Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I shocked it back to life!

Everything was okay just last night. Went out for dinner and came back home with no drama. Got a call this afternoon to pick up Steam Link, lo and behold nothing happens when I approached the car. No welcome light, no unfolding mirrors. Pressed the button on the handle to unlock - nothing. Press the unlock button on the fob - nothing. No response at all.

Manually unlocked the door the tried turning on the cabin lights - still nothing! So it's either a totally drained battery or a blown master fuse. Tried to open the boot, guess that requires power as well so no luck there. Folded down the rear seats and noticed there's a manual latch from the inside to open the boot. Crawled my way into the boot (that was awkward) and opened it manually.

I suspected the battery was drained, so tried to jump start it with a neighbour's car. Luckily it went back to life, and battery-in-the-boot thing actually made it easier. Now I have to figure out why the battery totally drained out, not even the interior lights would turn on. Called the nearest Hyundai service centre (about 100km away) and it being the weekend the service part isn't open. So I'll have to wait till Monday to bring her in. Total inconvenience as I'd have to take leave from work just to sort this out. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again tomorrow.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Awful news for a car registered January. Many were hoping it was an early model fault. Now it seems it can strike anyone down, any time. Hope you get it sorted via pcb replacement. Good luck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Awful news for a car registered January. Many were hoping it was an early model fault. Now it seems it can strike anyone down, any time. Hope you get it sorted via pcb replacement. Good luck.
Just because it was registered in Jan doesn't mean it not an early build, surely? Just depends how long it took to get through the system.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Just because it was registered in Jan doesn't mean it not an early build, surely? Just depends how long it took to get through the system.
the last 5 digits of the VIN number of those with the battery issue seems to be 9000-11000 so far which were all early units

·
Registered
278 Posts
the last 5 digits of the VIN number of those with the battery issue seems to be 9000-11000 so far which were all early units
So far... queue ominous music.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
My last digits are 003522. This is below the 9000. Is mine an earlier than early unit???
No problems this far. Except that it turns out to have some supernatural skills concerning ghost hunting (as pointed out in the Dirty Radar thread).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Is the battery in the boot a standard style car battery with proper terminals, or is it like the lead batteries you get in proper building burgular alarms and full fire alarms which have spade connectors etc? If it has proper car style terminals I might get a cheap battery booster pack to carry around in the boot for a while.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does anybody know if this is a known fault that Hyundai don't know about or an unknown fault that just this forum knows about? Or an unknown fault that Hyundai does know about? ... sorry starting to sound like Donald Rumsfeld.....

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I think we may be in the area the know what is failing, so likely in the root cause analysis or designing fix phase, once they are comfortable the fix is working we may see a recall program, but think it seems to be a time so they need to confirm fix actually works so will be a few months before we see if a recall occurs as they will want to confirm if "fixed" cars fail again with same fault

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To be fair we don't know yet if my car's flat battery is actually caused by the same fuel pump PCB issue. It could be as simple as leaving something on, unlikely as that is. I've checked and confirmed that headlamps, interior lighting, and wipers were all left in auto. Even if they were left in manual on position the car would have turned them off after a short while, exactly to protect the battery from discharging.

Maybe we should have a spreadsheet somewhere to compile details of these failures. That would make it easier to track and show to the dealers / Hyundai HQ as well. At the minimum it should have VIN range, mileage when the failure happened, how it was fixed (if it was fixed), and link to the discussion thread. Then we can tell if it's a time-based issue, batch issue, etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts