?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmm... I was left underwhelmed by a visit to our local dealer (Southern California) in September - the (young) salesperson we spoke with seemed to know his stuff, but the older ones didn't give me that impression (in briefer encounters).

The only visible charger, kinda hidden, was obviously broken and had not been used for a while.

But they must have another charger, because we did take a 2021 Kona EV for a spin (very nice).

Anyway, FWIW, I sent them a message gently suggesting they need to up their game pretty soon.

I think the dealership is focusing on selling what they have and will worry about the future when it comes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm... I was left underwhelmed by a visit to our local dealer (Southern California) in September - the (young) salesperson we spoke with seemed to know his stuff, but the older ones didn't give me that impression (in briefer encounters).

The only visible charger, kinda hidden, was obviously broken and had not been used for a while.

But they must have another charger, because we did take a 2021 Kona EV for a spin (very nice).

Anyway, FWIW, I sent them a message gently suggesting they need to up their game pretty soon.

I think the dealership is focusing on selling what they have and will worry about the future when it comes.
When I went in first thing I said was I didn't want to waste a salesman's time since the car I want isn't available yet and they were really busy so could I talk to a manager. I asked the manager if they were getting/are ready for the EV change over and that I was there to feel them out and get a general vibe of the place. Manager told me they were upgrading all of their charges and having more installed, if I remember correctly, and that they were certified by Hyundai as one of their preferred dealers with their training. Then he introduced me to a salesman who seemed to know his stuff and took my info and is going to keep me up to date on any info he gets. I realize they're salesmen and could just be blowing smoke but it seemed good at this point. As a side note the person I used to carpool with bought all of her cars there and never had a problem with them. So at this point it looks good.

·
Registered
173 Posts
They also said customers are much better off ordering through their dealer instead of the Hyundai USA website.
Do they know there is no ordering available from the website 🤷🏻‍♂️ nor will there be for the initial allocation to the US for reservation holders.

Dealers may not markup but they still will get you for mandatory add-ons. I found an available ID.4 AWD due to arrive in December and the dealer wants MSRP + $1500 for paint/dent protection insurance and window tint + $699 dealer fee. Needless to say we did not come to terms.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do they know there is no ordering available from the website 🤷🏻‍♂️ nor will there be for the initial allocation to the US for reservation holders.

Dealers may not markup but they still will get you for mandatory add-ons. I found an available ID.4 AWD due to arrive in December and the dealer wants MSRP + $1500 for paint/dent protection insurance and window tint + $699 dealer fee. Needless to say we did not come to terms.
Yes, they new it was a reservation system that closed pretty quickly and doesn't guarantee you a purchase. My carpool buddy who has bought several cars from them said they offer you that stuff so you can decide if you want it. They don't put it on then add it to the price. But we'll see.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
558 Posts
This is from the reservation web site when I placed my reservation in June. It clearly states the dealer will set prices, etc. even for reserved cars. I don't like it but it is what the site said.

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Document Number

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just called my local Allentown, PA Hyundi dealer and asked when they would get a 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 demo model for test drives. The salesperson first said she had several Ioniqs for sale. I said no, not the Ioniq hybrid the new Ioniq 5 electric plug in. She asked me to hole on while she checked on that. When she came back on the line, she informed me that Hyundai is not authorized to sell electric cars in PA. You folks in CA may have dealers who want to gouge you pricewise but at least they are aware of the Ioniq 5. this dealership is clueless. I sent her a link to the 2022 IONIQ 5 | Electric SUV, Global Reveal | Hyundai USA site in hope she might just look at it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I may be wrong but I think Hyundai and Kia are only selling the Ioniq5 and EV6 in 13 states to start. Then supposedly the rest of the country at some point. And I don’t think Pennsylvania is one of those first states.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
558 Posts
KRIOOR per the Hyundai web site:
Currently, 2022 IONIQ 5 will only be sold in AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, IL, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, TX, VT, VA, and WA. Additional state availability coming in mid 2022.

Like normal, the dealler does not have the correct information.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
KRIOOR per the Hyundai web site:
Currently, 2022 IONIQ 5 will only be sold in AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, IL, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, TX, VT, VA, and WA. Additional state availability coming in mid 2022.

Like normal, the dealler does not have the correct information.
I just don’t understand how when someone’s livelihood is tied to moving product you wouldn’t be fully up to date on those products. It wobbles the mind.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 RWD Long Range Advanced
7 Posts
I just don’t understand how when someone’s livelihood is tied to moving product you wouldn’t be fully up to date on those products. It wobbles the mind.
It's so crazy to hear about your problems with clueless dealers in the states, here in Denmark the dealers have been drooling with dollar signs in their eyes with the opportunity of stealing tons of customers who would normally never buy a Hyundai..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's so crazy to hear about your problems with clueless dealers in the states, here in Denmark the dealers have been drooling with dollar signs in their eyes with the opportunity of stealing tons of customers who would normally never buy a Hyundai..
Exactly. You’d think money grubbing capitalism is something we’d be good at. Oh well. 😀

·
Registered
12 Posts
I may be wrong but I think Hyundai and Kia are only selling the Ioniq5 and EV6 in 13 states to start. Then supposedly the rest of the country at some point. And I don’t think Pennsylvania is one of those first states.

PA is included in the 18 states the I5 will initially be sold in.

if you go to 2022 IONIQ 5 | Electric SUV, Global Reveal | Hyundai USA and scroll down to the Insider portion, you will see the following:
By clicking or tapping the "Become an Insider” button, I acknowledge that I have read and agree to Hyundai's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Currently, 2022 IONIQ 5 will only be sold in AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, IL, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, TX, VT, VA, and WA. Additional state availability coming in mid 2022.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts